Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk2 Gs300 Fuel Gauge Not Working

Hi guys, can somebody help me why is the fuel gauge not working? At first, I thought that the fuel is very low but after refuelling the car, the needle just won't go up and the low fuel warning light stay on.

I just realised that the the car almost stall when I stop and the idling is very low. Could it be due to fuel pump dying?

Whish i could help mate, but I have a mk1, not a mk2.

Other than checking the fuses, it would only leave the sender and the wiring, or the dash guage itself of course. On the mk1, there is no fuse specifically for the guage, only a 7.5A "Panel" fuse that supplies the whole dash. Again, on the mk1, you can check the resistance on pins 2 and 3 of the sender unit, you should see readings of approx 3 ohms at full fuel, and 110 ohms at empty.

Whish i could help mate, but I have a mk1, not a mk2.

Other than checking the fuses, it would only leave the sender and the wiring, or the dash guage itself of course. On the mk1, there is no fuse specifically for the guage, only a 7.5A "Panel" fuse that supplies the whole dash. Again, on the mk1, you can check the resistance on pins 2 and 3 of the sender unit, you should see readings of approx 3 ohms at full fuel, and 110 ohms at empty.

Thanks for the feedback mate :) Yes, If im not mistaken, theres no fuse specifically for the gauge. Im thinking this is due to the faulty fuel pressure or the floating mechanism in the fuel tank :sad:

Maybe the diagnostics for the mk1 will help as far as resistence across the terminals of your sender. I think the sender is reasonably easy to reach from the boot behind the trim panel. Sounds like it may be stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem on our IS300.

There was actually no issue with the gauge in the tank. A low Battery charge (we mainly drive short distances with that car) turned out to be the culprit. I put the car on a charger for a night and the problem got solved.

Hi guys, can somebody help me why is the fuel gauge not working? At first, I thought that the fuel is very low but after refuelling the car, the needle just won't go up and the low fuel warning light stay on.

I just realised that the the car almost stall when I stop and the idling is very low. Could it be due to fuel pump dying?

Tap the glass, works in films!

I had this problem on our IS300.

There was actually no issue with the gauge in the tank. A low battery charge (we mainly drive short distances with that car) turned out to be the culprit. I put the car on a charger for a night and the problem got solved.

How is that possible Swede?

• 4 months later...

Hi

Did you fix problem with fuel gauge? Its seems that i have same problem. Mine at the beginning was flouting up and down, but now it stuck in down position :(

TNX

• 4 months later...

Hi

Did you fix problem with fuel gauge? Its seems that i have same problem. Mine at the beginning was flouting up and down, but now it stuck in down position :(

TNX

Hi muntisk, the fuel gauge still stuck in down position. Could probably due to faulty sender unit or the floater stuck at the bottom of the tank. Have you fix yours?

Hi

I seem to recall reading that the fuel filler cap needs to be screwed on tight, at least 3 clicks! or the car may not start.

It might be worth checking! try searching the site. Just clutching at straws.

• 3 weeks later...