Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Major Problems Gs 430 V8

nivek4209

hi all

kevin here new to this forgive me for jumping in at the deep end but i am tearing out what little hair i have left because of a gs 430

a little history for you

been on lpg since almost new

ran well since 2002 till last year

would start every time fine when cold but would stall as soon as you put in gear (auto box) then would be extremely slow to restart sometimes not atall till Battery flat

had been using a little water for a long time maybe only a pint a month or so would usually freeze the gas conversion when water was low

had checked on pc before work started diagnosed a misfire

so back to garage done cold compression test and results were poor 60 to 90 psi on all cyl one was down at 35 that was my missfire i guess so now to the water leak wasnt external so looked like head gasked had some small bubbles in rad pulled off both heads all valves on exhaust side were toasted on both heads got all ex valves replaced, heads pressure tested, skimmed new head set of gaskets pistons and cyl all looked fine as you would expect for a 90000 mile motor happy days the heads were ready for back on replaced t-belt aswell lots spent by now as you might have guessed

Now for the bad bit

turned the key and guess what still had missfire and next to know throttle response max 2000rpm

checked compression again all ok 140 to 150 psi checked spark all ok throttle flap not moving in response to pedal movement

back to computer cleared all faults except one throttle posistion sensor wouldnt clear ut i dont think that will cause a miss?????????????

just to put the tin hat on it im not right convinced the head gasket problem is sorted either still runs hotish rad hoses are faily hard but no bubbles in rad

has any one got a reason why i still have a miss and why my throttle sensor might have died

help plese this car is driving me stray

hi all

kevin here new to this forgive me for jumping in at the deep end but i am tearing out what little hair i have left because of a gs 430

a little history for you

would start every time fine when cold but would stall as soon as you put in gear (auto box) then would be extremely slow to restart sometimes not atall till battery flat

had been using a little water for a long time maybe only a pint a month or so would usually freeze the gas conversion when water was low

so back to garage done cold compression test and results were poor 60 to 90 psi on all cyl one was down at 35 that was my missfire i guess so now to the water leak wasnt external so looked like head gasked had some small bubbles in rad pulled off both heads all valves on exhaust side were toasted on both heads got all ex valves replaced, heads pressure tested, skimmed new head set of gaskets pistons and cyl all looked fine as you would expect for a 90000 mile motor happy days the heads were ready for back on replaced t-belt aswell lots spent by now as you might have guessed

Now for the bad bit

turned the key and guess what still had missfire and next to know throttle response max 2000rpm

checked compression again all ok 140 to 150 psi checked spark all ok throttle flap not moving in response to pedal movement

back to computer cleared all faults except one throttle posistion sensor wouldnt clear ut i dont think that will cause a miss?????????????

just to put the tin hat on it im not right convinced the head gasket problem is sorted either still runs hotish rad hoses are faily hard but no bubbles in rad

has any one got a reason why i still have a miss and why my throttle sensor might have died

sounds like either a wiring fault between the pedal and the ecu or between the ecu and the throttle body

or a sensor somewhere hasn't been plugged in?

did you replace the spark plugs?

the cooling system might not be blead right ie their could still be some air trapped in the heater matrix/or a faulty thermostat could cause problems

as for the miss fire a dodgy ht lead(wrap tape round to check)or coil fault

toasted valves go hand in hand running lpg as it burns hotter.

hi all

a little history for you

would start every time fine when cold but would stall as soon as you put in gear (auto box) then would be extremely slow to restart sometimes not atall till battery flat

Now for the bad bit

sounds like either a wiring fault between the pedal and the ecu or between the ecu and the throttle body

or a sensor somewhere hasn't been plugged in?

did you replace the spark plugs?

the cooling system might not be blead right ie their could still be some air trapped in the heater matrix/or a faulty thermostat could cause problems

as for the miss fire a dodgy ht lead(wrap tape round to check)or coil fault

toasted valves go hand in hand running lpg as it burns hotter.

have double checked everything gs430 not popular in ireland parts are scarce i didnt notice a bleed on the heater hoses ?? is there one oh and yes i have replaced and checked all spark plugs and coils and injectors and all loom plugs im lost on this one and i dont give up easy im qualified mech and see lots of problems every day was hoping to get ray of light from someone with similar problem but have searched net and no similar can you get a throttle body anywher e and does it have to be set /calibrated?? like the iuzfe

• 1 month later...

hi all

sorted at last turned out to be a simple little issue after all tps sensor had bent pin in it and wasnt getting a reading which naturally was giving me no throttle response and starving my motor of fuel hence my miss sorted the sensor and now is running sweet as a nut cooling system bled out after a little more time and paitence had been applied been driving for a few days now and all seems good lots more power than before and starting hot or cold no problem

a happy ending yipee

thanks for your help anyone who replied especially ormi

ps i bought a full workshop manual off eBay for this motor covers everything i can send it on free to anyone who wants it proved usefull t me it cover gs 300 and 430 seems to be for mk2 model :winky: B)

Good News, Pleased for you :D

Get rid of the LPG! ( I Know they have always been popular on V8's for obvious reasons) But if you really must have Economy!....Then you know my answer !!

..Had a number of LPG Systems (mainly Range Rover & a Few Yank Pick-ups and a Chevy G20 Motorhome) Had more than my share of problems with LPG But it must be said most of it was down to poorly installed systems and lack of maintainance by previous owners!

....Nevertheless, it burn't out your valves on an Engine capable of Half a million miles or more!!

• 6 months later...

hi all

sorted at last turned out to be a simple little issue after all tps sensor had bent pin in it and wasnt getting a reading which naturally was giving me no throttle response and starving my motor of fuel hence my miss sorted the sensor and now is running sweet as a nut cooling system bled out after a little more time and paitence had been applied been driving for a few days now and all seems good lots more power than before and starting hot or cold no problem

a happy ending yipee

thanks for your help anyone who replied especially ormi

ps i bought a full workshop manual off ebay for this motor covers everything i can send it on free to anyone who wants it proved usefull t me it cover gs 300 and 430 seems to be for mk2 model :winky: B)

Hi

I have a gs430, (2001, 110,000) on Friday the radiator blew a hole and think it was because the head gasket failed, ( garage thinks so ) could I take you up on the offer of the manual - happy to reimburse you - and if anyone has had similar experience with GS 430, please let me know

regards