Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Does Tensioner Need To Be Changed When Cambelt Is Changed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but does it needcumpulsory changing ????

nope it doesnt mate so you can change the belt with out changing the tensioner.........but and heres the but if you replace the belt and two days,a few months,a year down the line the tensioner goes pop, bang goes your belt as the bust tensioner will throw the belt oh and gues what..........that could mean a engine rebuild with 24 new valves and a very empty pocket.

so cheap out if you must but cheaping out may be costly!!!!!

nope it doesnt mate so you can change the belt with out changing the tensioner.........but and heres the but if you replace the belt and two days,a few months,a year down the line the tensioner goes pop, bang goes your belt as the bust tensioner will throw the belt oh and gues what..........that could mean a engine rebuild with 24 new valves and a very empty pocket.

good info but how common is the tensioner popping on these cars ??

Does the same apply to the IS300, I have heard that the tensioners are stronger on this model. Lexus Woodford are changing my cambelt very soon but have not said anything to me about replacing the tensioner

Does the same apply to the IS300, I have heard that the tensioners are stronger on this model. Lexus Woodford are changing my cambelt very soon but have not said anything to me about replacing the tensioner

put it another way

if the cambelt needs changing then so does the tensioner

the belts are very strong and are designed to last up to 100,000 miles as are the tensioners

if for some reason the belt needs replacing then its only correct that the tensioner does to

without a doubt Lexus Woodford will change the tensioner

put it another way

if the cambelt needs changing then so does the tensioner

the belts are very strong and are designed to last up to 100,000 miles as are the tensioners

if for some reason the belt needs replacing then its only correct that the tensioner does to

without a doubt Lexus Woodford will change the tensioner

mine has only done 56,000 so not sure why Lexus Woodford are saying it needs to be replaced?

yip!!that as well here we go!!!!!!!!

if you are doing your timing belt buy the timing belt kit which comes with all you need ie tensioner and idler!!!!!!!!!!!!

When doing a cambelt change, replace the following items:

1. Cambelt

2. Idler

3. Tensioner

Optional: Waterpump and by pass pipe (with 'o' rings). As said this is optional, most people change the waterpump (even if its in good condition) to save future labour costs- the part is not expensive. Also most people change the waterpump for piece of mind.

When doing a cambelt change, replace the following items:

1. Cambelt

2. Idler

3. Tensioner

Optional: Waterpump and by pass pipe (with 'o' rings). As said this is optional, most people change the waterpump (even if its in good condition) to save future labour costs- the part is not expensive. Also most people change the waterpump for piece of mind.

not everyone changes the idler , is it compulsory lexus say its up to you the most important is the belt and tensioner

was their any point in you starting this?????????????????? 100% of people are telling you what they recomend the timing belt kit(belt tensioner and idler) i and many other people on here like giving advice and helpin were i/we can but i'm not going to argue.so why dont you wanna change whats been recomended its like your trying to get out of it??.

went to a lexus dealer and asked for a timing belt kit and when i asked if it included the idler the guy said it did,nt as when they change the belt and tensioner they dont as a rule change the idler

It is not mandatory to change your belt either, so why are you changing it?

Sit for a minute and caclulate how many times your tensioner and idler have rotated in their lifetime and ask yourself how much longer they might last... if you think that they will last till the next belt chang then there is your answer..

Personally speaking, when I change my belt, I will change the idler and tensioner and based on the reccomendations of other members here will also replace the pump and hose.... I bought my IS primarily for it's superior reliabillity and will endeavour to maintain this reliabillity.... What you do is your business

I asked Lexus Birmingham (as mine's in for the 60K in a couple of weeks) and they said that they just change the cam - tensioner only gets changed if it looks 'frayed' - would be an extra £50 on top to change the tensioner. But.....if the tensioner is included in the kit, am I being mugged off here?

I asked Lexus Birmingham (as mine's in for the 60K in a couple of weeks) and they said that they just change the cam - tensioner only gets changed if it looks 'frayed' - would be an extra £50 on top to change the tensioner. But.....if the tensioner is included in the kit, am I being mugged off here?

no mate change the tensioner as well

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links