Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heating Problem

Hi everyone,

has anyone had a problem with the heating in an is200? i have the drivers side lovely and warm through the vents but all the passanger vents are cold air when i want it hot, same if i have the air con on driver side hot passsenger side cold. it doesnt have independant climate or anyting like that.. please guys if u've encountered this prob or can shed any light on it i'd really appreciate it

cheers jim

checked forum no answers on there!!! Guys there must be someone who has had this prob and got it sorted out, am i to be banished to one side hot one cold or do i have to re mortgage and take it to lexus?!

You need someone that knows how the a/c is built in this car =) anyone in this forum knows?

the A/c unit it self shouldn't be damage since you get Hot air on the driver side (unless it consist of to separate cooling/heating loops).

Try looking under the dash at the passenger side. Must be something wrong down there. Some loose parts or something maybe

Have you tried anything more on this ? What do the centre vents do, are they both hot or both cold ?

What is the basis of what's happening, is the passenger's side always cold no matter what you do ? Is that ambient air (i.e. unheated/uncooled from the outside) ?

What if you put the aircon on max cooling, does that work ok both sides and it's just heated air that doesn't come through properly ?

How about the floor ducts, do they work properly each side ?

How about the windscreen ducts, do they work properly ?

More info....

when the vents are on cold i get cold air out of both sides, when i want hot air and change the vents around the passenger side is always cold, if the ac is on its bloody cold!!! the front dash vent one of them is hot air the other is considerably colder.

if anyone needs any more info please ask, only to willing to help give info.. just really wanna try sort this prob out!!

cheers

jim

ok, so the a/c puts cold air to both sides ok ? But the heating only goes to one side.

What about the vents in the middle of the dash, what do they do ? Each of the two of them ?

What about the vents to the windscreen ? And the vents to the floor ?

the vents in the middle of the dash, the passenger one is always cold and the vent closer to the driver is always hot (this is obviously when i have the heating to hot) the windscreen vents yet again, passenger side is always cold and the drivers side is hot (once again when the heaters are set to hot)

I have no problems with settin the heaters to cold, all vents passenger and drivers side work fine, it is just when set to hot the passenger side out of any vent is always cold or colder than it should be, even with the ac on!!!

ok. I'm only trying to make an educated guess here, from looking at the online workshop manual. But I wonder if there's something wrong with the air mix servo motor, which is responsible for mixing the cold and hot air.

There's a troubleshooting guide here with details on how to test this motor to see if it's working properly. I wonder if it's only half opening or something like that, although I don't really know if that would lead to the problem you're describing. Might be worth checking though, especially if the alternative is an expensive trip to Lexus. Trouble is, the instructions involve removing the dash. I don't really know how much of it you'd need to take out just to get to this one bit.

What if you press the button that sets the air to recirculate, not come in from outside, does that make any difference ?

havent tried that one yet stevie, will try that 2moro night, thats for the link will have a look, not gonna be able to look properly til tuesday as i'm away racing this weekend

• 2 weeks later...
What if you press the button that sets the air to recirculate, not come in from outside, does that make any difference ?

havent tried that one yet stevie, will try that 2moro night, thats for the link will have a look, not gonna be able to look properly til tuesday as i'm away racing this weekend

tried the recirculating air button and it doesnt change much, still gets cold on assenger side when it should be hot

Hi,

You don't give the year of your IS but below is a link for a 2001 model ( if this is incorrect click home and enter the correct year)

There is a section on the air con ducting and the components which may assist you in finding the problem.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2001_LEXU...VKQ_8715.3.html

ok, well I'm still inclined to think that the air mix servo motor has a problem. But I'm only guessing here, based on how all the components seem to fit together. There's no immediately obvious reason to me as to why even if that is not working properly, that it should have only cold air on one side, but I can't come up with anything better.

I already supplied a link on how to troubleshoot that part, but as I said, the problem is that you have to take out a lot of the dash to have a look at it.

Just clutching at straws here, but what happens, with the a/c off, and the engine fully warmed up, when you vary the temperature control from the minimum to the maximum ? Do you get really hot air through at the maximum setting, and ambient (outside) air at the minimum setting ? Probably best to test this when it's not hot outside, so you can notice the difference.

Just clutching at straws here, but what happens, with the a/c off, and the engine fully warmed up, when you vary the temperature control from the minimum to the maximum ? Do you get really hot air through at the maximum setting, and ambient (outside) air at the minimum setting ? Probably best to test this when it's not hot outside, so you can notice the difference.

cheers for all your help stevie,

yeah when engine is warm it is more of an ambient temp on the passenger side, however this does change as soon as ac is turned on...

I really think you're going to have to start taking things apart to get any further on this. Then you would be able to see if the various servo motors are working properly (I'm still a bit suspicious about the air mix servo motor), and also you'll be able to feel better whether the hot/cold air is coming from.

I've just realised that something I said earlier was wrong, the air mix servo motor is something you can look at relatively easily because it only involves removing the glove box. That will also let you get closer to some of the internals of the vents, as I said above so you can get a better idea of at which point the air flow is going wrong.

Maybe there will be something simple like you'll see something blocking the ducting internally and causing the problem ?

I really think you're going to have to start taking things apart to get any further on this. Then you would be able to see if the various servo motors are working properly (I'm still a bit suspicious about the air mix servo motor), and also you'll be able to feel better whether the hot/cold air is coming from.

I've just realised that something I said earlier was wrong, the air mix servo motor is something you can look at relatively easily because it only involves removing the glove box. That will also let you get closer to some of the internals of the vents, as I said above so you can get a better idea of at which point the air flow is going wrong.

Maybe there will be something simple like you'll see something blocking the ducting internally and causing the problem ?

already had glovebox out and checked all motors seem to working, i can hear the mixer motor switchin over, seems to run smoothly and not get stuck on anything, will continue to look although i have just booked it in at lexus for them to source the problem, and advise what needs replacing!

might be able to get a group buy on some hsd coilovers through driftworks, is it worth posting it on here?

• 5 months later...

sorry to revive this thread but just noticed this morning that I've got the same problem with my heating....jim did u ever get to the bottom of this problem? my left hand side passenger side vent is only blowing cold air even when the heating is set to hot. all other vents seem to be working ok. can someone please help me as i dont wanna be stuck with faulty heating especially when the weather is starting to get really cold. i always end up with heating issues in winter lol...had the civics resistor pack go last year then its heater motor lol..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...