Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just seen the pricing for the new IS250C, and I was a bit surprised to say the least at where they seem to have priced it. On the SE-L you have to buy multimedia and ACC/PCS as a combined £3710 option, pushing the total price to £44k :o

First of all, that's more expensive than a fully loaded 325i SE (which is more economical and lower on CO2), and secondly, if they do bring out a 350 where does that leave the pricing on that! :shutit:

In this climate, Lexus are playing a very strange game in terms of increasing sales numbers, not sure what the demand is looking like at the mo, but they are most likely going to have to offer substantial discounts on this and I think the only way to buy one of these things is used as they are going to depreciate pretty quickly..........

Completely agree. What are they thinking? What cars does this compete with? Boxsters! Somehow. I'd rather have a Porsche than a Lexus.

Really it should be priced to A5 Conv and 3er conv and CLK level, all of which can be so much cheaper, have a huge variety of engine and box's. I know people keep saying "how much would it cost to make a german car have same spec blah blah", but. No one in their right mind would spec up a car so much and technically it will have to be amazing to make me even test drive one.

I know the Lexus fans will buy one, but it's not a car you would buy with your head at that price, even if it does have every extra.

I am surprised.

Really it should be priced to A5 Conv and 3er conv and CLK level, all of which can be so much cheaper, have a huge variety of engine and box's. I know people keep saying "how much would it cost to make a german car have same spec blah blah", but. No one in their right mind would spec up a car so much and technically it will have to be amazing to make me even test drive one.

The silly thing here is that if you give the A5 or the BMW a similar spec to the IS, it still costs less which in my view makes no sense unless the car is truly something special..........

im glad i dint pre order one, my dealer wanted me to pre order last year even though he had no idea on cost, he said it would be sold on sight so i could reject the car if i didnt like it or the price.

give it six months and you will pick one up for 25k

It's a dangerous route for Lexus IMHO. What attracted me to the brand was the customer service reputation, high equipment levels and good prices. Seems now that lexus is established they are heading down the premium prices / options pack route of BMW and Mercedes.

I love Lexus I really do but IS250C at 44k - a bad joke I am afraid.

Really struggling to change to new RX as it is 55K!!

Just a theory but is the range being moved upwards to make room for the supposed small Lexus?

If you were thinking about spending 44k you might as well get an ISF instead.

Based on that pricing too, if they do bring out an IS-FC it would probably cost around £60k :sick:

Read in the paper that Infinity (Nissan luxury brand) is bringing out a soft top with the 370Z engine (0-60 in 5.8). Don't know the price yet but it would be rival for a 350C, never mind a 250C.

Infinity may want to try and do a lot of things, but the single biggest problem for them will be their stupidly large petrol V6s and insane V8s - Infiniti as a brand is a US only brand and trying to transplant that to the UK is simply pure insanity. No doubt a premium badged Nissan will appeal to some but, for me, I would only give them a look after a couple of years as Used...if that.

Even in the US Infinity they remain a small player and don't hold the allure of a Lexus.

Anyone get the IS250C marketing thing today? The pull out thing was fun, but not sure it will convince anyone to pay well over £40k for one :)

Yeah I got one.

Anyone get the IS250C marketing thing today? The pull out thing was fun, but not sure it will convince anyone to pay well over £40k for one :)

I got a marketing thing yesterday "Dialogue" which didn't have a pull out thing so might be different from the one you got. It does seem bizarre in the current economic climate to be pricing cars at that level. The RX450h was on the same leaflet & the figures do look impressive although the £56k OTR price doesn't. :whistling:

The RX450h was on the same leaflet & the figures do look impressive although the £56k OTR price doesn't. :whistling:

It does start at just under £42k but I agree with what has been said earlier, Lexus are no longer cheaper than the other quality brands.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i agree it looks expensive on the face of it.

when i went to guildford they explained that its still at least 5% cheaper than the 3 series coupe when spec adjusted which is a fair shout because i wouldnt want a 325i without leather or 18s when compared to the IS C. Not sure whether to go auto or manual?

I'm amazed at the pricing of the 250C and the new RX450. Given how Lexus have struggled in the downturn in the car market, my opinion is that both are overpriced. There are so many good convertibles in the price range that Lexus are pitching the 250C and in reality, it's a body style that's heading for 5 years old. The reverse is true with the RX450 - look at things like the VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, they're older but cheaper. I could even get one of the new Cayenne diesels for less than an RX450.

Interesting too that Toyoto is going to review all of the product ranges - I wonder where Lexus is going long term...

• 2 weeks later...

I was totally shocked when saw the prices of new models. The IS range starts at about £20-25k I believe; how can the convertible model be nearly twice the price?! It's the same with the new RX entry price of £40k going to £54k is insane.

The RX imho is about 10% overpriced the 250c about 20% (Although even at £32-35k it's up against some VERY stiff competition and when you see how much boot space it has with the roof down it's going to REALLY struggle in sales imo)

With discounts that are floating around now you can get an X5 or ML with most of the kit provided by Lexus for about £40-45k and as for the 250C I ask you this...given you can get an M3 convertible for £48k or an IS-f for £50k would you REALLY part with most of that for an IS250C?!

Lexus are pricing themselves out of the market which even in the good times is dangerous but in times of recession with people looking for better deals it feels insane.....