Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caught Speeding

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not)

I don't. It is an add campaign designed to shock people into paying attention. Which is fair enough. But you can dice and slice the figures in anyway you wish to back up almost anything, which they have. In a similar vein, I could be struck by a car at 30mph and survive, I could walk into a lamp post at 2 to 3 mph and hit my head in just the wrong place, and die.

For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

It is not the same. You can end up doing 35 or even 40 in a 30 just because you are going down an incline. We all know how easy that is to do. Anyone doing 60 in a 30 is absolutely without a doubt making an effert to break the speed limit. It was a predetermined act to do it.

Sorry don't agree speeding is speeding thats what we have the speedo for ,if you are on an incline which does start to increase your speed (fair point)then thats what the brake pedal is for obviously if you are paying due care and attention that is.

Read again. I'm not saying speeding isn't speeding. 40 in a 30 is speeding. You are telling people to cut him some slack as doing 200 mph through a 30 is no different to doing 31. I am saying it is not the same as the intent to do 31 is not the same as doing 200. We all know what the speedo is for, but I personally dont spend all of my time looking at it, otherwise I would not even make it off my drive before hitting something. Hence why a drift over, whilst still speeding, is forgivable to a certain extent. Even a glance every 10 seconds going down a hill would see you build enough speed to go over (at which point you would brake or change up a gear. See what I mean? You just wouldn't drift to 60mph, you would purposely be doing it. Now whilst this scenario is not the same as it was for the OP, he knew the limit where he was, he knew it was a built up area, and here is the daft bit, he knew they did speed traps there..... D'oh. And then to make a conscious decision to continue at over 60 (which his speedo would've been telling him if he was clocked at 58) rather than slow down, deserves no slack cutting IMO :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so you want to admit it thats very noble of you to do so,but depending on your speed will reflect on your punnishment.so you can admit to it but ask for the callibration sheet because if its not done you will get away with it because they wont get the correct speed if its not done.ive been pulled over saying i was doing 40 in a 30 but i know for a fact i was doing 35 asked to see the callabration sheet on the side of the road and they hadnt done it and game me a slap on the rist and drove away

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not)

I don't. It is an add campaign designed to shock people into paying attention. Which is fair enough. But you can dice and slice the figures in anyway you wish to back up almost anything, which they have. In a similar vein, I could be struck by a car at 30mph and survive, I could walk into a lamp post at 2 to 3 mph and hit my head in just the wrong place, and die.

For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

It is not the same. You can end up doing 35 or even 40 in a 30 just because you are going down an incline. We all know how easy that is to do. Anyone doing 60 in a 30 is absolutely without a doubt making an effert to break the speed limit. It was a predetermined act to do it.

Sorry don't agree speeding is speeding thats what we have the speedo for ,if you are on an incline which does start to increase your speed (fair point)then thats what the brake pedal is for obviously if you are paying due care and attention that is.

Read again. I'm not saying speeding isn't speeding. 40 in a 30 is speeding. You are telling people to cut him some slack as doing 200 mph through a 30 is no different to doing 31. I am saying it is not the same as the intent to do 31 is not the same as doing 200. We all know what the speedo is for, but I personally dont spend all of my time looking at it, otherwise I would not even make it off my drive before hitting something. Hence why a drift over, whilst still speeding, is forgivable to a certain extent. Even a glance every 10 seconds going down a hill would see you build enough speed to go over (at which point you would brake or change up a gear. See what I mean? You just wouldn't drift to 60mph, you would purposely be doing it. Now whilst this scenario is not the same as it was for the OP, he knew the limit where he was, he knew it was a built up area, and here is the daft bit, he knew they did speed traps there..... D'oh. And then to make a conscious decision to continue at over 60 (which his speedo would've been telling him if he was clocked at 58) rather than slow down, deserves no slack cutting IMO :)

I have read what you wrote and basically your saying that if you creep over the speed limit than thats ok because its an accident it wasn't intended so all is well ,well try that on with the police if you ever get caught see what they have to say .Because again be it be 35 or 58 your still speeding and whether it be a slight indiscretion or as you have said a conscious decision ,in the eyes of the police or the person you hit you would still be in the wrong.

I feel you are being a bit pedantic to say that i am TELLING poeple as you have said that there is no difference between someone doing 200mph or 30 of course there is , we all know that his punishment would be no more than either you or I would get for doing 35-40(as you stated) in the same circumstances

Sorry but what's your problem - you were doing nearly TWICE the speed limit on a road that you knew had a 30 zone and you got caught.

In my view doing 58 in a 30 zone is reckless if not dangerous driving - you said there are houses hence the 30 speed limit. Why did you feel it necessary to do such a high speed in what seems to be a built up area? Just accept that this time you got caught and accept the punishment. Perhaps you will learn a lesson from this, ie keep within the speed limits and you've nothing to worry about. Simples

Yeah and of course you and the rest here that are having a go him have never sped in the whole your driving lifes. We all do it and have done it somewhere in the past , so everyone get of your high horses.

Exactly what i was thinking.

I know I'm guilty just wanted some advice on what I should expect as punishment and is there anything i can do.

yes of course i have, but you have been caught so why try and get of it...

spoke to a police mate and he said it all depends on

1. if have been done before. ie points ban the like

2. if u ask for a calibration sheet the police officers who did u have to satnd up and say yes they are trained yes we thought he was speeding and if there switched on the calibration will show it

3. this can lead to a bigger fine as they think you may be trying to get out of it

so like i said before speak to someone in the no

I have read what you wrote and basically your saying that if you creep over the speed limit than thats ok because its an accident it wasn't intended so all is well

No I'm not, I'm saying you can drift over as a genuine mistake, i.e. as you put it, you would apply your brakes. Well, unless you had sped up, why would you apply your brakes? So genuinely, without any will to speed, you can drift over. You can't drift over by over double as a mistke, it would be on purpose. Either way, it is still speeding.

well try that on with the police if you ever get caught see what they have to say .

I wouldn't be trying anything on with the police. I would've been caught for speeding, take the points, pay the fine, end of.

I feel you are being a bit pedantic to say that i am TELLING poeple as you have said that there is no difference between someone doing 200mph or 30 of course there is

How am I being pedantic? you said 35 is no better than 58, it is. for the exact reasons I stated above. Next time you see someone whizzing past your house at 60mph when your kids are outside on the pavement, come back and tell me it is the same.

we all know that his punishment would be no more than either you or I would get for doing 35-40(as you stated) in the same circumstances

Who, the OP, or someone doing 200 and me doing 35? If you mean the OP, he is a gnats knacker away from an automatic ban. Infact, as far as the OP goes, he would've been over the threshold of an automatic ban at the time, as his speedo would've been indicating to him that he was in excess of 60. At 35mph, you or I wouldn't be anywhere near that penalty (not withstanding other points on the license of course). However, we would still be speeding.

I have read what you wrote and basically your saying that if you creep over the speed limit than thats ok because its an accident it wasn't intended so all is well

No I'm not, I'm saying you can drift over as a genuine mistake, i.e. as you put it, you would apply your brakes. Well, unless you had sped up, why would you apply your brakes? So genuinely, without any will to speed, you can drift over. You can't drift over by over double as a mistke, it would be on purpose. Either way, it is still speeding.

well try that on with the police if you ever get caught see what they have to say .

I wouldn't be trying anything on with the police. I would've been caught for speeding, take the points, pay the fine, end of.

I feel you are being a bit pedantic to say that i am TELLING poeple as you have said that there is no difference between someone doing 200mph or 30 of course there is

How am I being pedantic? you said 35 is no better than 58, it is. for the exact reasons I stated above. Next time you see someone whizzing past your house at 60mph when your kids are outside on the pavement, come back and tell me it is the same.

we all know that his punishment would be no more than either you or I would get for doing 35-40(as you stated) in the same circumstances

Who, the OP, or someone doing 200 and me doing 35? If you mean the OP, he is a gnats knacker away from an automatic ban. Infact, as far as the OP goes, he would've been over the threshold of an automatic ban at the time, as his speedo would've been indicating to him that he was in excess of 60. At 35mph, you or I wouldn't be anywhere near that penalty (not withstanding other points on the license of course). However, we would still be speeding.

Well i can see you and I are never going to get anywhere near any sort of agreement and could probably carry on for ever which is cool thats what opinions are all about.

Hmm where do we start , I do not agree that you can just drift past 35-40 without noticing and remember you have mention 40 in a 30 zone on a couple of occasions but you do admit that you would be punished by the police for speeding, this is the reason i am saying there is very little difference the offence you have committed and punishment you would recieve would be the same .

I am not condoning this guys actions which i think you think i am doing all i was trying to say at the start of the thread is we have all sped in a 30 zone and not the 2-3 mph by accident as you keep saying and probably not 58 mph either but we have all done it .

Have you never in your driving life been in a rush to get somewhere been so pressed for time that you have had to put your foot down a bit can you hand on heart honestly say that you havent because i will be very surprised if you do .

Have you never in your driving life been in a rush to get somewhere been so pressed for time that you have had to put your foot down a bit can you hand on heart honestly say that you havent because i will be very surprised if you do .

I have not I said I have never gone over the speed limit. I have had 12 points all told over my driving life time, not all at the same time, and currently have 3. The last time was 38 in a 30. I have no excuse other than the fact that it was an industrial estate and everyone goes at that speed. Doesn't mean I tried to get out of it, I was speeding and have the points and a lower bank balance to show for it. However, I can say hand on heart that I would never have been doing 60 in a 30 in a residential built up area. Infact, I can say hand on heart I would never have done 60 in any 30 limit. Because I consider 100% over the limit to be considerably more dangerous than 30% over. But as you say, we are not going to agree.