Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

*************snow*****************

i'm not scared of driving in the snow .... just of eveyone else driving in the snow around me. so just drive slow and safe as you can cuz for some people this will be there first time driving in snow and for some that dont care if they wreck there car but most of all especially where i live the old blind person, that cant see over the stearing wheel,

so just hope everyone on here keeps safe and damage free

What are the main problems you are having with the snow and IS there? With decent winter tyres it handles the snow just fine.

That's the problem- most UK IS200's have wide summer tyres which are useless in the snow.

My boot is loaded with 5 sandbags and a shovel (I have dropped the rear tyre pressures), still doesn't make a difference- I get stuck.

I meant to be driving from Basingstoke to Peterborough at 6am tomorrow, anyone in the Peterborough area with an update on the snow there?

erm......Do you want to borrow a 4x4 Hilux

Yeah, that would definately help.

Needless to say, after lots of snow since 5pm last night in Basingstoke, I don't care what Peterborough is like as I'm not going anywhere.

well i left work at 4.30 today. walked in the front door at 8.10. normally takes me 20mins to get to work. gutted. would of been another 2 hours if i had sat in the big long queue of traffic. instead i overtook the whole queue. probably a mile queue. there was only a couple of cars coming the other way. lol. i did feel bad but i wasnt prepared to sit and wait for all these other people mincing about. the transit seems to love the snow!!

I just fitted winter tyres on the Lex, and it's a huge difference, I can really recomend this to anyone driving in wintery conditions.

My driveway is about 80m long, and as it's partly private, the city don't throw any salt on it, so it stays snowed until it melts (which isn't gonna happen right now), so I needed to do something to get to my house.

Seeing that my gf had no problems with the beemer 5 touring, I decided that it must've been the summer B'stone's that were causing me to not beeing able to move in any direction (exept sideways, which isn't always funny).

Bought some Dunlops winter sport M3 on steel rims, and I drive around like there is no snow, the tyres just react as it should, cornering, acclerating and braking.

The GS, he's not moving in ths weather. (The GS beeing a german bike :winky: )

Grtz, Philip!

I know what you all mean - I've had more slips in the is200 manual (with traction / snow buttons etc) than in the BMW325i coupe auto I had previously. Do the others here feel more like they sit 'on' the Lexus rather than being a real part of the car?

Also, as posted previously by somebody on the forum, you might try to lower the pressure in back tyres - that should provide a bit better grip too.

Thanks, doing some reading up on the forum and the must-dos seem to be

1. Put some heavy weight in the boot (e.g. bags of sand)

2. Lower rear tyre pressures

Also read:

- turn off traction control - not sure how this would help

- use snow button - although it's debatable how useful this is

Been driving with traction control on for a week, partners got sick of the car fish-tailing when cars are next to him so decided to turn it off as his BMW doesnt have traction control. Found that the IS 200 handles loads better - rather than one wheel spinning and making the car fishtail the wheels still spin but keeps the car in a straight line.