Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Best Oil For Is200 Sport

IZZZY

n lexus is200 is NOT a 2 cycle or aviation engine??? can sum1 help .. i reali lackd knowledgeee.. as m looking at certain oils

10w-40 semi and 5w-30 fully sythetic oils are both fine to use on the IS200- choice is yours.

Don't mean to be funny mate, but is english not your first language? Can't make any sense of the txt talk above. 2 cycle or aviation engine- what are you going on about???

n lexus is200 is NOT a 2 cycle or aviation engine??? can sum1 help .. i reali lackd knowledgeee.. as m looking at certain oils

10w-40 semi and 5w-30 fully sythetic oils are both fine to use on the IS200- choice is yours.

Don't mean to be funny mate, but is english not your first language? Can't make any sense of the txt talk above. 2 cycle or aviation engine- what are you going on about???

loool ok... 1st of all thanks 4 ur advice.. il propli tak 10w-40 Mobil 1 as its cheaper..

and the point i was making is that.. i was looking at this mobil1 oil and its specification ... n on thr it said it is not recommened for 2 cycle or aviation engine?? :S so i was wondering if it applys to the lexus??? :S:S i didnt get myself whn i read tht... n i apologise 4 dat previous comment lol =]

Good choice you wont regret it!

Mineral oil is not semi synthetic it is what I like to call standard oil.

I am not too keen on engine flush and would not reccommend it, i guess it depends how your engine has been maintained in the past. A regular oil and filter change is good enough in my opinion.

the

Oh and dont forget to change sump washer gasket.

Let us know how you get on...

All semi synthetic oils are mineral based as are all of the cheaper synthetics and many of the better ones actually have a proportion that is mineral based. There is a process called hydrocracking that refines and modifies mineral oil and after a court case a few years ago, the hydrocracked oils were able to be legally sold as synthetic. In semi-synthetics, the 'synthetic' part is always hydrocracked oil. Cheaper 'synthetic' oils are always made of hydrocracked oil to save on costs, although combining hydrocracked oil with a true PAO or ester synthetic, you can make a very stable top quality oil.

Engine flushes are not a good idea. Harmless deposits build up in an engine over time and removing them is often far more hassle than it's worth. Flushes will remove some of them, but other bits will just be loosened. You then put the fresh oil in the engine and drive it for a bit, the loose deposits can break free and you end up with hard bits in the oil. Not good. A better way to do it is to drop out the old oil, put in some really basic mineral oil, run it for 15 minutes, remove the mineral oil and put in the fresh oil and filter.

Good choice you wont regret it!

Mineral oil is not semi synthetic it is what I like to call standard oil.

I am not too keen on engine flush and would not reccommend it, i guess it depends how your engine has been maintained in the past. A regular oil and filter change is good enough in my opinion.

the

Oh and dont forget to change sump washer gasket.

Let us know how you get on...

All semi synthetic oils are mineral based as are all of the cheaper synthetics and many of the better ones actually have a proportion that is mineral based. There is a process called hydrocracking that refines and modifies mineral oil and after a court case a few years ago, the hydrocracked oils were able to be legally sold as synthetic. In semi-synthetics, the 'synthetic' part is always hydrocracked oil. Cheaper 'synthetic' oils are always made of hydrocracked oil to save on costs, although combining hydrocracked oil with a true PAO or ester synthetic, you can make a very stable top quality oil.

Engine flushes are not a good idea. Harmless deposits build up in an engine over time and removing them is often far more hassle than it's worth. Flushes will remove some of them, but other bits will just be loosened. You then put the fresh oil in the engine and drive it for a bit, the loose deposits can break free and you end up with hard bits in the oil. Not good. A better way to do it is to drop out the old oil, put in some really basic mineral oil, run it for 15 minutes, remove the mineral oil and put in the fresh oil and filter.

thanks mate

what really basic mineral oil would you advise to get form your site.. something cheap to do the trick.

ta

thanks mate

what really basic mineral oil would you advise to get form your site.. something cheap to do the trick.

ta

The problem with the ones we have is, we don't have a real cheap bog standard one. There are these ones

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-849-silkolene-...s-and-vans.aspx

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-749-castrol-gt...-acea-a3b3.aspx

But they aren't particularily cheap, like Tesco value or something. As it's just for flushing the engine out, it doesn't need to be a very good oil at all

hi guys,

i plan to move from 10w40 semi synthetic to 5w30 Fully synthetic (silkoline pro)

I will not be using a flush but rather using some cheap oil (thanks Guy) to run through the engine for 10 mins and then fill with the good stuff..

my question is the cheap oil that i want to rinse through the engine, does this have to be same as the old oil (10w40 semi syn) or the new oil (5w30 fully synthetic) ??

my guess would be the same as the old grade yes? so some cheap 10w40 semi stuff?

would appreciate if anyone can clarify - thanks in advance.

hi guys,

i plan to move from 10w40 semi synthetic to 5w30 Fully synthetic (silkoline pro)

I will not be using a flush but rather using some cheap oil (thanks Guy) to run through the engine for 10 mins and then fill with the good stuff..

my question is the cheap oil that i want to rinse through the engine, does this have to be same as the old oil (10w40 semi syn) or the new oil (5w30 fully synthetic) ??

my guess would be the same as the old grade yes? so some cheap 10w40 semi stuff?

I think some cheap supermarket brand 10w-40 might be ok to flush the engine with? I'd wait for a reply from the oilman before following my advice.

hi guys,

I think some cheap supermarket brand 10w-40 might be ok to flush the engine with? I'd wait for a reply from the oilman before following my advice.

oilman .....where are you!?!?!??!! :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting thread. On the Castrol Edge website there is a facility: "Find the Right Oil for Your Car" - just enter your reg no and click GO.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/castrolhome...categoryId=3205

The recommended Castrol Edge for the IS200 is 0W-30, and not 5W-30 as I mostly see here? However, I don't know what climate temperature range this is based on, but this recommendation comes from the Castrol UK/Ireland site. Any thoughts...........

An interesting thread. On the Castrol Edge website there is a facility: "Find the Right Oil for Your Car" - just enter your reg no and click GO.

The recommended Castrol Edge for the IS200 is 0W-30, and not 5W-30 as I mostly see here? However, I don't know what climate temperature range this is based on, but this recommendation comes from the Castrol UK/Ireland site. Any thoughts...........

Look in the owners handbook, you can use a range of oils (5w-30, 10w-40, fully-synthetic, semi-synthetic etc)

**OILMAN**

Just used the "Service Pack Recommender" feature on your site.....none of the oils in discussion on this thread feature??

Is that coz we are all talking about upgrade/performance oils on here? Will I be ok with your 'Motul' (LEXUC7C) recommendation service pack for my IS200?

Is it worth me paying the extra £10 for the Silkolene Pro S stuff???

I mainly make short trips around town with one or two bursts round the M25 each month??

Cheers - making a purchase this week :-)

Look in the owners handbook, you can use a range of oils (5w-30, 10w-40, fully-synthetic, semi-synthetic etc)

Thanks Kam05. Yes, I did read this spec from the Owner's Handbook. But in terms of the Castrol Edge oils Castrol advise the use of 0W-30 for the IS200. I think I read somewhere that going to fully synthetic can mean a slight change in the grade - I wonder if this might be the reason. If I were to use Castrol Edge, any comments on using 0W-30, as advised by Castrol, rather than, say 5W-30?

**OILMAN**

Just used the "Service Pack Recommender" feature on your site.....none of the oils in discussion on this thread feature??

Is that coz we are all talking about upgrade/performance oils on here? Will I be ok with your 'Motul' (LEXUC7C) recommendation service pack for my IS200?

Is it worth me paying the extra £10 for the Silkolene Pro S stuff???

I mainly make short trips around town with one or two bursts round the M25 each month??

Cheers - making a purchase this week :-)

Yes many of the oils discussed in this thread are upgrade oils, the Motul in the service pack will be just fine for your use.

Cheers

Guy