Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Cloth Should I Use To Apply Polish?

Can I pick your brains with this question?

What is the best type of cloth to apply polish to my Lexus? I have previously used 'Mutton' cloth from Halfords to apply and another couple of clean pieces to clean off.

The trouble is using Autoglym SRP and Mutton cloth doesn't half create a lot of dust which gets into all the openings on the bodywork and is a 'mare to clean off! Especially with the Dark Blue paint of my car (especially where stone chips have marked the surface, I end up with lots of white spots!)

So what's the solution and where can I but alternative cloths?

Cheers everyone.

:)

What is the best type of cloth to apply polish to my Lexus? I have previously used 'Mutton' cloth from halfords to apply and another couple of clean pieces to clean off.

The trouble is using Autoglym SRP and Mutton cloth doesn't half create a lot of dust which gets into all the openings on the bodywork and is a 'mare to clean off! Especially with the Dark Blue paint of my car (especially where stone chips have marked the surface, I end up with lots of white spots!)

Cheers everyone.

i think that whatever you use to apply the srp with you will still have lots of the white chaulky residue.are you trying to remove scratches if so a dedicated polish followed by several layers of paint sealant would be my choice.

btw i also have dark blue.

What is the best type of cloth to apply polish to my Lexus? I have previously used 'Mutton' cloth from halfords to apply and another couple of clean pieces to clean off.

Cheers everyone.

I do not use anything other than microfibre cloth, including wash mitts, drying, application and buffing towels. I used to use Autopia in the USA, but with the exchange rate as it is these people in the UK are just as good and market most of the same stuff as Autopia UK site is http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/cat_5.html

I used to put the microfibre cloths in the washing machine when I need to clean them, but I find I get better results hand washing in a bucket with Sonus Der Wunder Wasche which is also good for bringing foam polishing pads back like new. Have a look at the detailing guides for alternative polishes and waxes to the Autoglym.

Cheers everyone.

I do not use anything other than microfibre cloth, including wash mitts, drying, application and buffing towels. I used to use Autopia in the USA, but with the exchange rate as it is these people in the UK are just as good and market most of the same stuff as Autopia UK site is http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/cat_5.html

I used to put the microfibre cloths in the washing machine when I need to clean them, but I find I get better results hand washing in a bucket with Sonus Der Wunder Wasche which is also good for bringing foam polishing pads back like new. Have a look at the detailing guides for alternative polishes and waxes to the Autoglym.

tango.try the washing machine again and use white vinegar in the rinse compartment,you will be happy.

very cheap white vinegar at asda.

For SRP, you want to use a pad to apply it, not a cloth of any type - take a look at their new palm pad, I think it's called.

Alternatively, the likes of the Sonus German Applicator, with a firm side for polishing, and the softer side for wax/sealant application.

If you're not using the SRP for polishing some of the lighter marks out of the paintwork, but merely using it to mask them, then a better all-in-one job would be the Bilt Hamber Auto-balm.

Cloth wise for removal of polish residue/buffing - Dodo Juice Fantastic Fur (the blue one) - a couple of those microfibers should keep you right.

Just remember to wash separately from household towels, and in a clean machine - no fluff, hair, etc - with liquid detergent on 40-60ºC and an extra rinse.

Dry on high heat for 5 mins plus the cool down (typically 10 mins), then place in the hotpress/airing cupboard overnight.

Just remember to wash separately from household towels, and in a clean machine - no fluff, hair, etc - with liquid detergent on 40-60ºC and an extra rinse.

Dry on high heat for 5 mins plus the cool down (typically 10 mins), then place in the hotpress/airing cupboard overnight.

Also never add fabric conditioners to the machine when washing microfibre cloths.

Thanks for all the really helpful advice....I will be purchasing the appropriate items either my mail order or from my local supplier this weekend and will look forward to better results in due course!

Cheers for the advice.

Localyokel

Thanks for all the really helpful advice....I will be purchasing the appropriate items either my mail order or from my local supplier this weekend and will look forward to better results in due course!

Cheers for the advice.

Localyokel

You may want to try the Meguiers NXT, Highly recommend it...

will work a treat on your dark blue.

also comes with its own applicator pad.

Just a suggestion :winky:

tango.try the washing machine again and use white vinegar in the rinse compartment,you will be happy.

very cheap white vinegar at asda.

Thanks, may give that a go as I always have white vinegar in the garage anyway as I used it to acid wash the IS200 to remove road film before claying and polishing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links