Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Laptops

swfcdan

Evening all,

Could anyone recommend me any decent laptops for a £400 budget. After getting one for my mum, but i've not looked at PC's/Laptops in about 5 years since converting to apple.

Only needs to do the basics and be reliable really.

Cheers

Dan

I got a Toshiba laptop from Staples for the mrs for £399 last month.

Its got a Dual Core 2 2.26 Intel processer, 160GB hard drive and 4GB RAM.

I guess it could have done with a bigger hard drive, but all my mrs wants from laptop is to check her emails and to use Facebook!

I got a Fujitsu-Siemens one, but it was about 18 months ago. Since then it's not put a foot wrong, and the price for the spec was pretty good - much better than most makes. The screen is especially lovely, very clear and bright. I've not really looked at the market since then though.

But on my present experience, I certainly wouldn't have any qualms about buying another one when the time comes...

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_55...074/version.asp

Direct from acer - now some people may say acer laptops arent that good, but! i used to sell these when i worked at bennetts electrical and EVERY single time that a laptop was returned as "faulty" it was because the numpties that bought them had no clue about software and caused problems gallore.

The components inside them are all the same, just put together by a different company... The components are as reliable in a cheap £200 laptop as they are in a £1000 laptop, if the person using it doesnt go crazy with software and clicking random things they dont take the time to understand...

So the above, is about £400 as you asked and a very high specification for that price, dual core 2.1ghz AMD processor (better than intel) 3gb ram, 500gb hdd graphics unfortunately are shared but with the processing capabilities and amount of ram im sure you'll never have a problem.

I've got an Acer, had it for 4 years now and never had a problem and its half the spec of the one above...

What makes you say the AMD is better than the Intel mate?

I bought a new Toshiba Satellite Pro from a place in Huddersfield called Laptops Direct recently - was well happy with the service and just went to pick it up :)

They've got some good deals on there:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Also I noticed on eBuyer they are offering a laptop without an OS which has a decent spec - don't think it's in stock at the moment though but it should be in soon:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167514

Bit of a bargain if you've already got an OS to go on there :)

What makes you say the AMD is better than the Intel mate?

Ok perhaps im going to have to change my posting due to recent hardware releases :) AMD 'used' to always be top of the market with processing speeds and reliability etc but it seems recently intel have actually taken back over the market again - how they've managed to do this after so many years of slugging behind im not entirely sure but its been a while since i was a web designer and as such i dont really keep up to date with things that well anymore, you have my apologies...

SWFCDAN - all you need to do is find a laptop within your budget that fits your specification requirements, remember, they all have warranty - most with the option of extendable and as i previously said all the components inside them are the same.

So judge the book by its cover, pick a nice looking one, cheap and try and head for warranty on it (accidental cover is brilliant)

Edit* that toshiba one you've put the link up to is really good for the price...

• 7 months later...