Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oil Filter Removal Tool

lexusIT

Hi,

after my recent, unsuccesfull attempt to change the oil filter on my IS, I'v ebeen looking everywhere I could in order to find the proper tool designed to remove the damn filter.

I've discovered there are 100ths of different model oilfilter, and for each one there's aof course a different tool.

Unfortunately, after looking also on catalogues from several tool manufacturer (can't believe BETA doens't have one!!!) I couldn't possibly find the right one.

eBay didn't turn out anything good either, som I'm pretty loast at the moment.

I just can't find here in italy a 14 faces, 72mm tool.

Maybe some of you can give me some hint, maybe I can buy it in some UK online store? Maybe Ormi can help? Maybe, just maybe, someone can tell me what's the correct english name for that tool so that I can search it myself?

Thanks for all the help you can give.

r.

i use and have used for about 10 years a metal strap type tool, you turn the knob on the handle and it clamps the strap around the filter body, then just push or pull on the handle,

its never let me down, and doesnt damage the filters

this is the exact tool i have......apparently its a Renault workshop tool (shame they cant make there cars as Good)

mini-oil-change-tools.jpg

thanks mat for your help.

I have the same tool at home, tried but no success, there's actually not much room to play with it once you'r eunder the car, but i'm sure you know better ;-)

maybe it's just my filter that is supertight, I don' tknow... all I know is that that strapwrench just slides over the filter...

thanks anyway, I'll keep lookin around, all my hopes are on eBay at the moment.

I only struggled once with mine, water pump pliers if got it in the end if I remember rightly. Just go easy tightening it now so I can get it off by hand. Something you really need to have a feel for though because if you get it wrong...

theirs the tool i use matey.

p010809104901.jpg

if you go in to toyota or lexus they will be happy to sell you one.(the part number you see is what you need to ask for)

or you could go for the claw type thats the one i have as well it lets you get into confined spaces as well

512051855085.png

the oil filter should be screwed on till the seal touches the block then a further 1/4 turn

i had to use a strap wrench on my filter as well.

not exactly like the one monster-mat displayed...

the strap was leather, w/clamp down attached to the other side.

i used a rag to get the filter as dry and oil free as possible.

you know, if you still do not have it off,

and if you really want to get it off,

you could just stab a screwdriver through it...

makes quite a mess, but it will get it off.

• 6 years later...

you need to undo, the inlet manifold brace

Yes you definitely do! I've never had an oil filter removal, always use a screwdriver and hammer lol

So I pierced the oil filter and got the screwdriver though and went to turn it and immediately hit that bar so it didn't untwist.

Just saw your post about the brace bar so I removed a 12mm bolt on one side of the bar then pulled it out the way and hey presto I got a full turn with the screwdriver and then removed the filter by hand :) Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links