Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300 Auto Gearbox

Martin_80

I have bought my self a boat and with it a headache :) I need a suitable car for towing and pulling it out of the water, dont know the fancy world for it sorry :D

The boat is quite heavy, 24 feet long something that I believe the clutch in my is200 wouldn't like. When I look at pictures of the shifter on the auto in the is300 there is an "L". Would that be a gear suitable for pulling my boat out of the water?

I like my 200 and would like to keep it or buy a 300 if it has a "low gear". Two cars (is200 and a car with a "low gear" would be costly but perhaps it's my best option. Oh and I also need a car for trailing? my snowmobile in the winter. Toys are fun :D

My current is200 doesn't have a tow bar but ofcourse I can have one put on. Don't know if that is an option though since the 200 isn't that powerful....

Please help!

What kind of boat is it? And how much does it weigh? Also how steep is the slip way?

I work as a boat fitter and we use a Land Rover for putting boats in and out, and with our 24 footers (cuddy cabin sportsboat), the Landie clutch has to be worked if its not in low range, so I don't think an IS200 would'nt stand much chance. I have a friend however with a ~24 foot boat, whos got a Nissan Murano 3.5 V6, auto, that hasn't got an auto box, and he just plants the throttle and it goes up our quite steep slipway fine, so a IS300 auto should be ok for that. My dads old Vauxhall Omega 2.5td, would struggle with a 20 foot boat up the same slipway, with the clutch smelling bad.

As far as towing goes though you might be struggling. Our 24 foot boats weigh ~3 tonne on a trailer, so even most 4x4s would struggle legally (we've got a Nissan Navara and the towing capacity is only 2.8 tonne), so from memory I think legally a IS300 wouldn't be able to tow it, but could cope physically. Pretty much the only vehicles that can tow 3 tonne upwards are Landrovers and a few other 4x4s.

You may be better getting a cheap 4x4 just to use for the boat.

Hope this helps

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

I show you....

This is my boat. I don't think it can weigh more then one tonne, a wild quess would be 800-900kg. The is200 and 300 aren't allowed to tow more then 1200kg here in sweden don't know if it's the same in the UK. If my boat weighs 800kg or so I could end up below the 1200kg limit if I'm lucky. The is200 and 300 should be able to tow it on the road but without an auto I will kill the clutch eventually. I phoned Lexus and they said that pulling the boat out of the water wouldn't be a problem with an auto. Both is300 and is250 would manage the "pull" probably the 200 auto would do the trick also but on the road I feel the lack of torque in the 200 would make it feel like I have to torture the 2 litre engine but that is my opinion without having tested it.

A is300 or is250 or perhaps a RX 300/400 is the answer if I don't decide to get two cars. I still don't know... The RX xxx is a totally diffrent car but ofcourse more practical then the is xxx. It all comes down to money as always :)

DSCN0438.jpg