Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cailipers - Painting

Hi peeps,

Nuisance here again.... lol. Well, I have actually got round to buying some red hammerite paint to tart up my calipers. Thing is, I am no paint technician and haven't a scooby about the best way to paint them up.. prep' etc etc. Can you guys give me some advice, walkthrough???

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Col... :winky: :blink: :duh: :D :)

Good morning Col :D

Pretty easy to do mate, the 1st thing i always do is to give the calipers a good rub over with a wire brush to remove most of the brake dust/debris that collects on the calipers, then i usually spray them with a brake cleaner/white spirit to give a clean surface to paint on, And you can mask the surrounding areas around the caliper if you want to, but there isn't much there that needs covering up and if you do get any paint on the disc it will soon come off when braking,

Using a small brush (1 inch/1/2 inch) apply the paint to the caliper in a good even coating, try and avoid the nuts, bolts and clips if you can mate, (just good practice not to paint them) and let dry,

I usually paint 1 and then refit the wheel then move onto the next one, and by the time you have done all 4 the first one will be pretty well dry, with the hammerite i've only ever done the 1 coat and they seem to come up quite well, but its up to you if you want to do another coat?

Some guys take the calipers off to paint, but i find it easier to do them while still on the car and it lets you refit the wheel so you don't need to handle them while wet :)

As above, although I did two coats on mine which meant a lot more work as I had to take the wheels off and put them back on twice!

How do you clean them? My rear ones look fine, but on my fronts the calipers clean fine but the decals which were silver originally don't clean up properly. I put two coats of lacquer on when I did them but maybe that wasn't enough - might need to do them again at some point.

I've never lacquered mine as it normally discolors when it gets hot unless you use high temp lacquer? i had the silver decals on mine too and they went very dark after a while, so painted over them in the end ready for some new ones, but never got chance to redo them :rolleyes:

Just painted the ones on my skyline and i clean them with a spray on brake cleaner, quite cheap to buy but gets rid of the brake dust and works very well :)

I've never lacquered mine as it normally discolors when it gets hot unless you use high temp lacquer? i had the silver decals on mine too and they went very dark after a while, so painted over them in the end ready for some new ones, but never got chance to redo them :rolleyes:

Just painted the ones on my skyline and i clean them with a spray on brake cleaner, quite cheap to buy but gets rid of the brake dust and works very well :)

I don't think it's discoloured, but will have to take the wheel off and take a closer look at some point. I'll have to try using a brake cleaner and see if that gets them looking like new. I really should have put more coats of lacquer on but I got lazy :blush:

Good morning Col :D

Pretty easy to do mate, the 1st thing i always do is to give the calipers a good rub over with a wire brush to remove most of the brake dust/debris that collects on the calipers, then i usually spray them with a brake cleaner/white spirit to give a clean surface to paint on, And you can mask the surrounding areas around the caliper if you want to, but there isn't much there that needs covering up and if you do get any paint on the disc it will soon come off when braking,

Using a small brush (1 inch/1/2 inch) apply the paint to the caliper in a good even coating, try and avoid the nuts, bolts and clips if you can mate, (just good practice not to paint them) and let dry,

I usually paint 1 and then refit the wheel then move onto the next one, and by the time you have done all 4 the first one will be pretty well dry, with the hammerite i've only ever done the 1 coat and they seem to come up quite well, but its up to you if you want to do another coat?

Some guys take the calipers off to paint, but i find it easier to do them while still on the car and it lets you refit the wheel so you don't need to handle them while wet :)

Ta for the info Aztec. If the weather stays good, I'll tackle the job this week. Don't know how I'll get on with my bloody dicky hip though. Still I'll have a bash at it. (Probably take a week to do it... LOL).

Col :winky: :blush::blush::blink: :)

Hi peeps,

Nuisance here again.... lol. Well, I have actually got round to buying some red hammerite paint to tart up my calipers. Thing is, I am no paint technician and haven't a scooby about the best way to paint them up.. prep' etc etc. Can you guys give me some advice, walkthrough???

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Col... :winky: :blink: :duh: :D :)

hi mate

i did mine few days a go

and used these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexus-Brake-Caliper-...%3A1%7C294%3A25

Or theres this walk through Col, with pic's gives you the main idea? CLICK ME!

Well, me and my dicky hip managed to do the caliipers using the tips you guys gave me. It took me 5 and 1/2 hours to do it, and just finished before the rain came pouring down... pheeeewww. It took so long cause of my flippin hip... grrrrrrrrrrr. Have ordered the decals from e-bay. Cost £10.99 from e-bay, but are the straight, not curvy ones. Here is a couple of photies. I put the wheels back on before remebering to take them.. (wot a walleeeeee). Anyway here they are guys.. wot ya think??

Col.. :) B)

SNC10837.jpg

SNC10842.jpg

SNC10843.jpg

Or theres this walk through Col, with pic's gives you the main idea? CLICK ME!

Well, me and my dicky hip managed to do the caliipers using the tips you guys gave me. It took me 5 and 1/2 hours to do it, and just finished before the rain came pouring down... pheeeewww. It took so long cause of my flippin hip... grrrrrrrrrrr. Have ordered the decals from e-bay. Cost £10.99 from e-bay, but are the straight, not curvy ones. Here is a couple of photies. I put the wheels back on before remebering to take them.. (wot a walleeeeee). Anyway here they are guys.. wot ya think??

Col.. :) B)

SNC10837.jpg

SNC10842.jpg

SNC10843.jpg

Bum... forgot this one...

SNC10841.jpg

Nice Col.

When you take the wheels off to put on the stickers, maybe you could give the disc hubs a wire brush and a slap of paint too :whistling:

i did mines in black, i think red hubs may be too much tho!!!

I'm not trying to give you more work and end you up cripple Col, Honest!!!

Nice Col.

When you take the wheels off to put on the stickers, maybe you could give the disc hubs a wire brush and a slap of paint too :whistling:

i did mines in black, i think red hubs may be too much tho!!!

I'm not trying to give you more work and end you up cripple Col, Honest!!!

eeeeeeek... think I'll stop at that Deckie. After I've finally had the hip op, (not hip hop... lol), I'll prob's give it a bash on the hibs. They ain't too bad just now mate. Ta for the nice comment.

Col.. :winky: :winky: :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links