Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

'new' 4 Year Owner - 1st Major Decision/question

jackiewilson

Hi folks,

Owned a GS300 SE Auto, registered by Lexus on 9/11 would you believe, but bought second hand from a main dealer, as a 4 year old in Feb 2006.

Unmodified, grey-green metallic with an antique satnav. Based in West Yorkshire.

Use it for a couple of long trips a year and back and forth within about 10 miles, so 27k in 3.5 years, without problems. Just a new Battery.

After warranties etc ran out started servicing it at independent Toyota garage.

The Decision:

Refurbed alloys with new tyres c/o PX in Blackpool - a day out OR buy some New alternative alloys/tyres?

Reason:

Tyres need replacing soon. Original 17" alloys are shot and I think they'd been patched up when I bought the car, judging by the way they've worn since, although I've hit the kerb a few times on parking. Also the garage tells me one wheel is slightly buckled and that might be the reason for steering wheel judder at 65mph, which has been there from the start and Lexus dealer denied. The offending wheel's tyre is also prone to deflating a bit which doesn't help.

Question: Which is best? new or refurb'd?

I've looked on the boards and got so far but ... I'm not particularly interested in alloys and have already spent a while looking at them on the internet. I worry about picking the "right" ones. I'd be happy with replacing them with the same or similar. So if people think new alloys are better could you narrow down the choice for me and where to buy from. Same goes for tyres. Are PX refurbed as good as they sound - they say they straighten out buckles etc and junk cracked wheels, so the replacements should be OK?

As you might have gathered I don't drive fast much, just cruise along in comfort!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

jw

p.s. less important but at the back of my mind -

Can I get a DVD to update my satnav without paying Lexus prices?

I've had two alloys straightened and refurbed and they're as good as new, can't say it works for everyone but I was very happy with mine.

In terms of alloys, you sound like you prefer the OEM look, in which case I'd look to get yours refurbed, or get another set of Lexus alloys off eBay or similar. Might even get a set of tyres included and save yourself a bit.

Update DVD are a bit cheaper HERE

Welcome to LOC btw :)

I've had two alloys straightened and refurbed and they're as good as new, can't say it works for everyone but I was very happy with mine.

In terms of alloys, you sound like you prefer the OEM look, in which case I'd look to get yours refurbed, or get another set of Lexus alloys off ebay or similar. Might even get a set of tyres included and save yourself a bit.

Thank you for the welcome and helpful reply. It's given me some reassurance about refurbs.

Out of interest Lexus would charge £464 per wheel for replacements.

The DVD link is useful too.

>>> Any thoughts on tyres - another mystery area for me - is there a value compromise?

Yeah I wouldn't get replacements from Lexus, but eBay often has used genuine Lexus sets of alloys for very good money, so worth keeping your eye out.

My personal opinion is that tyres is the one area where compromising is not a good idea - it's the only thing keeping you in contact with the road and make such a huge difference :)

just check that px wheels in blackpool are still trading, I've bin told they've closed

In terms of alloys, you sound like you prefer the OEM look, in which case I'd look to get yours refurbed, or get another set of Lexus alloys off ebay or similar. Might even get a set of tyres included and save yourself a bit.

Thank you for the welcome and helpful reply. It's given me some reassurance about refurbs.

>>> Any thoughts on tyres - another mystery area for me - is there a value compromise?

just check that px wheels in blackpool are still trading, I've bin told they've closed

Yep - they are still there.

OK - last one - which tyres should I look for? I am driving max 80mph on motorway very occasionally but mostly around town/ dual carriageway within the limits, but accept the 'Quality' argument.

For example, I see in the middle of PX's list Falken 452's are around £80 each - are they reasonable quality/price?

No probs about asking questions! :)

There are quite a few members who use Falken 452s and are happy with them, so I think they must be a good tyre. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics which are the best tyres I've ever used and recommend them highly, but may cost a little more (and may last fewer miles although I haven't been able to test this yet)

No probs about asking questions! :)

There are quite a few members who use Falken 452s and are happy with them, so I think they must be a good tyre. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics which are the best tyres I've ever used and recommend them highly, but may cost a little more (and may last fewer miles although I haven't been able to test this yet)

Thanks again - it's been an education :)