Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Does Tensioner Need To Be Changed When Cambelt Is Changed

is the £50 in labour or for parts??as for the tensioner looking frayed????ask them what they mean??in all my years working on cars i've never ever seen a frayed tensioner they are either made from hard plastic or metal so they cant fray!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the £50 in labour or for parts??as for the tensioner looking frayed????ask them what they mean??in all my years working on cars i've never ever seen a frayed tensioner they are either made from hard plastic or metal so they cant fray!

£50 is labour + parts. I think it's just a case of me speaking with the service receptionist who plucked a figure out of thin air and then tried to back it up, I'll chase up with services properly tomorrow.

Any idea how much the timing kit actually costs? I'd like to have some ammo at my disposal (done this before with brake pads - ended up getting a full mintex kit off eBay and then giving them to the garage to fit and sparing myself being mugged off by the local garage)

if you go on eBay their is a lexus dealership selling the kit(belt,tensioner and idler)for £120(you could prob get this cheaper by phoning around) but theirs also kits from other makers for as little as £80.

if you go on ebay their is a lexus dealership selling the kit(belt,tensioner and idler)for £120(you could prob get this cheaper by phoning around) but theirs also kits from other makers for as little as £80.

idler is not needed its all about the belt and tensioner , alternator belt and power steering belt these are the main things needing changing

if you go on ebay their is a lexus dealership selling the kit(belt,tensioner and idler)for £120(you could prob get this cheaper by phoning around) but theirs also kits from other makers for as little as £80.

idler is not needed its all about the belt and tensioner , alternator belt and power steering belt these are the main things needing changing

it would be very foolish not to change all three :whistling:

ie:

belt

tensioner

and idler

other belts are fairly cheap, so would be worth doing them at the same time , but isnt really essential unless visibly damaged or worn

what do you think a idle'r does????????????????? if you dont know dont give advice!!!!!!

the idler will have just as much wear on it as the tensioner has and can also fall to bits just as easy.!!!also its supply'd in the kit so why not fit it!!!!!!

as my dad always said....if your going to do a job do it correctly and not replacing bits as important as the tensioner and idler while doing the belt is just stupid and asking for trouble!!!

i'm not saying it wont run superb no one is but a idler will have just as much wear as the tensioner so look at it this way by next belt change that idler will have done well over 100,000 miles i wouldnt trust a idler to do that amount of milage!! all cars run superb untill something breaks.

only for the freek???? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

i'm not saying it wont run superb no one is but a idler will have just as much wear as the tensioner so look at it this way by next belt change that idler will have done well over 100,000 miles i wouldnt trust a idler to do that amount of milage!! all cars run superb untill something breaks.

I HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR 6 YEARS AND I,M LOOKING TO SELL IT NEXT YEAR , I,M CHANGING THE BELT ON 87K, WILL THE IDLER CAUSE THE BELT TO SNAP ??????? EVEN WITH NEW BELT AND TENSIONER ?????

I HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR 6 YEARS AND I,M LOOKING TO SELL IT NEXT YEAR , I,M CHANGING THE BELT ON 87K, WILL THE IDLER CAUSE THE BELT TO SNAP ??????? EVEN WITH NEW BELT AND TENSIONER ?????

YES YES YES if a idler breaks it throws the belt which inturn causes the pistons to hit the valves which leaves you with a very empty wallet.this is why a lot of us have recomended changing all 3 items and a lot of us have changed all 3 items.not just saying it to cost you money we say it to save you money.

IDLER IS NOT ESSENTIAL ONLY FOR THE FREEK , MY MATES HAVE JUST CHANGED THEIR TENSIONER AND BELT AND THEY ARE RUNNING SUPERB

But will they still be running superbly when the belt nears the end of it's life? or will it fail, causing the belt to fail and screwing up the engine all for the sake of a few minutes and a few quid?

Breathing in and out is not essential for a little while....

IDLER IS NOT ESSENTIAL ONLY FOR THE FREEK , MY MATES HAVE JUST CHANGED THEIR TENSIONER AND BELT AND THEY ARE RUNNING SUPERB

But will they still be running superbly when the belt nears the end of it's life? or will it fail, causing the belt to fail and screwing up the engine all for the sake of a few minutes and a few quid?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Spoke with them again. Looks like they're chargin £26 + VAT for the parts on the cam belt and 2.5 hours labour. This is just for the belt though. When I pointed out what the kit includes I was faced with "that's just the way we do things". They're doing be a quote now for Idler + tensioner fitted on top.

So far (without tensioner + idler) they're quoting 400 notes for cam + minor service (had it's major in September).

EDIT: Oh when I said I could supply them with the kit - surprise surprise - they're not allowed to fit it as they can't guarentee it

Spoke with them again. Looks like they're chargin £26 + VAT for the parts on the cam belt and 2.5 hours labour. This is just for the belt though. When I pointed out what the kit includes I was faced with "that's just the way we do things". They're doing be a quote now for Idler + tensioner fitted on top.

So far (without tensioner + idler) they're quoting 400 notes for cam + minor service (had it's major in September).

EDIT: Oh when I said I could supply them with the kit - surprise surprise - they're not allowed to fit it as they can't guarentee it

yes they are and yes they can garantee it!!as long as its on the oe packing we get customers doing this a lot!(i work for a main dealer)

go express your anger to the manager you never know if you shout loud enough about the way you've been treated(like a mug) you might find he might half the cost to shut you up.its amazin what you can get if you shout loud enough!!

yes they are and yes they can garantee it!!as long as its on the oe packing we get customers doing this a lot!(i work for a main dealer)

go express your anger to the manager you never know if you shout loud enough about the way you've been treated(like a mug) you might find he might half the cost to shut you up.its amazin what you can get if you shout loud enough!!

Cheers ormi, they never bothered getting back to me regarding fitting the entire kit properly so it'll be a pleasant rant with the manager tomorrow. My local garage have quoted a bit more, but will fit the entire kit properly (and were quite bemused when I asked for that - told them the story and it came as no shock to them)

To be honest I'm a bit shocked that a Lexus dealership would try and scrimp the cost of the tensioner and idler off the bill? Absolutely bizaare. The thinking behind it (presumably) is that they see the timing kit as a bit of a money spinner - three parts, urgo three potential pieces of (quite lengthly) labour hours. If you fit the entire kit at once it would take considerably less labour hours to fit at once than it would on three seperate occasions to three seperate punters. This line of thinking is however what I expect from delboy, not a main dealership.

argument is oer ..ORMI CALLED IT SO I WILL CHANGE IT , IT BEING THE IDLER AS WELL.... ORMI YOUR A STAR

is200 does tensioner need to be changed when cambelt is changed ?????

well guys thanks for all your advice , it was very helpful, car is finally going in tomorrow , belt, tensioner , idler being changed for a £100 labour cost...

• 2 weeks later...
is200 does tensioner need to be changed when cambelt is changed ?????

Yes mate. It needs changing. I changed my cambelt few days ago and I think the engine runs much smoother.

To justify my answer: basically a new belt will put a swlightly(if not significant) more pressure(tension) on the tensioner and the other components moved by the timing belt. More stress(pressure) on some worn parts could lead to their failure which could cause some really expensive damage to your pocket and your engine(or the other way around :)). Is something similar with changing the oil...is not compulsory to change the oil filter but you don't want fresh oil to run through a dirty oil filter. So basically this is the reason why you need to change the tensioner and the idler...just for your peace of mind. You will not get in there for the next 100.000 km so I don't think the old tensioner and idler will last that long.

I am a bit crazy if i say that I chnaged the oil seals for cams and the waterpump. Nothing wrong with them but i just wanted to make sure everything is new in there.

On the other hand though, when you sell the car, mentioning that you replaced such and such with new parts, could put some extra money back into your pocket, if you know what I mean. That shows to the new owner that you looked after it and you didn't cut any corners.

Good luck.

PS. I am still amazed by how smooth an engine could run after the belt has been changed. The guy might've fixed the timing on my car but now I am happy again. :))

Well, it seems that this entire topic has been turned into a farce!

let me tell you,

When you change the timing belt, it puts extra load on the old tensioners.

For the sake of couple of quid extra, and 10 more mins, why not change them anyway, after all ...

a new engine costs more then some ££'s and a belt.

I drive a hackney carriage taxi, and change all my belts every 15 months or 60k , or which ever comes first. Not becuase i have to, its becuase I

want to!

Use some of your brains, its more economical for do every thing atonce rather then leave it for it to snap

Well, it seems that this entire topic has been turned into a farce!

let me tell you,

When you change the timing belt, it puts extra load on the old tensioners.

For the sake of couple of quid extra, and 10 more mins, why not change them anyway, after all ...

a new engine costs more then some ££'s and a belt.

I drive a hackney carriage taxi, and change all my belts every 15 months or 60k , or which ever comes first. Not becuase i have to, its becuase I

want to!

Use some of your brains, its more economical for do every thing atonce rather then leave it for it to snap

thanks guys had this job done a fortnight afo everyting was changed , tensioner belt etc , just montster mat being cocky cause he doesnt have girlfriend or woman

just montster mat being cocky cause he doesnt have girlfriend or woman

No need to get personal mate. I'd read the club T&C's if I was you regarding what you can and cannot post.

monster mat is getting personal

Lets all grow up and leave it.

were only here to help.

Matt is one of the most experianced members here.

as for Matt's comment or yours waterunder the bridge - i think.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links