Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Button

BillNick

Cutting the spark would also cause the engine to stall. If you keep your foot planted and let the trc cut in you can keep it cut in for a considerable time period, if the spark was cut for this long the engine would stall compleatly.

You are confusing TRC with the rev limiter which is there to stop you melting the bearings and generally wrecking the engine if you plant your foot when there is little or no load. TRC in snow mode dulls the throttle response and applies different programming to the ECU to reduce torque and power output - it just makes the engine a bit more docile and the brakes less aggressive to make the car react less to knee-jerk violent foot movements when you s**t yourself as the car starts to slide or go the wrong way. It is up to you if you think you can do better without it - but you are probably wrong.

I am most definately not confusing TRC with the rev limiter, you don't even know the difference between the traction control and snow mode FFS.

Neither of them have got any thing to do with the brakes either.

And finally I am not wrong I HAVE BEEN THERE, FOR ABOUT THE THIRD TIME OF SAYING IN THIS THREAD. The traction control kills the engine stone dead if you keep it cut in, end of. If you know better go out and try it for yourself and learn what you are talking about before you post up.

Oh and the quote you have above is not from me.

Sorry I messed up the source of the original quote.

Firstly, Snow Mode is an instance of overall traction control which involves both the ABS/TRC processor and the ECU processor which are partially integrated, and in that mode provide a lower engine power/torque profile, duller throttle response and changes the ABS characteristics. It is fairly unsophisticated as you would expect from a design over 10 years old and not as effective as more recent systems - but better than nothing. Secondly, I don't doubt at all that you have had your traction control kill the engine stone dead; but it won't do that once it is fixed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i went out last night did a spot of green laning. I tried the system on and off. At one point i got stuck really stuck, snow on and traction on, the engine bogged down and yes it did stall, but only because of my inabilaty to press the clutch before i realised i had vertually no revs on. I was in very deep snow going down the hill was fine but when i turned up hill i was stuck. The front wheels got stuck against the snow it was like rolling the wheels up against a curb then trying to get up it. With the trc of it just spun and spun, with the trc on it limited the revs and gave some grip but not enough to ride the car upthe small snow bank infront of my wheels. In the end i managed to reverse back and get some momentum and get ferther up the lane.

At the top of the lane is a drainage ditch across the path i failed to hit this with enough speed to get through it. The ditch allows water to cross the road and is pretty deep now so my rear wheels got stuck in it. No matter what i did trc on snow on both of didnt matter i wasnt getting out. At no point did the trc cut my car out. It was like trying to pull away with the hand brake on. Wasnt the trc killing the engine was the lack of forward motion with the limited power that stalled it. So i guess in a round about kind of way the trc limiting the power caused the stall but in reality i was the cars lack of movement that caused the stall. I was getting grip with the trc and snow on just not enough to get me out of the ditch. I got my tow truck out and yes got that stuck to, ended up ringing a pal/customer who wons a new Rangerover discovery 3 the big ***** v6 diesel one. You know the one i take the mick out of him for owning. So after a big slice of humble pie and a real short tow rope ( 2 ton rope snapped twice) he got my tow truck and then me out. So after a well and trully tested session i still stand by what i said, in real deep deep trouble the engine may stall but not because the trc stalled it. If you dont apply enough power to pull away then the engine will stall just like we all probably did on our driving lessons, the trc system restrics the power but initself will not stall the enigine its not connected to the spark or fuel systems to cannot shut the engine of.

If you drive slowly enough and smoothly enogh you dont need any electronic aids i drive safely enough in my older cars that dont have any driver aids at all. i know one thing for sure if i have driver aids i know i will be using them. For people that dont think the electrics work ask the drift guys or try getting sideways yourself. Its a hell of alot easier with the electrics off.

Well, there is a lot of snow here in Lithuania today. I will probably be able to test a TRC with A/T and see, if it kills the engine or not. Of course, driving M/T, lots of responsibility falls on the shoulders of the driver, but, I suppose, A/T should not stall in any circumstances.

Never had it stall on mine and mines a manual perhaps its only the autos that it stalls on?

I also would say the traction control is ok, dont get me wrong its not the best as its an on off system it would be much better if it detected how much slip there was and varied itself however ive never had the cant continue forward due the the trc kicking in like some oof you guys have had. It slows the acceleration down and annoys you with a flashing light but thats about it

Hi guys,

Heres a really stupid question but im still an IS200 newbie so forgive me.

When the light is on the TRC button and it comes up on the dash does that mean the traction control is on or off??

I only ask this cos the heated seats have to be switched on and the lights then come on.

Cheers guys.

My lexus couldn't even leave the spot i was parked in! Wheels just kept spinning and going nowhere with the sliding warning light on. Other cars left with no problems. This happened to me twice and the road wasn't even sloped, it was on a flat plain, the only curved was towards the edge of the pathments, where it would curved down a bit. Absolutely useless, tried moving in second, third, TRC off, snow on etc etc. In the end, i had to buy 3 bags of table salt to melt the snow and ice to get it to drive away (no road salt left anywhere as it was all sold out)!

It's almost embrassing, even on the road, i was driving at 10-15mph at most and cars were lined up behind me and whenever i tired going a bit faster i could feel it drift sideways. Other people even over took me. Maybe it's the type of tyres i had on, they're not worn, they have at least 5mm tread but ***** im dreading driving the lex when the conditions are like this compared to other cars i've driven before.

p.s i've got goodyear F1 eagles all round, inflated to 35psi and been WIM'ed.

snow/ice resulting from the compacted wet snow u have in th UK and your SUMMER tyres with no weight over the drive wheels means you will have no grip. normal tyres go hard below 7C and you loose the grip.

only safeway to be driving the IS is with a set ot winter tyres, if you dont want a set of dedicated winter tyres ten go for all season as they are a comprimise between both.

remember winter tyres are not pure snow tyres... they are tyres made for the cold also!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links