Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I have a MK2 GS300 with 175k and a 2000 model and have had a reoccuring ignition problem.

When I insert my ignition key and try to start the engine, there is a click and the car doesn't start. It as if there is no charge. However, I am certain the Battery is good (one year old) and the alternator is ok. On the 2nd or 3rd go the engine starts.

Has anyone had this problem??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a MK2 GS300 with 175k and a 2000 model and have had a reoccuring ignition problem.

When I insert my ignition key and try to start the engine, there is a click and the car doesn't start. It as if there is no charge. However, I am certain the battery is good (one year old) and the alternator is ok. On the 2nd or 3rd go the engine starts.

Has anyone had this problem??

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Possibly a loose connection/worn bush in the starter motor, or the solenoid that engages it from the ignition switch.

Sounds like you are experiencing a common issue with the starter/solenoid. Here is a tutorial I did on how to overhaul the solenoid contact set.

Starter/Solenoid Overhaul

Excellent write-up! I guarantee most garages now would just suck their teeth and say 'needs a new starter mate' and proceed to charge you 2 hours labour on top of the cost of a complete unit!

Sounds like you are experiencing a common issue with the starter/solenoid. Here is a tutorial I did on how to overhaul the solenoid contact set.

Excellent write-up! I guarantee most garages now would just suck their teeth and say 'needs a new starter mate' and proceed to charge you 2 hours labour on top of the cost of a complete unit!

Probably quite true. Although to be fair, the starter (on the mk1 anyway) is a c*nt to get to. Even once you've managed to get to the two bolts and undo them, you still have to get the thing out round all the pipes and wiring, Lots of cursing ensues :tsktsk:

Probably quite true. Although to be fair, the starter (on the mk1 anyway) is a c*nt to get to. Even once you've managed to get to the two bolts and undo them, you still have to get the thing out round all the pipes and wiring, Lots of cursing ensues :tsktsk:

Yup!! Sounds just like my Supra and all the Celicas before that too. Right angled joints and seven fingers seem to be a mandatory requirement for any toyota engine bay. Plus they like putting in the sneaky little sharp edge just right to catch your fingers too!! :D

Yup!! Sounds just like my Supra and all the Celicas before that too. Right angled joints and seven fingers seem to be a mandatory requirement for any toyota engine bay. Plus they like putting in the sneaky little sharp edge just right to catch your fingers too!! :D

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas as to where I could buy one cheap (not lexus of course).

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas as to where I could buy one cheap (not lexus of course).

Thanks

Buy a starter? Buy the overhaul kit on eBay and repair yours. If you buy one from a scrappy, like I did last year, you will probably be looking at the same job again, like I did. Cheaper to fix the one you have and know that it is properly sorted.