Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk3 Service Intervals - Cam Belt

Hi,

I am looking to buy a mk3 GS300. I just wondered if any owners here could tell me what the service interval is and when the Cam belt should be changed?

The car I am looking at is a 55 plate with 63,000 miles. The last owner had it for less than a year and the dealer is a bit cagey about the service history.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I am looking to buy a mk3 GS300. I just wondered if any owners here could tell me what the service interval is and when the Cam belt should be changed?

The car I am looking at is a 55 plate with 63,000 miles. The last owner had it for less than a year and the dealer is a bit cagey about the service history.

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Have you driven a 3GS yet? I bought mine a few months ago and it's a great car, but I could talk about it's merits all day, so to the point.....

A 3GS should have had a 'minor; oil and filter change, service every 10K or every 12 months. A 'major' service is every 24 months or 20k. Make sure that the service history is up to date! Don't worry if there is no paper work, the Lexus dealer will verify. Check also recall work was done, steering and brake callipers, again a call to Lexus will verify.

Im guessing there should be 4 stamps in your potential puchase's service book, 2 minor and 2 major.

Hope this helps,

John

The good news is that the 3GS doesn't have a belt drive so no cam belt changes needed.

Thanks John,

I couldn't that info on the web.

I have only had a short test drive in a one but unfortunately the dealer has now sold the car.

I'm still looking, but the second hand prices seem to be going up. Last November with high fuel prices and the promised higher road tax you could pick one up for just over 10K, now there is not much less than 13K.

Hopefully I will find one soon.

Mark

Thanks John,

I couldn't that info on the web.

I have only had a short test drive in a one but unfortunately the dealer has now sold the car.

I'm still looking, but the second hand prices seem to be going up. Last November with high fuel prices and the promised higher road tax you could pick one up for just over 10K, now there is not much less than 13K.

Hopefully I will find one soon.

Mark

Hi,

There are a few of the 3GS's about with prices on the high side. Take a look in Autotrader and do a national search, worth travelling for the right car. I bought mine at an independent dealer and saved a bit of money. You do right in going for a car registered before March 06, this will save about £200 a year in road tax.

Good luck with the search, it will be worth it! ^_^