Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h And Towbars

I have a RX400h, which I think is the bees knees ….. I want to return to caravanning and called my local Lexus dealer to ask the price for fitting a towbar and electrics, also what was the max weight I should tow. The dealers reply was that it is not advisable to fit a towbar to a hybrid.

I see from previous threads that back in 2005 and 2006 this was partially discussed and no-one was saying anything detrimental about towbars and hybrids at that time.

I would appreciate any comments from any-one with a towbar on an RX400h, is it okay or not.

Many thanks in advance ………

A few weeks ago I wanted to fit a bar across the rear bumper of my RX400h, I contacted 3 Lexus Dealers who all said it couldn't be done, as the bar I was looking at was designed for the RX300. The dealers agreed that the chassis for the RX300 and mine the RX400h were different, BUT if I wanted to fit a towbar that was fine and it was the same as the RX300 ????????? they couldn't explain that one :hehe:

I obtained an agreement with the supplier that if it didn't fit then he would give me a full refund, I ordered it and IT FITTED. They told you it was not advisable, did they explain as to why?

The moral of this story is, don't believe everything that people tell you, even Lexus dealers.

:whistling:

Tony

Sorry Topdown I've deleted your text, :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago I wanted to fit a bar across the rear bumper of my RX400h, I contacted 3 Lexus Dealers who all said it couldn't be done, as the bar I was looking at was designed for the RX300. The dealers agreed that the chassis for the RX300 and mine the RX400h were different, BUT if I wanted to fit a towbar that was fine and it was the same as the RX300 ????????? they couldn't explain that one :hehe:

I obtained an agreement with the supplier that if it didn't fit then he would give me a full refund, I ordered it and IT FITTED. They told you it was not advisable, did they explain as to why?

The moral of this story is, don't believe everything that people tell you, even Lexus dealers.

:whistling:

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the update .... They did not give a full reason, just saying it was not advisable due to it being a hybrid :excl: .... Curious thing however, in the 400h owners manual there is a section on fitting a towbar and towing .... I'm going to call a couple of other Lexus dealers in the morning to see what they say. ...... Pete

Lexus Woodford fitted a detachable towbar to my new RX400H last July without question.

The towbar is made by Westphalia-Automotive, type 335305600001, max nose weight 80Kg, Towing capacity 2000Kg

Lexus will probably charge £800-£1000 to supply and fit this towbar.

You can save a heap of money by sourcing it on the internet and fitting it yourself (that's what I should have done, since the installation is not difficult)

Towbar details (including fitting instructions) at: http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/index.php?id=54&L=1

A very small cut has to be made at the bottom of the rear bumper, but you wont see it unless you bend down

Hope this helps

BMcP

I don't know if this applies, but it might be worth checking to see if by fitting an 'unapproved' tow bar it does not invalidate your insurance. What I mean by 'unapproved' is that if the official Lexus line is 'no tow bar can be fitted to the Hybrid' and then you go about having one fitted and there is a road traffic collision...you can see how this might go.

I don't know if this applies, but it might be worth checking to see if by fitting an 'unapproved' tow bar it does not invalidate your insurance. What I mean by 'unapproved' is that if the official Lexus line is 'no tow bar can be fitted to the Hybrid' and then you go about having one fitted and there is a road traffic collision...you can see how this might go.

On another tack - the instalation instructions for the towbar electrics specifically mention the RX400 as does the Lexus instalation instructions for the removable towbar.

see

http://techdoc.lexus-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2

Respectfully sugestthat the lexus dealer in question appears to be somewhat confused.

Thanks guys for the answers so far, and the URL ..... It does indeed look like my Lexus dealer is somewhat confused, although in their defense they did say it is “not advisable”, and not that it could not be done. .... Having seen the responses, then I have no doubt that I will have one fitted … This has been most helpful …

You would think in today’s economy the dealer would be looking to be more helpful and more inclined towards giving the customer what he wanted …. This dealer may well have blown it as far as they are concerned as there are two or three other dealers in easy distance. In addition, I have found a mobile guy that seems to know what it is all about and uses genuine Lexus parts, so that may well be the route forward .. lets see what he quotes ....

Next job is to find the shed on wheels ……. :D

I have a RX400h, which I think is the bees knees ….. I want to return to caravanning and called my local Lexus dealer to ask the price for fitting a towbar and electrics, also what was the max weight I should tow. The dealers reply was that it is not advisable to fit a towbar to a hybrid.

I see from previous threads that back in 2005 and 2006 this was partially discussed and no-one was saying anything detrimental about towbars and hybrids at that time.

I would appreciate any comments from any-one with a towbar on an RX400h, is it okay or not.

I had a genuine tow-bar fitted to my RX400h by Lexus M/Keynes before I collected car. No comments from them about suitability- in fact tow-bar is listed in accessory list. Mine is fine and car tows very well.

Thanks guys for the answers so far, and the URL ..... It does indeed look like my Lexus dealer is somewhat confused, although in their defense they did say it is “not advisable”, and not that it could not be done. .... Having seen the responses, then I have no doubt that I will have one fitted … This has been most helpful …

You would think in today’s economy the dealer would be looking to be more helpful and more inclined towards giving the customer what he wanted …. This dealer may well have blown it as far as they are concerned as there are two or three other dealers in easy distance. In addition, I have found a mobile guy that seems to know what it is all about and uses genuine Lexus parts, so that may well be the route forward .. lets see what he quotes ....

Next job is to find the shed on wheels ……. :D

Lexus Park Lane wanted to fir the full towing kit including oil radiator @ £2500. Told me it was mandatory if you were fitting a Tow bar. Rang round 5 other dealers who said they had never heard of it being a requirement. Ended up fitting it myself which want as easy as I had hoped mostly becausde I couldnt see how to get things apart but only cost me 440 in the end for exactly the same kit including wiring for a detachable instead of the 1200 I was quoted by lexus.

Mobile guys tend to patch in electrics as opposed to using the wiring kits which is why I ended up avaoiding them.

rgds

Stephen

I purchased my RX400 with exactly the same idea in mind & advised the dealer of my intentions, they stated it wouldn't be a problem.

There are two towbars listed by Lexus for the RX400, a fixed towball item & one with a removable towbar. Both prices can be beaten by third parties. Witter for example offer what seems to be the same removable unit for rather less than my local Lexus dealer's quote.

So long as you have the towbar fitted by a reputable agent & that it meets the current legislation you shouldn't encounter an problems as far as warranty goes, only any items affected by the actual fitting may become subject to "debate" if you have to make a claim, alternatively pay Lexus prices & ensure all is well on that front.

As to insurance, make sure you tell your car insurer that you are proposing to tow & then stick to the nose weight & GVW (train weights) applicable to the car & your licence & go & enjoy your vacations.

There is/was at least one member on here who wrote up his experiences of towing a large tandam axle caravan with an RX400, searching the past posts will hopefully bring that to light & reassure you further.

Bon Voyage!

Thanks MartyCee and others ... Bought the caravan, and it is a twin axle so the comments made back in 2006 are very reassuring ... Also spoke to other Lexus dealers about fitting and all seem willing to do so. I guess my local chappie had too much work on so gave me the elbow. All now looks very positive thanks to the input on the forum ….

Need to make the various bookings now and get on with it. :D

• 3 weeks later...

....and start saving for the fuel for the 17mpg I get when towing my 2 ton rig with my 400h :-(

Does tow it well though pulls it away from the lights on Battery alone which suprised me. Make plenty of use of the 'B' gear to save your pads though !

Thanks MartyCee and others ... Bought the caravan, and it is a twin axle so the comments made back in 2006 are very reassuring ... Also spoke to other Lexus dealers about fitting and all seem willing to do so. I guess my local chappie had too much work on so gave me the elbow. All now looks very positive thanks to the input on the forum ….

Need to make the various bookings now and get on with it. :D

• 8 months later...

For what its worth Lexus Norwich advised no problem to fitting a towbar to my RX4000H (2007). They explained that if it was not ordered as new they would simply contact the local Towbar dealer to fit a Westphalia or Witter but I was welcome to go direct. Quotes ranged from £230 (fixed) to £800 removable. It was clear that for a detachable both brands required a bumper cut but the Westphalia cut was much smaller than the Witter however @ £100 more. Eventually had the Westphalia fitted in Oct 2009 for £ 530 including all electrics. In the end the fitter didn't cut the bumper but if you look anally carefully there is the faintest of bulge discernible at the bottom of the bumber. Car tows substantial boat perfectly - not sure what immersing the rear wheels in salt water is doing for it but TGF Company Cars!

same comments as above. Had a witter fixed towbar fitted by an independenat garage after Lexus were incapable of getting me a price. Chap did it on my drive in 2 hours and it tows my caravan with no problems. I cant remember the cost. Better than my Mk1 RX in fact.

I had my towbar a lexus one for the 400h fitted when the car was new in 2005 circa £1000, it had to be a fixed one as that was the only one they made.

I tow 6000 miles a year with a 1750Kg caravan no problems.

Just as a footnote to the towing with the RX400h ..... The only issue I have had is the nose wheel weight ... Lexus RX400h has a towing nose wheel weight limit of 80Kg. This it seems is nothing to do with the tow bars (both fixed and removable) but is a limitation of the hybrid technology with only the front wheels being mechanically driven from the engine itself. The rear wheels are electric powered and Lexus (according to a couple of dealers I questioned) says that you cannot exceed this 80Kg as it puts too much strain on the electric motors by loading the back of the SUV too much. This in my book is a severe limitation to towing a twin axle vehicle as it is difficult to get a balanced load below 110Kg with my particular van.

This is also a problem as the Witter bar under the back of my 400h is quite clearly marker "nose wheel weight of 80Kg" … Exceeding this and having an accident will of course invalidate the car insurance as you will be breaking the law …or so I have been told.

Nothing it seems is simple :tsktsk: ……… Best of luck guys …… I sold my 400h and bought a Merc SUV with a nose wheel weight of 140Kg as I did not want to sell the caravan.

This is a shame as the 400h was a terrific vehicle. :)

• 4 years later...

Hi - Just been quoted £960 to fit towbar to a 2012 Lexus RX 450h by Lexus Southampton. My concern is having the electrics completed. I have had a local company quote of £660 including electrics. The Parts department in Southampton are not able to provide sound advice on exactly what they are fitting for the price hike. I will phone other Lexus dealers to see if I can get a confident answer. Has anyone else had a bar fitted to a 450h? Should it be detachable.

Ray Neilson

It's a Lexus dealer - if you can afford a 2012 RX, they assume you will happily pay £1k for a towbar. The one at the local place will be identical but they don't have the luxury of a captive and well-heeled market, hence the 'proper' price.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't give you some flannel about them knowing the car better and where best to wire the connections etc, etc.

It doesn't 'need' to be detachable - purely an aesthetic thing. Mine is detachable, apart from the fact that the previous owner lost the key. I could order another one but I'm not sure I'd even bother taking it off...

I was told that if I wanted to have a tow bar fitted by Lexus, for an extortionate price, that I'd be best off going to them because of the sophisticated electrical system, only their 'technicians' would be able to fit a tow bar, as they have to go on extensive courses to do this.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I've installed polish tow bar kit with 13-pin connector to 2008 US-import RX400h. It took me three workday evenings where most time was consumed in unbolting trunk stuff and removing bumper.

Then hardware install took about half hour... and completing electricals was about one afternoon as finding fog light and reverse wires was painful ands then to wire amp box to constant 12v avoiding to go through firewall or underneath vehicle.

If installing another I would estimate half workday effort.

And that polish kit wasn't expensive and fits very nicely... Fixed hitch is almost status symbol for hybrid...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
On 01/05/2009 at 2:31 PM, steve haley said:

Lexus Park Lane wanted to fir the full towing kit including oil radiator @ £2500. Told me it was mandatory if you were fitting a Tow bar. Rang round 5 other dealers who said they had never heard of it being a requirement. Ended up fitting it myself which want as easy as I had hoped mostly becausde I couldnt see how to get things apart but only cost me 440 in the end for exactly the same kit including wiring for a detachable instead of the 1200 I was quoted by lexus.

Mobile guys tend to patch in electrics as opposed to using the wiring kits which is why I ended up avaoiding them.

rgds

Stephen

Stephen,

Did you install a canbus towing module?  Did it work automatically, or did the ecu need to be reprogrammed? 

• Hi I have a 2011 450h. When I bought it I told the dealer it would be used for towing a 1750Kg caravan. He never batted an eyelid, he did say that to have a towbar fitted by them would be very expensive but if I wanted they would get one fitted before I collected it for around half the price they would charge. I eventually got a Westfalia detachable fitted locally for around £600. The car tows like a dream. Just the same as my previous RX400h did, no problems with any part of the transmission (mechanical or electrical). As regards a canbus towing module I cannot be sure but wasn't anything special as far as I know just the repeater for the lights etc and a buzzer. The 400h didn't have to have the bumper cut but it did bulge outward slightly at the bottom of the bumper where the socket was for for the towball but it was hardly noticable. The 450h on the other hand did have to have part of the bumper removed.
  • Hope this helps
  • Bri

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links