Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Are The Dangers Of Driving Without Traction Control Off (trc)

Rez89

i drive my car last night an turned the TRC off and the car felt much more responsive and more torky!

what are the main benefits of havinf TRC on??

the only one i know is that so the car does not skid and stays stable an high speeds at bends....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Switch off the TRC and chances are you will end up in a ditch with a crashed/written off IS200. That's if you don't know how to handle a RWD car with the TRC off.

^^^ Good advice

I sometimes turn off TC at traffic lights if I want to burn off some dude in a Corsa, sad I know but fun. If I leave TC on the power dips, not good for a clean getaway! TC is on at all other times!

same here ha ha TRC off for burning boy racers off at the lights, worth a laugh.

but i other than that i would keep it on, especially with our weather!

tried racing a M3 a couple of weeks back....hhhhmmmmm :$ not advised, i got undertaken and smoked :D

tried racing a M3 a couple of weeks back....hhhhmmmmm :$ not advised, i got undertaken and smoked :D

hmm...

343bhp M3 vs 153bhp IS200? What were you thinking man! The M3 will leave you for dead.

hmm...

343bhp M3 vs 153bhp IS200? What were you thinking man! The M3 will leave you for dead.

was worth a bash ha ha, i thought i had him when he started dropping back and then by the time i looked in my mirror he was undertaking me.

hmm...

was worth a bash ha ha, i thought i had him when he started dropping back and then by the time i looked in my mirror he was undertaking me.

Dont worry matey i loose as well, so having a 300 dont help either against those pesky m3's but its fun trying to keep up! also not had much experience with the trc off apart from doing donuts out side work =)

hmm...

Dont worry matey i loose as well, so having a 300 dont help either against those pesky m3's but its fun trying to keep up! also not had much experience with the trc off apart from doing donuts out side work =)

Whats your 300 like?? they nippy?

Just thinking, Blackpool turn theres lights on this weekend....we should see if we can get i Lex cruise going up the front.

Went last year and there must have been a mini meet on, looked good

turning the TRC off will not give you any more power. The TRC only does anything if the ABS sensors detect excessive wheel spin when it then cuts the injectors.

The increased shove you felt will have been a placebo effect.

^^^ Good advice

I sometimes turn off TC at traffic lights if I want to burn off some dude in a Corsa, sad I know but fun. If I leave TC on the power dips, not good for a clean getaway! TC is on at all other times!

I wouldn't have thought that you would need to do more than touch your accelerator pedal very very gently to leave a Corsa for dead :whistling:

I exactly done the same, there was bmw 3 series (i think 318) at a set of traffic lights on private land ;)

i turned off TRC an booooom left him! :lol:

apart from that my TRC is always on.

when is the best time to use the snow mode??? silly question i know but we hardly get any snow here! lol

i went into snow mode an my car was less responsive.

I exactly done the same, there was bmw 3 series (i think 318) at a set of traffic lights on private land ;)

i turned off TRC an booooom left him! :lol:

apart from that my TRC is always on.

when is the best time to use the snow mode??? silly question i know but we hardly get any snow here! lol

i went into snow mode an my car was less responsive.

Yeah the snow mode slows the car down really bad, but ive found that even when it does snow dont turn it on!

last time i did when it snowed i got stuck......nice lol

I use the SNOW mode in my day-to-day driving.

It dulls the throttle, but makes a slight difference to the mpg (improves the mpg slightly).

Oh, the IS200 is useless in the snow- you'll find it near impossible to drive an IS200 in the snow. Why you ask? Low profile/wide summer tyres, RWD and and 17/18 inch alloys are a bad combo in the snow.

Best to get some 16 inch steelies with winter tyres if it snows really heavy where you live.

I use the SNOW mode in my day-to-day driving.

It dulls the throttle, but makes a slight difference to the mpg (improves the mpg slightly).

Oh, the IS200 is useless in the snow- you'll find it near impossible to drive an IS200 in the snow. Why you ask? Low profile/wide summer tyres, RWD and and 17/18 inch alloys are a bad combo in the snow.

Best to get some 16 inch steelies with winter tyres if it snows really heavy where you live.

on all of my cars i have had 215/45/17 tyres....and i always get stuck in the snow! lol

i got stuck on an uphill road in Bolton..so to get myself out of it i reversed myslef out! lol

AN ATEEK THANKS FOR PIC....I AM NEVER GOING TO USE SNOW MODE!!!

rip ATEEKs car, you got a new one now pal??

yeah when it snowed and i got stuck going to work in Bolton aswell, it kind of :tsktsk: me off that Micras with front wheel drive got up the hill fine hhhmmmm think a cheap winter car maybe the case lol

this is what happend to me in the wet with snow controll on ....

3357dph.jpg

Sorry mate, driving in SNOW mode didn't make you crash your IS200.

Its things like the road condition, your speed, the weather, condition of your tyres etc that caused you to crash.

this is what happend to me in the wet with snow controll on ....

3357dph.jpg

Sorry mate, driving in SNOW mode didn't make you crash your IS200.

Its things like the road condition, your speed, the weather, condition of your tyres etc that caused you to crash.

2 main elements to not crashing are brain and right foot !

the brain makes the judgement and the right foot applies it

Mine stays off but I had an e30 bmw for a while with out any sort of trc so I guess I'm just used to it. All depends on the driver. Trouble is trc isn't much cop with out some sort of stability control for stopping drifts and spin offs

This is a bit of a silly thread if you ask me, everyone knows what traction control does and how it helps, but people survived for many years without it in far more powerful cars so it isn't a necessity.

At the end of the day, whenever the little yellow light blinks, your TRC is working. If it's off, in those instances it wouldn't have cut in - it's up to you whether that was important or not in those situations.

This is a bit of a silly thread if you ask me, everyone knows what traction control does and how it helps, but people survived for many years without it in far more powerful cars so it isn't a necessity.

At the end of the day, whenever the little yellow light blinks, your TRC is working. If it's off, in those instances it wouldn't have cut in - it's up to you whether that was important or not in those situations.

I too find this all rather silly but I am mortified that there are drivers out there that believe that pressing a button that is designed to reduce the sensitivity of the throttle in order to make it a little easier to gain a little traction in poor conditions could in some way magically make the driver and car invincible and make it possible to drive beyond your abillity for adverse road conditions in perfect safety.... If the TC light flashes on and off, then it is a clear indication that the car is doing automatically what the driver should have done.... Reduced the power being sent to the driving wheels.... The uncharitble among us may suggest that it is a clear indication that a box of cheap electronics is smarter than the guy behind the wheel..

This is scary stuff!!

yeah its very difficult to control in the snow...... :whistling: