Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Declaring Modifications

Norv

Hi there,

Bit of a complicated one here. Where would someone stand if they had an accident with the car which happened on private property on an industrial estate which didn't involve anyone else. If the car had just been modified and road tested on private property when the accident happened, where would that leave it?

Obviously the modification can't be declared until it has been done. But as it wasn't on a public highway would it count as invalid insurance?

Hoping someone on here is an insurance person!

Cheers,

Mark.

The chances are, if the mod is not declared and a claim made where there was no other persons or vehicles involved, the insurance would sort it out but would not cover any costs against the modification(s) if they were damaged. Which depending what the said mod(s) are, may make the car unusable if not repaired or replaced. But, as I'm not an insurance person, that is just an educated guess.

Well basically what happened was, I was in the workshop where I work and finally fitted my TTE lowering springs and TRD ARB's (and stainless dials).

I went for a quick road test around the industrial estate and came round a corner where a cat ran out from the trees, I swerved and braked to avoid it and lost control. The car span round and hit a post and the curb. The o/s/r wheel is pointing at about 40 degrees to the left and the front bumper, bonnet and o/s/f headlight are broken.

I haven't had a big look at everything yet.

I rang the insurance company and explained the situation, I had just modified it and on private property etc.. so not intending to drive on the public highway. I also have a works van mon - fri to use so didn't need to use the car. The guy on the phone seemed fairly happy with it and said as it was only some springs and ARB's he didnt think it would cause a problem. As I'm insured through a broker I told them about the mods and they didnt even put the premium up.

Just waiting to hear back from them.

I will put a picture up later.

Ormi is it usually anything in particular that gives way on the rear axle? Looks like it would be the panhard arm, but not sure.

Cheers,

Mark.

Lets hope so! First ever claim on insurance so have no idea how it works or how long it takes them to get it sorted.

I'm hoping that no additional premium means they aren't too worried about it.

Time will tell!

Mark.

DSC00355.jpg

Hopefully that picture worked...

Insurance seem happy with what happened. I suppose its a refreshing change for someone to be completely honest with them with something like this!

Still waiting back to find out if it is repairable or a write off, hopefully won't be a write off but the inspector seemed to think so going by the rear axle damage.

So, does anyone know for an IS200 in Platinum Ice with rear end damage? I need a bonnet, o/s/f wing, o/s headlight, a front bumper and the under trays.

Not sure about the rear axle damage, hoping ORMI could give me a clue as to what normally goes wrong when the wheel is at 40 degrees!

Cheers, Mark.

It lloks like it's already had some damage by the different colours down the driver's side to the front. Looks like a big frontal? Any other evidence was it hpi clear when you bought it.

What's the age and mileage, that's normally a good indication of repair / write-off.

It's a 2001 Y plate, odometer says 36,000m but its done about 130,000.

Not had any other smashes as far as I know. It's hpi clear and the paintwork doesn't look different at all, must just be the photo taken from my phone.

Hopefully not a write off as its a pretty tidy car.

Any idea how much they want to buy them back if they do decide its too far gone?

Cheers, Mark.

oh my word that is bent right here goes lower wishbone,upper wishbone,rear antiroll bar,poss rear strut damage,poss drive shaft damage also the hub carrier+bearing+hub will be damaged also you might have chassis damage.sorry not good news but it will prob be written off. :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

I finally got the outcome of the inspectors report. Basically they said its a Cat C write off. The inspector said he thought it was £3000+VAT worth of damage.

Not sure if its worth trying to buy it back as it will be a lot of time and effort to sort it out. I'm no body work repair man so it will never be spot on again.

The car is at my workplace yard at the moment, they have asked me to send the v5, MoT, Insurance certificate and the keys to them recorded delivery.

There are a few things I wouldn't mind from the car really, do you think I could get away with taking the ARB's back off it to sell? Not sure if they inspect the car again after declaring it a write off. But the ARB's are £300 and less than an hour to take off! The lowering springs are too much hassle though.

Now I need to decide if another Lex is practical or not!!!! God I loved that car!

Cheers, Mark.

you might find the rear anti roll bar might be too badly damaged to sell??youll need to remove and inspect.how much for the bars?

also i would remove your hid's.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links