Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Along At 70 In 5th Gear Engine Light Start Flashing

Asi

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had the same problem with mine when i supercharged it, lost 3 cylinders.

fitted 6 new coilpacks and 6 new spark plugs, exspenisve but totally worth it.

i got mine from camberly auto factors and it work out at £60 a coilpack brand new with 2 year guarantee.

cant get a pic at the moment but its the electrode bit that is missing and its no where to be seen. only thing i could think of is that it has gone in the engine

I would be amazed if it had gone in the engine without causing some fairly catestrophic damage. If it is the top part of the plug that the coil pack clips onto, then I suspect it has been broken off before, removed from the coil pack and then the coil pack just pushed back on. The spark is most likely strong enough to jump the gap under the coil pack and still fire the spark plug in the combustion chamber.

the broken one has oil on it

When the engines running well mate the plugs are usually a light grey/light brown in colour, black usually shows its running a bit rich? :unsure: I check my plugs quite regular on mine to see how its running and usually there a light grey/ brown colour, Now you have the IK22's fitted they will probably be better being a cooler plug? but worth checking in a few miles to see how there going, if there dry and black when you next check them then there running too cool?

i've put my IK20's back in mine as the IK22's were going black, and the IK20's seem ok at the moment :D

right i see. well i have put ik22 in them now. just awaiting coil packs and then i will replace them aswell. how would i know if the bore is :tsktsk:

right i see. well i have put ik22 in them now. just awaiting coil packs and then i will replace them aswell. how would i know if the bore is :tsktsk:

Not too sure to be honest mate, if it was running too hot it might have just melted the end so hopefully its ok :unsure:

Not too sure to be honest mate, if it was running too hot it might have just melted the end so hopefully its ok :unsure:

right hopefully the new coils get it up and running.

That's what I was thinking too Stav, surely it's the one on the right that's broken/melted ?

As for what's on the tip though, might that not be affected by coil pack problems, i.e. if you're getting misfires due to coil pack malfunction, then surely you might get the plug coated with something that isn't usually there ? So it might mask the problem ? But plugs in cylinders that are working correctly should show the state of how the engine is running ? :unsure:

does the end bit look like it was broken away or burnt away? Could be the latter in which case you might not have to worry so much about damaged bore etc?

if you know anyone with an endoscope then you could look down no.2 bore and see what it looks like with that? Rare I know, but some garages or people might have one!! :-)

ngk g1 was used. dont know when they were changed mate.

Is that all it says on the plug ? I can't find "G1" as a type of NGK plug. The NGK plugs that are usually used as OEM are IFR6A11.

sorry stevie it says ngk 1r and 1fr6t11

I dropped something down a spark plug hole years ago (a Capri IIRC) and just used a vacuum cleaner to get it out, worked really well. Put a bit of cloth over the nozzle so you know when the item has been removed.

Or poke around with a long magnet tool?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links