Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had a set of winter tyres fitted to my GS430 on Wednesday morning - I bought them online and had them delivered to a local tyre shop. The bloke in the tyre shop said all his usual suppliers had competely sold out of winter tyres (mine were shipped from Germany).

The difference is just amazing. I really struggled driving to the tyre place, as we had another 1.5 inches of snow that morning, and it was horrendous just getting up a small hill on the entrance to the trading estate. But driving out again was just so easy in comparison!!

It now steers, stops, and goes up hill. It's still slippy and the Snow/TRC stuff still kicks in, but it does move where before it just spun and slid.

• Like 1

I have mainly used wife's car which is great in snow/ice. No real problems in my GS 430 though. Pulling away in the ice and snow, even fresh snow over ice has been ok too. I just put snowmode on and put it in "D" and let it start moving without touching the accelerator. Very gentle on throttle and brakes and no problems........although Coventry hasn't been as hard hit as a lot of the UK.

When googling lexus and snow I found a thread in the IS forum. Several things of interest. One is the recommendation to put four bags of sand in the boot. I did this and it was the best £5 I have spent for a while. Now I do not go sideways when braking and can easily get up the slopes that I could not before. Having a full load of fuel helps too. Very cheap. Very effective

Remember to flick out of drive when braking. Otherwise the anti-lock braking is not as good

Finally, I am going to invest in SnowSox when they are back in stock

More snow maybe next week, so not taken the sand out the boot just yet

Hope this helps

TudorDriver

• 2 years later...

this is the first winter i have had with my lexus gs300. never driven RWD before. I used to drive mazda 6 last year in snow no probs at all.on friday tried to get car out from car park whre a few cm of snow collected, could not get it to move forward just kept spinning this was with 40kg weight in trunk, tried snow mode to no avail had to leave car in secure car park and wait till snow melts. Tried snow socks but impossible to get on to my 235 45 r17, Also with snow socks you have to take them off as soons as you get on to treated roads otherwise it damages the sock, so its a bit pointless. now thinking about investing in a good quality set of snow tyres at 400 - 600 pounds plus changing them over in spring at £5 at tyre got to be worth it. any one got any advice. do snow tyres really work, help help !! i love my car but frustrated that i am without a car for weekend and frightened at the thought of driving it on summer wheels and it getting out of control

Where are you getting tyres changed at £5 a wheel? That's crazy; a local garage to me quoted £92 to change over 4 tyres! Cheapest I could get anywhere was £50 (for 4) so long as I didn't have new valves fitted.

Personally, I went for a second set of wheels, and got a tatty set to run during winter. Means I don't have to take the car plus 4 tyres anywhere to have them changed over, and saves an additional cost of £100 a year (two changes @ £50 a time) - I just go outside on a dry day, jack the car up and swap wheels over. Done, clean and tidy, and fast

Had an new2004 IS ...not too bad had an IS250SE AUTO not good ..had a GS450H not good either ....had to leave it at home in 2010.....now have a subaru forester with winter tyres ...superb!!!!!also CRV EX bloody good if not up to the scoobie .......Glad Lexus made the new generation so UGLY!!! I dont miss them!!!