Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 Transmission Oil Leak - Be Warned!

My wife has a RX300 SE 2004, when we first bought this in August we discovered a transmission oil leak.

We took it to Lexus for repair, they told us that they had seen this problem before and that engine needed to come out and it would take 13 hours.

The problem is that a transmission seal needs to be replaced, the indicator of this seal failing is a leak of oil from a small hole in the transmission and this drips onto the exhaust.

The problem then reoccurred and Lexus then tried the repair again, this time they said it would take 5 hours as they no longer need to take the engine out :whistling:

The problems came again, and they said that Lexus have sent a tool to locate the seal, so it went back again..

The problems then came again - sheesh this is getting boring eh? They replaced the seal again!!

Last week was the 7th time the car has been fixed by Lexus, they have also told me that this is a fairly common fault.. now I think I’ve seen the leak back again!

I’m wondering what to do – My wife wants to keep the car and I want it fixed but i don’t want this pain in the rear??

I have escalated this to Lexus, but they are not interested as i didn’t buy it from them and in their words I am not a loyal customer

So beware!!! Don’t accept a 13 hour bill, don't pay for parts as this is a known fault.

• 1 year later...

HI, ILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU EVENTUALLY GOT THIS ISSUE RESOLVED.

IVE JUST BEEN INFORMED THAT I HAVE TRANSMISSION OIL LEAK CAUSED BY THE DRIVE SHAFT OIL SEAL FAILURE

£300 TO REPLACE IT AND SEAL COST £12

I would assume the OP had a leaking main gearbox oil seal.....on the main shaft behind the torque converter and as such would be rather more expensive to replace than just a drive shaft seal.

But I agree it would be very interesting to find out the resolution.

hi had a oil leak as well but it was just the hydrolic motor,and pipes got sorted in two attemps by Lexus did not trust all they said some kind of cover up on second vist said they had found another fitting leak on pipes, cost with free oil ( i picked it up repaired one night back in garage next day)all apolgies and kept bill down on second attempt total £850

LEXUS Stokeon Trent stuart (ps been fine since) fingers crossed

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links