Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Caught Speeding

Sorry but what's your problem - you were doing nearly TWICE the speed limit on a road that you knew had a 30 zone and you got caught.

In my view doing 58 in a 30 zone is reckless if not dangerous driving - you said there are houses hence the 30 speed limit. Why did you feel it necessary to do such a high speed in what seems to be a built up area? Just accept that this time you got caught and accept the punishment. Perhaps you will learn a lesson from this, ie keep within the speed limits and you've nothing to worry about. Simples

Yeah and of course you and the rest here that are having a go him have never sped in the whole your driving lifes. We all do it and have done it somewhere in the past , so everyone get of your high horses.

...and your point is?? It's not a case of 'having a go' at him - and nowhere did I say I have never broken the speed limit. It's just that the OP is trying to find a way out of facing the consequences. If I had been caught speeding the last thing I would do is broadcast it. I'd just accept it happened and get on with it.

Well my hole point is if you indeed do speed how can you even comment on someone else getting caught doing so and definately offering advice about staying within speed limits to me thats just being hypocritical.It could have easily been me you or anyone else on this forum caught doing it, I just feel its not a fair attitude to take

I was simply pointing out that if you don't want to get caught then don't speed, it's as simple as that. Call me hypocritical if you like but as I've already said I would accept the consequences of my own actions without trying to find a way out on a possible technicality.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but what's your problem - you were doing nearly TWICE the speed limit on a road that you knew had a 30 zone and you got caught.

In my view doing 58 in a 30 zone is reckless if not dangerous driving - you said there are houses hence the 30 speed limit. Why did you feel it necessary to do such a high speed in what seems to be a built up area? Just accept that this time you got caught and accept the punishment. Perhaps you will learn a lesson from this, ie keep within the speed limits and you've nothing to worry about. Simples

Yeah and of course you and the rest here that are having a go him have never sped in the whole your driving lifes. We all do it and have done it somewhere in the past , so everyone get of your high horses.

...and your point is?? It's not a case of 'having a go' at him - and nowhere did I say I have never broken the speed limit. It's just that the OP is trying to find a way out of facing the consequences. If I had been caught speeding the last thing I would do is broadcast it. I'd just accept it happened and get on with it.

Well my hole point is if you indeed do speed how can you even comment on someone else getting caught doing so and definately offering advice about staying within speed limits to me thats just being hypocritical.It could have easily been me you or anyone else on this forum caught doing it, I just feel its not a fair attitude to take

I was simply pointing out that if you don't want to get caught then don't speed, it's as simple as that. Call me hypocritical if you like but as I've already said I would accept the consequences of my own actions without trying to find a way out on a possible technicality.

With what you have there written there i would have agreed with you but its the tone that wrote your first post in and the school teacher style way you wrote it.

Normally for speeding in a 30MPH limit and being caught on a camera you would get a fixed £60.00 ( I believe it is now £75.00 including the victims of crime tax) and 3 points.

Because of the excess speed you will be appearing at court to explain the reasons behind it.

The minimum fine is £100 and the maximum £1000 ( £2500 on motorways) although these are means tested related.

I would plead guilty, appear at court in person apologise alot and grovel for the best outcome.

Had you been clocked at 60MPH in a 30MPH zone or above you would have been looking at a dangerous driving charge which carries a 1 year obligatory ban, up to a 2 year prison sentence and an unlimited fine.

With what you have there written there i would have agreed with you but its the tone that wrote your first post in and the school teacher style way you wrote it.

Perhaps my tone was a little harsh but having seen the tragic results of both speeding and drunk driving I think the red mist descended a little

Perhaps my tone was a little harsh but having seen the tragic results of both speeding and drunk driving I think the red mist descended a little

Fair point as my grandfather was knocked down and killed by a drunk driver i know where your comming from.

Now we have stop bickering i will wish you and everyone else on the forum a happy new year :D

Fair point as my grandfather was knocked down and killed by a drunk driver i know where your comming from.

Now we have stop bickering i will wish you and everyone else on the forum a happy new year :D

Same to you too

were there 30mph signs on each side of the road and were they illuminated? if not.......

"Providing the street lighting is spaced at 200 yards or less between lights then the speed limit is automatically 30mph unless the speed limit is designated at a higher limit indicated by signage"

You need to revisit the road and check the street lighting and signage.

you admit you were over the limit and i accept that but in these days of councils, police , scamera partnerships focusing on the motorist more and more , then its only fair that all rules are actually enforceable, follow my earlier suggestion and then see what feedback you get. ( you will only get factual info on pepipoo and not personal opinions)

I don't think there is anyone who will not admit to speeding

we know its wrong and therefore have to accept the consequences when caught

why is it that when caught fair and square, people try and find a way out of it ?

accept you were wrong, pay the fine, take the points and maybe slow down

I agree with everything you have written. Lets see when the next time any of us go on a motorway that the speedo needle stays dead on 70 , can anyone say that it will. :whistling:

but remember the speedo is not 100% so 70 on the clock is approx 64mph(try it with your sat nav)........i admit i speed and speed a lot approx 90 on the motorway 70-80 by-pass but a place i will never speed on is a 30 zone.

anyway good luck to you mate hope what ever happens its not too bad.

Bad luck - to all the those on their hight horses about speed being bad, take a break - you've all done it.

I was caught at about 40 in a 40 and requested the following under Freedom of Information:

photographic evidense of the (alleged) offense

Calibration records for the equipment used (check they match the equipment in use on the day)

Training records for the officer(s) in question (which had the names redacted obviously)

Make sure all this ties up as anythiong that doesn't is a potential procedural loop hole.

The whole process took about 6 months during which time the fixed penalty was placed on hold. I was hoping that in the end with so many departments involved it would just get lost and never be made live again but it was and I swallowed the £60 and 3 points. As they park in the same place regularly I know to 'salute' them as I pass now ;)

Good luck.

Remember - speed doesn't kill, its the lack of education that puts people in the wrong place at the wrong time. Bring back green cross codes and cycling proficiency training for the next generation to give them awareness of the dangers on roads so they grow up safer.

Bad luck - to all the those on their hight horses about speed being bad, take a break - you've all done it.

No one is saying they haven't. doing 40 in a 30, or 50 in a 40, is not the same as doing 60 in a 30, or 80 in a 40. Not a difficult concept to grasp surely.

No one is saying they haven't. doing 40 in a 30, or 50 in a 40, is not the same as doing 60 in a 30, or 80 in a 40. Not a difficult concept to grasp surely.

Well whether you are doing 40 in 30 or 58 in a 30 zone if you hit somone there is only a 10% difference in whether you kill them or not.

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not) a pedestrian hit at 40 mph has only has a 10% chance of surviving so obviously at 58 mph that would be 0%.For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

Whether you are doing 40 or 58 you are still in the wrong and if you hit someone you will kill them.

:whistling: bad luck to you for speeding.....got no sympathy for ya....you were nearly double the speed limit and in a 30 zone.... why not pay more attention to what you are doing..... you were lucky not to hit anyone...

just take the punishment that is coming your way...

Well whether you are doing 40 in 30 or 58 in a 30 zone if you hit somone there is only a 10% difference in whether you kill them or not.

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not) a pedestrian hit at 40 mph has a 90% chance of surviving so obviously at 58 mph that would be a 100%.For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

Whether you are doing 40 or 58 you are still in the wrong and if you hit someone you will kill them.

Not disputing that for a moment. My question is, what is the pedestrian doing in the road in the first place? The logical extension of the plan would be to reduce all traffic to talking pace thereby giving 99% chance of survival should an accident occur. There needs to be a balance between the need for mass transport and the need for people to take responsibility for themselves on the road.

Who here had road safety training as a child? I didn't because the green cross code campaign had ended by the time I was in school. I did manage to take a cycling proficiency test before they also ended which gave me some road sense. We shouldn't cater to the lowest common denominator and 'dumb down' to those who think they are immune.

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not) a pedestrian hit at 40 mph has a 90% chance of surviving so obviously at 58 mph that would be a 100%.For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

I don't think that's what you really meant to say is it?

If a pedestrian has a 90% chance of surviving being hit at 40mph then at 58mph the chances of surviving would be much less, certainly not 100%. I would imagine at 58mph it is 100% def that you wouldn't survive.

Not disputing that for a moment. My question is, what is the pedestrian doing in the road in the first place? The logical extension of the plan would be to reduce all traffic to talking pace thereby giving 99% chance of survival should an accident occur. There needs to be a balance between the need for mass transport and the need for people to take responsibility for themselves on the road.

Who here had road safety training as a child? I didn't because the green cross code campaign had ended by the time I was in school. I did manage to take a cycling proficiency test before they also ended which gave me some road sense. We shouldn't cater to the lowest common denominator and 'dumb down' to those who think they are immune.

Fair point and at the end of the day we are human beings moving around somtimes in 2 tonnes of metal and by nature we make mistakes so accidents and deaths will always happen. I do agree pedestrians and espescially children need to be taught more about road safety because at times they just seem to think that cars will bounce off of them.

I don't think that's what you really meant to say is it?

If a pedestrian has a 90% chance of surviving being hit at 40mph then at 58mph the chances of surviving would be much less, certainly not 100%. I would imagine at 58mph it is 100% def that you wouldn't survive.

Thanks m8 for pointing that out i have re-worded it now thankyou.

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not)

I don't. It is an add campaign designed to shock people into paying attention. Which is fair enough. But you can dice and slice the figures in anyway you wish to back up almost anything, which they have. In a similar vein, I could be struck by a car at 30mph and survive, I could walk into a lamp post at 2 to 3 mph and hit my head in just the wrong place, and die.

For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

It is not the same. You can end up doing 35 or even 40 in a 30 just because you are going down an incline. We all know how easy that is to do. Anyone doing 60 in a 30 is absolutely without a doubt making an effert to break the speed limit. It was a predetermined act to do it.

Police statistics state(whether you believe them or not)

I don't. It is an add campaign designed to shock people into paying attention. Which is fair enough. But you can dice and slice the figures in anyway you wish to back up almost anything, which they have. In a similar vein, I could be struck by a car at 30mph and survive, I could walk into a lamp post at 2 to 3 mph and hit my head in just the wrong place, and die.

For me its just not fair to say that 40 mph is not as bad 58 when the damage it could cause would be virtually the same.

It is not the same. You can end up doing 35 or even 40 in a 30 just because you are going down an incline. We all know how easy that is to do. Anyone doing 60 in a 30 is absolutely without a doubt making an effert to break the speed limit. It was a predetermined act to do it.

Sorry don't agree speeding is speeding thats what we have the speedo for ,if you are on an incline which does start to increase your speed (fair point)then thats what the brake pedal is for obviously if you are paying due care and attention that is.

At 30 mph in normal road conditions it will take 75 feet to stop, at 58 mph in normal road conditions it will take 315 feet to stop - over four times as far.

In ice / snow it will take up to 10 times as far.

Thats why we need to drive in to pedestrians.... To help slow us down.. :whistling:

At 30 mph in normal road conditions it will take 75 feet to stop, at 58 mph in normal road conditions it will take 315 feet to stop - over four times as far.

In ice / snow it will take up to 10 times as far.

Thats why we need to drive in to pedestrians.... To help slow us down.. :whistling:

LOL HE HE HE

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links