Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk2 Transmission Fluid Help...

Hi guys,

found out my GS is leaking auto transmission fluid from the pictured pipe (rubber flexi),

P1020488Medium.jpg

fluid is probably due a change also, so have a few questions...

how much fluid will I need and how much will it cost me (does anyone have the part nos)

also any ideas on where I could find an ATF compatible pipe to replace the one pictured?

Cheers guys.

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk//

This is the place I bought mine from as it is the correct stuff for our cars Toyota T-IV, I bought the 5lts because you will need 2.5lts for your car and I think I found this was the cheapest way to buy it because they do the 1lts but that means you would have to buy 3 but I like to have some spare in case of leaks etc.

Just look at the site for more information and put in a parts request. can't help with the piping but any good car parts shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Norman

On my car there was a leak at the transmission cooler end. It was actually the metal pipe of the transmission cooler which had corroded. I just cut off the end of the metal pipe, made sure that all the swarf was removed, and re-attached the rubber hose.

You can order oil hose from Merlin Motorsport if all else fails.

• Like 1

only use Toyota T-IV fluid.

Are you going to replace all the fluid or just what is in the pan? Will make a big difference on how much you will need.

I was going to try a flush from the trans cooler pipe as described here by disconnecting the transmission cooler pipe, running engine to drain, and refilling until fluid runs red

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/transmission/transflush.html

Where did you get that information from? I have just had mine done and I bought 5lts and I have half left.

I have my hand book in front of me as well Quote: Fluid capacity drain and refill is 2.4lts (2.5 qt 2.1 Imp.qt) Fluid type is Automatic transmission fluid Type T-IV.

The engine oil is only 5.5lts with filter without filter 5.2lts

So bit of wrong information there for the guy that could have cost him a lot of money through buying far too much fluid which is not cheap :crybaby:

Where did you get that information from? I have just had mine done and I bought 5lts and I have half left. I have my hand book in front of me as well; quote: Fluid capacity drain and refill is 2.4lts (2.5 qt., 2.1 Imp. qt.). Fluid type is automatic transmission fluid Type T-IV.

That's because the drain and refill only replaces the contents of the sump. Most of the fluid is distributed around the gearbox.

I take "a dry fill is 8.2 litres" to mean that it would take 8.2 litres if the gearbox was completely empty. It would take even more than that to flush the old fluid completely.

Toyota must have it wrong then because before I had mine done I checked to see how much I would need because I did not want a partial replacement.

On the link I left for Toyota swindon that is where I bought my fluid and they said 2.4lts for a complete change so somebody is not giving the correct information.

ok guys an update on this, ive ordered 5lts of fluid for now, car is off the road at the moment so I can find it if more is required at leisure.....

however took the offending rubber pipe off and it seems fine, although I have found that the portion of the metal piping covered by the rubber has corroded and this seems to be the source of the leak (similar to the problem encountered by garethr) would it be safe for me to cut off the corroded metal portion and then obtain a longer rubber hose and attach to the remaining metal pipe....

problem is pictured below

P1020493.jpg

From the offical Lexus/Toyota workshop manual:

Automatic transmission fluid (2JZ–GE)

Dry fill 8 .2 liters (8.7 US qts, 7.2 Imp. qts)

Drain and refill 2.0 liters (2.1 US qts, 1.8 Imp. qts)

Automatic transmission fluid (3UZ–FE)

Dry fill 8.9 liters (9.4 US qts, 7.8 Imp. qts)

Drain and refill 1.8 liters (1.9 US qts, 1.6 Imp. qts)

The drain and refill refer to just draining the pan. Most of the fluid is held within the torque convertor and transmission cooler which is why there is such a big difference.

Now on the series II GS where the fluid has no replacement schedule it is fine to just do a drain and refill every 60k miles or so. If however somebody hasn't used Toyota T-IV fluid and the transmission starts to play up you want to get rid of it all and you will need over 8 litres.

I personally wouldn't believe what a UK dealer will tell you. They never work on auto transmissions and would never have to do a full fluid change. Go and check out the US forums where fluid changes are as common as engine oil changes and you will see many people stating the requirement for 9 qts.

Hi Colin

Many thanks for that update it does annoy me when you get incorrect information from the main dealer and the garage that replaced my fluid did not say anything either.

That is why this forum is well worth being a member of. ;)

• 10 years later...

Hello guys, my name is Joe. I am an auto mechanic from Nigeria.  I under stand what ColinB is saying. In that case, you are actually opening the gearbox tank, changing or washing the oil filter, and draining all other old fluid left in there. That way, you will be needing 8.2liters. If not so, just to remove from the drainage nuzzle, you should need but 2.5 liters. 

Thanks. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links