Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Condensation In Headlight..

Solhatt

Hi when i was heading for work this morning i noticed that the left headlight had some condense on it and i tried wiping it off but it's on the inside of the headlight :(

I mounted a new grille yesterday and i had to wash my car before i started changing the grille so guess that's when the water came in.

What to do now? Guess i have to bake my headlight and take it apart, but what can i use to reseal it? And how long can i have condense inside the headlight before it gets damaged?

img_0117.jpg

Had the same problem when changed my bumper but took light out put hairdrier in the bulb holder dried the moist out then i discovered there is a flap at the top of the back of the headlight pulled it up and found that the foam breather witch vents the light was damp and dirty so pulled them out and just put new bit of foam in since then nothing no moisture in lights so would sugest to try that first save you hassle of taking lights if you dont need to hope that helps

I have only just sorted this problem on my car whilst fitting Angel Eyes. The headlamp units have 2 sponge breathers which will not stop condensation as they will saturate quickly if the lens seals leak. Remove the headlamp and bake to remove the lens. Dry the inside with a hair dryer. Partly close the unit so the glue is exposed still and heat in the oven again. Once its hot use silicone sealant on the seams and close the unit properly. I drove 70 miles in very heavy rain after doing mine and not a drop of moisture got in.

• 7 years later...

On 27/11/2009 at 10:51 AM, Maffison said:

I have only just sorted this problem on my car whilst fitting Angel Eyes. The headlamp units have 2 sponge breathers which will not stop condensation as they will saturate quickly if the lens seals leak. Remove the headlamp and bake to remove the lens. Dry the inside with a hair dryer. Partly close the unit so the glue is exposed still and heat in the oven again. Once its hot use silicone sealant on the seams and close the unit properly. I drove 70 miles in very heavy rain after doing mine and not a drop of moisture got in.

know anyone in the midlands who can do this for me?

• 3 weeks later...

It's easily done, put it in the oven on low, and check after 5 minutes and try and break apart, keep repeating until you can part the lens. Then do whatever you need to and then do the reverse.