Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes And/or Suspension I Wonder ?

ultimatequinoxe

Went in a semi long run, and started getting problems ( more ! - yep I bought a lemon of the worst example of a lexus going but I am dependant on it with no other options at the moment ).

Braking from speed, seems to pull to the left sort of and feels like its the passenger side ( which feels a little like that front corner is dipping down a bit ) and I'm getting what feels like a warped disc wobbling, but its not been like that before, its come on fairly suddenly. SO having just replaced the track rod ends on the front, and having found it did improve things a bit, I am now leaning towards the idea of upper wishbone ( as in, bushes and ball joint ) as I also hear a deep creaking sometimes at lower speeds on bigger bumps etc.

My rear bushes ( i'm told, but they look ok to me, but I'm no expert ) are shot as well and rear tracking is not possible due to the adjusters being seized etc

If I could pick up a decent LS400 ( or even something else Lexus maybe ) then I could just break this LS400 as the MOT is due the end of the month and I see lots of little annoying problems coming up on it that I can't be bothered with. But I still need a reliable car to get around with, and I can't afford to shell out until I sell my other car and do something with this LS400.

Thanks for any tips or points or idea's. I see wishbones for about £100 a pair that will do the job for the short term at least, so if it is that which is most likely causing the above, then its not so bad I guess. :crybaby:

Thanks for the pointers ! The rear calipers were partially seized so I should think the fronts are not sliding properly. So I had it in mind to get the wheels off on Friday and see whats got play in it bush-wise and try and free up the calipers a bit if needed. But I shall make a point of checking the drop links too, thats just the kind of info I need, thanks a lot !

Hi, all points to upper wishbone, had the same problem on mine after a long run feels a bit like a warped disc under medium brakeing & a creaking going over speed humps, I replaced mine & all is fine now ( AtoZ or AandZ spares eBay £120 the pair) the bushes looked fine when I took the old ones off, must just get weak when warm after a long run, I would say its still safe to use it & do it later when the weather gets better.

Thanks once again ManicMark !

It is better with the track rod ends done, as ( you may recall ) I was braking and weaving all over the place, but now its a bit more controllable. The creaking does seem to come on slow speed humps and bumps ( not many speed bumps round here, but lots of tractor created pot holes ).

I will look to replace the upper wishbones soon anyway for the sake of it. But the rear bush issues still trouble me most as MOT is due the end of the month. To add to not having the master key for remote locking and absolutely NO available help on fitting an after market head unit into the factory 'no-hope' loom I am feeling the stress increase and need for another cheap Lexus I think, and scrap this one - but I need it every day ! *sigh* :crybaby:

Thanks again, really is a big help !

Oh PS) Exhaust gaskets, nightmare ! Contacted Lexus HQ, said try nearest toyota parts dealer ( 20 miles away ) they said absolutely not, we can't get Lexus parts for you. So went to Leicester ( 70 miles away ) and they shut 15 mins early for no reason. So called up later and ordered 2 gaskets " we will call you when they come in ", 3 weeks pass and nothing. So I drive up again, explain, they shrug their shoulders " you want us to order them for you ?", why certainly I would - had them posted to me finally, but I don't think I'd be to confident in buying a new lexus if after sales service is that bad. Anyway, moan over - just put this up for anyone searching LS400 exhaust manifold to cat gaskets ( cost £11 in total to have two posted to me ).

I've had no problems with lexus in Leicester which I've used quite a few times over the phone and also Lexus Derby when buying parts from them off eBay, All been OK and the right part.

With your car there's so many things that can be wrong at the front.

Firstly does the car pull a direct left or right while drving in a striaght line? Try tracking if that doesn't work the swap the front tyres around left to roght and right to left etc. See if that makes the car go the other way. Also wobble on breaking can also be a buckle in the alloy. You can also swap the front tyres with the back and see if that improves the car. At least then you know the ones that went to the back have the problem somewhere.

As for the creaking while sitting in the car turn the steering wheel left and right and have someone to look at the upper arm ball joint to see if it's moving with the wheel. This nut should not move at all, If so just tighten the nut. These will then stop the creaking while going over bumps. It has a looking pin below it and I think it's a 19mm nut or 21mm.

As for the rear you can get some trailing arm bushes from pri racing. Do both side front and back.

Hello,

Well upon inspection, the front seems to be tight enough ( though I'm not an MOT tester ) but there is no play in any bushes at the front with a crow bar under them, and just minimal flex. I cleaned up the front calipers a bit too, but no obvious problems there either.

I had it in mind to swap the tyres around as I had thicker M&S on the front and more worn ( and cheaper quality ) M&S on the back. To my not-so surprise the garage I had fit my new tyres a while back put one on the back round the wrong way, so I can add that to the fact they should have done the tracking yet my steering wheel is still 5 degrees to the right from centre.

Anyway, new trackrod ends on the front, all else so far seems OK. Tyres now matched up and all rotating the right way.

BUT, inspection of the rear however was not so good, lower arms on both sides, certainly the arm going along the car rather than into it from the hub is very loose both ends ( don't think the bushes are there anymore basically ), and the arm ( with the drop links ) going from the hub back towards the diff has the usual bush gone on the hub end.

So theory is that the back end is so bad, that upon mild braking all is OK, but certainly under heavy braking from say 30mph plus ( mild braking is ok ) you get the weight shift/transfer, and because the back is snaking a bit, I think its making the front feel uneasy.

Either way, the rear bushes need doing for the MOT, so I'm on the look out for the arms with the bushes in them as I don't have anything for pressing bushes out, and I have yet to find any even half decent garage in this hell hole of a place to live. I only have 3 weeks for the MOT anyway.

The only alternative is another car, because this LS400 cost me £600, and if I add whatever for the arms/bushes, then the MOT ( £40 ) on top, I'm part way to buying another car again - is it worth it I wonder ?

post-31693-1263214858.jpg

Any local garage can do the rear bushes as very easy and it's quite hard to mess that up.

if you haven't got a press then some heat from a welder will loosen the bush and then while still hot hit out. A socket on a bar does the trick, Just make sure the socket is slightly smaller than the hole.

Bushes as mentioned before can be bought from PRI racing, Straight fit and easy to put in. It will take you about an hour to get the old ones out and about 2mins to get he new ones in.

Also if you've got some squeak or creak while gooing over speed humps just spray soem wd40 etc around the rubber at the top of the suspension. Do it from under the bonnet so the oil soaks into the rubber, As sometimes the dry rubber squeaks while going over speed humps. If that cures it then you have to remover the suspension and greese up the top rubber for a longer cure.

PS there tidy garages everywhere just got to know who they are. Were are one, But too far for you in Swansea.

The rear trailing arm is what you're pointing at. Easy fix. jack car up and get the bar off. From there on it's press or heat and hammer. Make sure you've got the new bushes ready to go in.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links