Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all.

have a couple of questions I hope some one can help me with,just got a replacement radio for my gs300 mk 2 as my LCD had gone on mine,and i am putting another same type in from of another mk2.

can any one tell me how easy is it to remove old one? as i dont want to damage dash,I have read a few topics but cant find one that axplains how to remove.

Are the mk 2 radios coded or not? some say they are others say its last digits of chasie number.

any help welcome

Don

Hi all.

have a couple of questions I hope some one can help me with,just got a replacement radio for my gs300 mk 2 as my LCD had gone on mine,and i am putting another same type in from of another mk2.

can any one tell me how easy is it to remove old one? as i dont want to damage dash,I have read a few topics but cant find one that axplains how to remove.

Are the mk 2 radios coded or not? some say they are others say its last digits of chasie number.

any help welcome

Don

Look at the Sticky up top !

Easy job...Ashtray out, Vents out , 4 bolts, unplug connections :winky:

Hi all.

any help welcome

Don

Look at the Sticky up top !

Easy job...Ashtray out, Vents out , 4 bolts, unplug connections :winky:

what is sticky up top?

Hi all.

any help welcome

Don

sorry i found what you on about, thanks

Hi all.

any help welcome

Don

well it looks easy,

thanks for that

Hi all.

any help welcome

Don

well it looks easy,

thanks for that

Just a bit of info for you all,I phoned my local LEXUS in Wolverhampton to ask about radio codes, and they said most new models now are put in by diagnosic and for those which are not they will recode for 45 pounds which is not bad for LEXUS.

But I found another local place premier recodes in Oakengates they will check LCD for me for nothing and recode it only if needed for 25 pounds so I taking it in next week some time and then next weekend I will change the 2 over myself as it looks easy to do

Hi all.

any help welcome

Don

well it looks easy,

thanks for that

Just a bit of info for you all,I phoned my local LEXUS in Wolverhampton to ask about radio codes, and they said most new models now are put in by diagnosic and for those which are not they will recode for 45 pounds which is not bad for LEXUS.

But I found another local place premier recodes in Oakengates they will check LCD for me for nothing and recode it only if needed for 25 pounds so I taking it in next week some time and then next weekend I will change the 2 over myself as it looks easy to do

Took my replacment radio to the shop today.

Can anybody help me,

I have been to my local premier recodes but quess what it LEXUS and he ant got wireing diagam for it,so as anybody got wiring diagam for both plugs that go into back of radio need to know what feeds each pin.

Can anybody help me,

I have been to my local premier recodes but quess what it LEXUS and he ant got wireing diagam for it,so as anybody got wiring diagam for both plugs that go into back of radio need to know what feeds each pin.

Do these help?

mk2radio.jpg

mk2radio2.jpg

Can anybody help me,

Do these help?

mk2radio.jpg

mk2radio2.jpg

not sure tigerfish, are these for mk 1 or mk 2

Can anybody help me,

Do these help?

mk2radio.jpg

mk2radio2.jpg

Mk2

Can anybody help me,

Do these help?

mk2radio.jpg

mk2radio2.jpg

Mk2

Thanks tigerfish,will let let them have it tomorrow and hopefully they can test lcd screen and recode it.

many thanks

don

Can anybody help me,

Do these help?

mk2radio.jpg

mk2radio2.jpg

Mk2

Thanks tigerfish,will let let them have it tomorrow and hopefully they can test lcd screen and recode it.

many thanks

don

sorry tigerfish this dont help them,what they said they need is the wiring diagam for inside in onther words which pin feeds what inside the radio,

I think I will be beter going to LEXUS and getting them to do it for 45

sorry tigerfish this dont help them,what they said they need is the wiring diagam for inside in onther words which pin feeds what inside the radio,

Yeah, I think you'll be barking up a very difficult tree if they want the actual radio wiring diagram. Obviously the pins on the connectors are identified on the diagrams, but thats it.

Do you now have two head units? Your original broken one and a second one that don't work either?

Yeah, I think you'll be barking up a very difficult tree if they want the actual radio wiring diagram. Obviously the pins on the connectors are identified on the diagrams, but thats it.

Do you now have two head units? Your original broken one and a second one that don't work either?

YES i have 2

mine dos work fine but LCD is half missing, the secondhand one I have got which came out of a 3 year younger car I was told LCD is working but they didnt have code? I have just put phone down from LEXUS and I cant find the girl who I spoke to who gave me a price of 45.

this is what they are saying the radios do not have codes in if they do its the last 4 digits of chassis no so i back to to where i started.

LEXUS are saying if it needs to be recoded they send them away and are charged 65 just for looking not recodeing

YES i have 2

mine dos work fine but LCD is half missing, the secondhand one I have got which came out of a 3 year younger car I was told LCD is working but they didnt have code? I have just put phone down from LEXUS and I cant find the girl who I spoke to who gave me a price of 45.

this is what they are saying the radios do not have codes in if they do its the last 4 digits of chassis no so i back to to where i started.

LEXUS are saying if it needs to be recoded they send them away and are charged 65 just for looking not recodeing

Have you tried powering up the new one to confirm it needs a code? No idea how they work on the mk2's, but on the mk1 it flashes up with SEC when initially turned on to indicate there is a code set. That way you know if you take the Battery off, it will need entering. They could just be assuming it has one set all the time??

Or, can you swap the LCD over yourself?

YES i have 2

Have you tried powering up the new one to confirm it needs a code? No idea how they work on the mk2's, but on the mk1 it flashes up with SEC when initially turned on to indicate there is a code set. That way you know if you take the Battery off, it will need entering. They could just be assuming it has one set all the time??

Or, can you swap the LCD over yourself?

I have thought of that but i still in same boat, i not got a code for mine that if ther is a code in it? As i said mine is working but if i take it out and replacement dont work then i put mine back in will it work again.

surely there are mk2 owners on here who have taken there Battery off and back on do they put codes back in theres if so dos it tally with there chassie no.

I just dont want to be without radio if i try changing them over

surely there are mk2 owners on here who have taken there battery off and back on do they put codes back in theres if so dos it tally with there chassie no.

I would've thought so. Looking through the mk2 owners manual I can't find any mention of security on the radio at all, so I assume it must be written on a suppliment or something. Although, on the trouble shooting for the audio system, it says that SEC will appear in the LCD and dissapear after 1 second when you switch the stereo on during normal operation. If SEC doesn't appear for 1 second, there is no code. If you never saw that come up when your LCD display was working, then you should be able to assume that it doesn't have a code set on your own head unit. Using the wiring diagrams I gave above, the hifi shop you took the stuff to should be able to at least power up the replacement headunit to see if the newer headunit asks for a code in the first place. If not, there is no code to clear and you should be able to save yourself a few quid. The same test should prove the LCD is working also. If you were nearer me, I would power it up for you (or you could do it yourself using the diagrams).

surely there are mk2 owners on here who have taken there battery off and back on do they put codes back in theres if so dos it tally with there chassie no.

I would've thought so. Looking through the mk2 owners manual I can't find any mention of security on the radio at all, so I assume it must be written on a suppliment or something. Although, on the trouble shooting for the audio system, it says that SEC will appear in the LCD and dissapear after 1 second when you switch the stereo on during normal operation. If SEC doesn't appear for 1 second, there is no code. If you never saw that come up when your LCD display was working, then you should be able to assume that it doesn't have a code set on your own head unit. Using the wiring diagrams I gave above, the hifi shop you took the stuff to should be able to at least power up the replacement headunit to see if the newer headunit asks for a code in the first place. If not, there is no code to clear and you should be able to save yourself a few quid. The same test should prove the LCD is working also. If you were nearer me, I would power it up for you (or you could do it yourself using the diagrams).

thanks tigerfish, about mine i have only had the car for 2 yrs and the last owner a very good friend of mind had it for about 5/6 yrs and he never had Battery off and never had a code with car? I have been back intouch with premier recodes they can do it if they had the plugs so i have been intouch with the people i had radio from and they are sending me the plugs and i will have them on monday.

I will take it in to recodes on tue/wed and hopefully your diagams and the plugs will get it sorted???????????

thanks for all your help I will let you know how i get on maybe wed/thur thanks again

Don

HI tigerfish, can you help me on this one i am still having problems,i have had plugs come and i been back to shop but with the plugs and wires and your diagram they cant identify the live one, do you know which colour is the live one and i will fire it up myself

Thought I would add to this Thread As I am soon to change my Audio Head Unit with the Replacement Lexus Item!

Quite simply, The Mk2 '98 On Models ,Do Not come with a code (SEC) from the Factory!.....But Have the Facility for the Owner to Input their OWN 3 Digit Code as per the instructions in the Owners Handbook............NO Problem......

.......Unless However, If you are buying a Second hand car (which will obviouslyl be the case) Then You should Obtain the 3 Digit code from the Seller (assuming he knows it!!!) Before you drive away in the Vehicle!!!!

As Has been mentioned, You will Know a Code has been Input, By the 'SEC' (Security) symbols briefly appearing in the Audio Display as the Ignition key passes ACC'........If NO 'SEC' Symbol appears, Then it has not been Coded & you are Free , if you so wish, to input your own Code!

It is Therefore Prudent If you are about to Sell your GS Mk2, To go through the Proceedure of DELETING your Personal Security code (as per instuctions in the Owners handbook) Before you Sell your Vehicle, Therefore alleviating the Potential hassle to the New & Subsequent Owner/s

The CODE (If Input) Will Stay with the Audio Unit itself, (Not within the Brain/ECU of the Car!).......So if Purchasing a second hand Audio Unit (say from a Breakers) Then you will need to ascertain if it has a code & What 3 digit number it is!..........You Obviously Can't DELETE The Code without first Knowing the original 3 digit code that was input!

You have 9 (nine) attempts to get the Coding proceedure right!......If all Fails, it's a trip to Your Lexus Main Dealer! (£45-£100+ to sort!)

..Obvious & Common sense!...But I thought it Worth Spelling it out!

Good luck, Phil.

Thought I would add to this Thread As I am soon to change my Audio Head Unit with the Replacement Lexus Item!

Quite simply, The Mk2 '98 On Models ,Do Not come with a code (SEC) from the Factory!.....But Have the Facility for the Owner to Input their OWN 3 Digit Code as per the instructions in the Owners Handbook............NO Problem......

.......Unless However, If you are buying a Second hand car (which will obviouslyl be the case) Then You should Obtain the 3 Digit code from the Seller (assuming he knows it!!!) Before you drive away in the Vehicle!!!!

As Has been mentioned, You will Know a Code has been Input, By the 'SEC' (Security) symbols briefly appearing in the Audio Display as the Ignition key passes ACC'........If NO 'SEC' Symbol appears, Then it has not been Coded & you are Free , if you so wish, to input your own Code!

It is Therefore Prudent If you are about to Sell your GS Mk2, To go through the Proceedure of DELETING your Personal Security code (as per instuctions in the Owners handbook) Before you Sell your Vehicle, Therefore alleviating the Potential hassle to the New & Subsequent Owner/s

The CODE (If Input) Will Stay with the Audio Unit itself, (Not within the Brain/ECU of the Car!).......So if Purchasing a second hand Audio Unit (say from a Breakers) Then you will need to ascertain if it has a code & What 3 digit number it is!..........You Obviously Can't DELETE The Code without first Knowing the original 3 digit code that was input!

You have 9 (nine) attempts to get the Coding proceedure right!......If all Fails, it's a trip to Your Lexus Main Dealer! (£45-£100+ to sort!)

..Obvious & Common sense!...But I thought it Worth Spelling it out!

Good luck, Phil.

Hi Phil, yes I do know all this and I do have all paperwork and manuels with the car.

I have had car 2 yrs the last owner was a very good friend who as since past on,but he told me that when he had car he was never given a code and never needed to take Battery off and he had it for 5/6 yrs, so I know if mine is coded the other radio came out of a 2001 model and was working with LSD working ok so they tell me, I have found a place that will recode it if needed, but I need to know which colour wire is the live as LEXUS dont use standard colour codes?there are lots of talk about codes

ie

not coded

last numbers of chassey numbers

anyway thanks

don

MMMmmmmmm..!!!!.............Forgive me if i am missing something here..

...Why Dont you just fit the whole New Audio unit assembly into your Car, Turn it on, if it has been security coded and you cant get it to work, Then Take it down to Lexus to get The Audio unit Re-set via the ECU?..................Job done!.........You will have to accept the fact that you will be charged the going rate by Lexus .

Or am i missing something very obvious here?

Cheers.

MMMmmmmmm..!!!!.............Forgive me if i am missing something here..

...Why Dont you just fit the whole New Audio unit assembly into your Car, Turn it on, if it has been security coded and you cant get it to work, Then Take it down to Lexus to get The Audio unit Re-set via the ECU?..................Job done!.........You will have to accept the fact that you will be charged the going rate by Lexus .

Or am i missing something very obvious here?

Cheers.

I have explaned my radio dos work its LSD that is the problem? if both units are coded then i will be without radio and i have phoned LEXUS about recodes and LEXUS dont recode they send them away for recodes and its 60 notes just to look not recode so you looking at 100 notes or there abouts

Aaahhh!..OK, Got it Now :D

Right, It is your LCD Audio Display that is Losing its display and you have bought another complete Audio unit to replace your old one !

This is the Fix..........Contact... http://www.semenedis.com/

Tell them you have a Pioneer (Lexus) Head unit KEX-8176 ZT and you need the LCD Display unit, Part Number CWM4932..

..They will order it for you (might take 1-2 Weeks)

The Proceedure for fitting it is on a sticky on this and the USA Forums (it is an easy job to do, you will have it done within the hour!) I have done this Myself!

Now the Bad Bit ! It will cost you around £150 for the LCD Panel !!

NOW the GOOD Bit......Take the One out of your Replacement Audio unit & Put it in your Existing unit.

Good Luck, Phil.

Aaahhh!..OK, Got it Now :D

Right, It is your LCD Audio Display that is Losing its display and you have bought another complete Audio unit to replace your old one !

This is the Fix..........Contact... http://www.semenedis.com/

Tell them you have a Pioneer (Lexus) Head unit KEX-8176 ZT and you need the LCD Display unit, Part Number CWM4932..

..They will order it for you (might take 1-2 Weeks)

The Proceedure for fitting it is on a sticky on this and the USA Forums (it is an easy job to do, you will have it done within the hour!) I have done this Myself!

Now the Bad Bit ! It will cost you around £150 for the LCD Panel !!

NOW the GOOD Bit......Take the One out of your Replacement Audio unit & Put it in your Existing unit.

Good Luck, Phil.

sorry phil i have been down that road yes i can get a replacement LCD and fit it myself for 100 notes, but if i can fire this replacement radio up and its not coded then all i have to do is change them over,but i need to know the colour of wire that feeds the live so i can fire it up not in car and that will tell me if it is or not coded, if it is then i can get it recoded for 25 but they will not touch it till i tell them where the live is that is what colour.