Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt Replace Interval

Since there are quite a few different 'opinions' about the interval I have emailed my old Lexus/Toyota dealer from when I was still in Holland...

I have received an email back from the chief mechanic. He had also checked with other Lexus Dealers in Holland and the interval there is 150,000 km (93205 miles) or 6 years.

This goes for all L400s.

Since there are quite a few different 'opinions' about the interval I have emailed my old Lexus/Toyota dealer from when I was still in Holland...

I have received an email back from the chief mechanic. He had also checked with other Lexus Dealers in Holland and the interval there is 150,000 km (93205 miles) or 6 years.

This goes for all L400s.

For the UK its 63,000 miles all ls 400 models page 26 of service book. It depends on the type of mileage a car does a lot of stop start driving then it will wear quicker. If you only do Motorway work it will last longer. I asume in Holland they expect an owner of an ls 400 to be using it for distance across europe jaunts on the motorway system, hence the higher mileage, I also belive in the states its 100,000 miles or 6 years also correct me if im wrong. Most owners handbooks state that if a car is used for mostly around town work ie a taxi the belt interval should be reduced. The only one I know of going was on my mates in Liverpool shortly after it had been replaced by Lexus ( either an idler siezed or the water pump I dont remember)

that was on a 93 mark 2 non interfearence engine, He then redone the job himself replacing the belt idlers & water pump.

IMHO it would depend on the type of mileage you do as to when to replace the belt ( mine is mixed 9 miles a day in traffic & a couple of jaunts to Germany a year so I would replace mine at 63 k)

This goes for all L400s.

For the UK its 63,000 miles all ls 400 models page 26 of service book. It depends on the type of mileage a car does a lot of stop start driving then it will wear quicker. If you only do Motorway work it will last longer. I asume in Holland they expect an owner of an ls 400 to be using it for distance across europe jaunts on the motorway system, hence the higher mileage, I also belive in the states its 100,000 miles or 6 years also correct me if im wrong. Most owners handbooks state that if a car is used for mostly around town work ie a taxi the belt interval should be reduced. The only one I know of going was on my mates in Liverpool shortly after it had been replaced by Lexus ( either an idler siezed or the water pump I dont remember)

that was on a 93 mark 2 non interfearence engine, He then redone the job himself replacing the belt idlers & water pump.

IMHO it would depend on the type of mileage you do as to when to replace the belt ( mine is mixed 9 miles a day in traffic & a couple of jaunts to Germany a year so I would replace mine at 63 k)

In Holland people are using the Ls the same as here. Normal work-home trips, besides Holland is a LOT smaller than the UK :)

How can a dealer predict how the car is going to be used? :huh:

I am now def. sticking with 90k :)

Hi Ruud I would presume its Lexus that decide on which intervals for which country not the dealers, they probably go on surveys of usage on larger cars. If you contact Lexus they would probably give you an explanation as to why intervals differ. If I was only doing distance mileage i would probably look at 100k changes as that is what it is on the 430s. if i was only doing London driving I would change it earlier than the 63k recomended.Mind you engines are really cheap used on these as they rarely go wrong so if a belt weny pop it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Hi Ruud I would presume its Lexus that decide on which intervals for which country not the dealers, they probably go on surveys of usage on larger cars. If you contact Lexus they would probably give you an explanation as to why intervals differ. If I was only doing distance mileage i would probably look at 100k changes as that is what it is on the 430s. if i was only doing London driving I would change it earlier than the 63k recomended.Mind you engines are really cheap used on these as they rarely go wrong so if a belt weny pop it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I will do just that.

I'll contact Lexus and let you know :)

I thought when a belt went, it ruined some engines by bending components inside etc (if you try to start it again!!)

Except for the MkI & II which have non-interference engines.

i have a 1994 m reg ls400 is that mark II?

in my service book and when i rang lexus it was 63000 miles or 6 years (which ever comes first)

Yes, '94 is mkII

I know the UK service book says 63k.

They must be after your money when in the rest of the world it's 90k plus ;)

I thought when a belt went, it ruined some engines by bending components inside etc (if you try to start it again!!)

It will bend things when the belt snaps - when the pistons kiss the valves.

Hi jelly bean an non interfearence engine means the pistons wont reach the valves, this is so with the mark 1&2 ls400s. I wish it was the same for the 3&4 models then the belt wouldn't be an issue. ( just an inconvienience if it went).

It will bend things when the belt snaps - when the pistons kiss the valves.

Hi jelly bean an non interfearence engine means the pistons wont reach the valves, this is so with the mark 1&2 ls400s. I wish it was the same for the 3&4 models then the belt wouldn't be an issue. ( just an inconvienience if it went).

I know that. What I meant was that it won't bend components "if you try and start it again" as it the damage will already have been done.

what's changed int he mk3 engine from the mk2 to make it an interference engine? is it the reason for the extra 10bhp?

hi it has a longer stroke for more compresion hence more power, but has become an interference engine in the process.

I've just bought a Mk 4 from Ninety-eight. It has 122k on the clock, and belt change was done at 63k back in 2002. He couldn't confirm if a replacement had been fitted, so I'll get it done soon for peace of mind. Is it imperative to change idler pulleys and water pump at the same time, or is it a visual inspection, and replace if any wear is detected?

Pete

hi it has a longer stroke for more compresion hence more power, but has become an interference engine in the process.

Bore & stroke are same, Mks 1-4. Mks 3 & 4 have slightly higher compresssion ratios than Mks 1 & 2 (10.4 to 10.0). Achieved, presumably by altered shape of piston crown.

I've just bought a Mk 4 from Ninety-eight. It has 122k on the clock, and belt change was done at 63k back in 2002. He couldn't confirm if a replacement had been fitted, so I'll get it done soon for peace of mind. Is it imperative to change idler pulleys and water pump at the same time, or is it a visual inspection, and replace if any wear is detected?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome :)

Milage wise I'd say you're still OK but since it has been 7 years I'd get it done as well. I'd also replace idlers, pulleys and the water pump, even if they look OK.

Whilst getting an oil change in a mate's garage today, I asked about changeing the cam belt. He checked on his computer and the time allowed is 3 hours. He's going to get a price for all the parts for me when I return from holiday.

I'll keep you posted.

Pete

Hi Pete go with genuine parts, go Gold on here & get a discount, they wont be to much more than patern parts. If your garage is only going to charge 3 hours to fit them go with it as there is a mountain of stuff to remove & replace.

I intend to use correct parts, and have asked my garage to price them out (he's my mate's son in law, so mates rates :) ).

I usually do all my own maintenance, but I'm getting lazy in my old age. I'll check out gold membership - thanks for the tip.

Pete