Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Do You Not Like About Your Is200?

IZZZY

The fact it doesn't have a blue and white roundel on the front ;)

Seriously though:

more power and torque

better sense of connection and involvement in driving - feels too clinical and detached

split folding rear seats (ski chute? How many people here actually ski?)

VVT that actually makes a difference (even mid 90's BMW's had more oomph from the primitive VANOS unit)

Service indicator (thought the Japs would have this given their love of tech)

Chain instead of a timing belt - far less likely to fail

Steering wheel reach adjustment, still can't get comfortable

Cupholders that aren't in the way of a gearshift when in use

Plus points are:

fantastic heating system

Good build quality

Image - you get let out of juntions a lot more in a Lexus.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More power (preferably a turbo or two)

More MPG (my old twin turbo Legacy gave better returns than this and that was 280bhp!!)

Rear wiper

All Wheel Drive (Cause the traction control and snow modes are just useless)

HIDs as standard

Better quality stereo (speakers are ace but Fuji headunit is crap)

Other than those I love my Lexus although I still feel that in this weather it's gonna kill me!

Nothing to add, but agree with most other comments

Cruise, Steering wheel controls for a much better stereo!!!!!, armrest & the option to map ecu!!!!!!!

And i cant think off hand of another car maker who produced a car for 7 years and only offered 1 engine to the range?????

And i cant think off hand of another car maker who produced a car for 7 years and only offered 1 engine to the range?????

That's not really true- the 1st gen IS got 2.0 litre and 3.0 litre engines. You see more IS200's and not many IS300's.

That's not really true- the 1st gen IS got 2.0 litre and 3.0 litre engines. You see more IS200's and not many IS300's.

Yeah, right enough, forgetting the 300,

power really is all but then alot of whats been complained about came on the later 200's full leather, armrests etc ive already got as standard.

cruise control well you could have bought the auto, there wernt many manual cars with cruise control 10 years ago.

hid's well thats a cheap easy fix

nothing else other than power that I can think of

Semi-Auto Gear Box

More power

Better MPG

Less Emissions (233g/km is ridiculous and pushes it into the higher tax band)

VVTI lower down in the rev range and that actually feels like something that has changed

Higher Rev limit. (VVTI then red line :()

Arm Rest

Cruise Control

Dual Climate Control

The ability to add a tow bar legitimately

Better Paint to stop stone chips

the thing i like about my lex is i havn't been pulled over by the police every month when driving around in the morning (about 3ish) at the end of my shift lol

as for putting in extras like hid's arm rests to me thats part of the fun and the power i must be lucky i know its not a ferrari on 0 to 60 but i does it about 8.5 secs not bad for size and weight of a whale and i get a boost of power that you can feel at about 3200 rpm when dropped into 4th or 3rd when over taking quickly (mine is manual not auto which could be gear ratios poss) .

the only bad point i think is cost of some parts even when you use gold mebership card

The only thing that i dont like is the lack of power, so in the summer iam selling mine for a car with more power, i want another 7sec or under car.

If the lex had better power i think i would have it for life.

I have mine for about three weeks now, done about 1000Miles (beeing 1600km's overhere) on it, and I also have some issues that I would've liked otherwise:

- MPG, or litres per 100km's. I get around 10L/100Km, and that's not what I'd call economic.

Than again, I knew it before I bought it.

- Very, and I mean really, short gear ratios! Really, it's almost rudicilous how fast you have to shift gears, the fact that it's a 6-speed doesn't really help a bit. I often just pull away from trafficlights in second gear, and when I'm cruising I mostly go from second to fourth, and skipping fifth when entering the motorway. They should've used the gear ratio of a normal five speed gearbox, and added a sixth, overdrive, gear in it. Now you're driving at 140Km/hour, and reving up to 4000Rpm, just plain stupid.

- Since I have a manual, I don't have a cruise control. Lexus apparently thought that placing a CC on a manual transmission was to difficult, or to dangerous, don't know which one to choose from.

Strange, seeing my GF's BMW is a manual, and has CC, on the steeringwheel.

- The steering is hyper sensitive, just sneezing causes the Lex to swirve of it's line, could've been better.

Than there are the things I can change, like lack of an armrest and not beeing able to play MP3's on the original radio, these things will be fitted, altered or changed, according to what I want.

The other things, I can't do didly about them, and that bothers me somewhat.

Grtz, Philip!

- The steering is hyper sensitive, just sneezing causes the Lex to swirve of it's line, could've been better.

How worn are your tyres? Mine was terrible for tramlining (following lines in the road), and was very nervous with the steering wheel, until I put new tyres on. After that it just behaved itself like any other car...

I think it starts to kick in at about 4200Rpm. Can't be sure though, with this weather, I often go over 4000Rpm :blush:

Grtz, Philip!

vvti doesnt kick in its constant, v-tec kicks in as is like the honda's. What you feel at 4k is a sudden burst of torque is what is known as a power band and thats when it starts.

Variable Valve Timing just adjusts when and for how long the valves stay open for depending on revs, gear, throttle positon and ecu management variables such as snow mode. Performance aside it was designed to improve engine efficiency.

How worn are your tyres? Mine was terrible for tramlining (following lines in the road), and was very nervous with the steering wheel, until I put new tyres on. After that it just behaved itself like any other car...

Tyres are brandnew, just had winterDunlops fitted about 1000km ago, the Lex was really sensitive with the summerB'stones aswel.

I'm guessing it's just the overpowered powersteering, and the ratio of the steering system. It's nothing alarming though, just need to get used to it :winky:

Grtz, Philip!

the BMW 3 series would pretty much remedy most of these complaints...

i don't have an IS200, i have an RS200z, and the biggest thing i don't like about it:

people confuse it for an IS200.

• 2 weeks later...