Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tips On Removing Silk Screen Printing From Abs Plastic

Brettster

I know we have a lot of experts in different professions here in the club so I'm reaching out for some help with a little project I'm working on.

Basically I wish to remove some silk screen print from some ABS plastic. I've tried white spirit, which cleans up the plastic nice but does nothing for the print.

and I've tried nail polish remover which does move the ink but also melts the plastic, due to the acetone I guess.

someone has mentioned using a sugar cube, but I don't have one to try, or see it being much use

Please post if you have an idea or proven technique. I wish to leave the plastic intact and retain its texture, but without the pesky ink.

Many Thanks

What is silk screen printing exactly? If it's of any use, I know the sugar cube trick does work - I've tried it scratch a logo off a phone once and it worked really well. Removed the logo with absolutely no damage to the plastic, no idea if that was the same though :unsure:

Thanks for the info, I'll try the cube trick once i find one hehe

silk screening is a process where they squeeze ink through a silk screen with bits cut out for the letters or logos, i think !!

if sugar cubes are in short supply...how about getting a small square of wide woven cotton/linen & wrapping some loose sugar in it, tie/elastic band the top so it makes a little pouch/pad - should have a very similar effect :winky:

if sugar cubes are in short supply...how about getting a small square of wide woven cotton/linen & wrapping some loose sugar in it, tie/elastic band the top so it makes a little pouch/pad - should have a very similar effect :winky:

Last time I was in Sainsburys, they had so many sugar cubes they were actually selling them. And the really handy thing is, if you find you have a surplus of these silk screen removing cubes, they also double up as handy sweetening devices for your tea or coffee :P

Last time I was in Sainsburys, they had so many sugar cubes they were actually selling them. And the really handy thing is, if you find you have a surplus of these silk screen removing cubes, they also double up as handy sweetening devices for your tea or coffee :P

PMSL good advice Mr T :P :lol:

:lol: