Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving Along At 70 In 5th Gear Engine Light Start Flashing

Asi

ngk g1 was used. dont know when they were changed mate.

Is that all it says on the plug ? I can't find "G1" as a type of NGK plug. The NGK plugs that are usually used as OEM are IFR6A11.

sorry stevie it says ngk 1r and 1fr6t11

Hmm, well, 1FR6T11 is not the same as the OEM NGK 1FR6A11. According to this page, the "T" and the "A" refer to different constructions of the firing end.

So it sounds to me like the wrong plugs were in your car, at least in that particular cylinder (where they all the same) ? Maybe having the wrong firing end is connected with the problem on the electrode ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ngk g1 was used. dont know when they were changed mate.

Is that all it says on the plug ? I can't find "G1" as a type of NGK plug. The NGK plugs that are usually used as OEM are IFR6A11.

sorry stevie it says ngk 1r and 1fr6t11

Hmm, well, 1FR6T11 is not the same as the OEM NGK 1FR6A11. According to this page, the "T" and the "A" refer to different constructions of the firing end.

So it sounds to me like the wrong plugs were in your car, at least in that particular cylinder (where they all the same) ? Maybe having the wrong firing end is connected with the problem on the electrode ?

yes all of them were the same. could be connected. what i can do is put new coil packs in and see if that works.

The spark plugs you had seem to be used on the LS400. I wonder if whoever put them in made a simple error about what type should be used ? I presume this was done before you got the car though, so you wouldn't know who it was.

I suspect that the old tip was burnt away and that you haven't got any cylinder/piston/valve damage.

As you say though, with new plugs in now, and some new coil packs hopefully you will be in business.

The spark plugs you had seem to be used on the LS400. I wonder if whoever put them in made a simple error about what type should be used ? I presume this was done before you got the car though, so you wouldn't know who it was.

I suspect that the old tip was burnt away and that you haven't got any cylinder/piston/valve damage.

As you say though, with new plugs in now, and some new coil packs hopefully you will be in business.

yep done before i got the car probbally a error i think so hopefully it all works with new coil packs.

its a long shot but some garages have a video probe - maybe u can have a look inside the cylinder and see if its damaged - i really hope that the end burnt away over time and didnt break off.

if u know someone that works in the tech side at an airport they should be able to help u out with a probe also.

if i was coming over to the UK i could bring one and have a look but dont plan to be in the UK for a long time.

may also be worth having a compression test performed to be sure.....

right i wwill find out if any garges have a video probe. what does a compression test do?

A compression test is a way of testing that when the piston is compressing the air/fuel mixture ready to fire with the spark plug, that there are no excessive leaks past the piston rings, piston bores, valve seats or any combination of these items. If there is damage, this is likely to show it up.

right i see. once i get new coil packs will fit them and if its still not firing will get a comprssion test and then see it from there.

thanks guys for all the help

got another question for you guys. just say if it had damged the bore. how much will i be looking at to get it fixed? or all depends on what damage it done?

rather get it done by a guy who know what they doing. i think they cost around £50 maybe cheaper if looked around proper. hopefully everything is fine

rather get it done by a guy who know what they doing. i think they cost around £50 maybe cheaper if looked around proper. hopefully everything is fine

You don't need the coil packs to get the compression test done. The spark plug has to be removed to do the check, and the ignition "disabled" to stop the engine starting up (unless all plugs have been removed in which case it isn't going to start anyway). It is essentially just a pressure gauge screwed into the spark plug hole.

You don't need the coil packs to get the compression test done. The spark plug has to be removed to do the check, and the ignition "disabled" to stop the engine starting up (unless all plugs have been removed in which case it isn't going to start anyway). It is essentially just a pressure gauge screwed into the spark plug hole.

right i see. well i know this mobile mechanic that i use sometime see if he has one

thnks

update:i changed the plugs as you all know and reset the ecu now and checked what codes the ecu is throwing and its throwing p0302 only so im guessing theres internal damage i chacged the coil pack to a working one and its still thowing p0302. now since i changed spark plugs the exhaust is not smoking alot just a little bit compared to before so will need to get compressing check tommarow or next week

But if its a misfire on cylinder 2 then its got to be the spark plug/coil pack circuit not internal damage IMHO. (though there may be internal damage as well)

right i see stav. i will swap spar plugs and compression test at the same time.

have you checked all the hoses,wiring?as it seems funny how all this started after you got the s/c fitted.the reason i say check all the wires and hoses is the garage that fitted your s/c might have moved,trapped or damaged the hoses or wires.

polin filter is in mate sorry thought i text you yesterday but my phone has been playing funny buggers with me.

right just been in the garge and checked the the wires and it all looks goods. was wondering if i swap the wire from number 3 to 2 would that be fine to check if number 3 missfires. i took the spark plug out form 2 and its a little bit oily so cleaned it and put it in number 5 and then the number 5 to number 2. started it up. it started but the exhaust made farting noises so switched it off and took the spark plug out from 5 and there is alittle bit oil on it so letting it dry and now im getting a code p0320.

im about to cry :crybaby:

right just been in the garge and checked the the wires and it all looks goods. was wondering if i swap the wire from number 3 to 2 would that be fine to check if number 3 missfires. i took the spark plug out form 2 and its a little bit oily so cleaned it and put it in number 5 and then the number 5 to number 2. started it up. it started but the exhaust made farting noises so switched it off and took the spark plug out from 5 and there is alittle bit oil on it so letting it dry and now im getting a code p0320.

Dont mix the wiring up mate it'll make it fire in the wrong order?

Not too sure what the code means mate?

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction ??

Dont mix the wiring up mate it'll make it fire in the wrong order?

Not too sure what the code means mate?

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction ??

right wont mix the wire. just a quesion what will happen if they in wrong order?

i dont know. the car not starting now?

Not 100% sure mate, but if you swap the firing order as in put plug wire 3 onto plug 2 like you suggested above, you'll have 1 piston at the bottom of its stroke and the piston next to it at the top of its stroke, so when they both fire they will be trying to push against each other, which to me wont do the crank shaft any good, as i'd think the pressure from the fuel ignition would have to go somewhere if the piston has nowhere to go??

But dont quote me on that as i'm not really sure :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links