Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying A High-mileage Rx400h

I'm test driving an 2006/56 RX400h-SE tomorrow at a Lexus dealer - it's got full Lexus service history (every 10,000 miles - I've seen a full printout).

The only thing making me think twice about this is that it's got just over 90,000 miles on the clock. I know the cam belt needs doing at 100k and I'm speaking to the dealer about that.

In addition the dealer has offered a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.

Does anyone know what sort of miles these hybrids are designed to do? And is there anything else I should be worrying about with a high mileage hybrid?

Cheers,

macka

I'm test driving an 2006/56 RX400h-SE tomorrow at a Lexus dealer - it's got full Lexus service history (every 10,000 miles - I've seen a full printout).

The only thing making me think twice about this is that it's got just over 90,000 miles on the clock. I know the cam belt needs doing at 100k and I'm speaking to the dealer about that.

In addition the dealer has offered a 2-year unlimited mileage warranty.

Does anyone know what sort of miles these hybrids are designed to do? And is there anything else I should be worrying about with a high mileage hybrid?

Cheers,

macka

Hi, I bought a low milage GS hybrid with 12 months Lexus warranty but because I drive about 1000 miles per week it soon becomes high mileage so at the end of the warranty I buy a service package for 50,000 per year and extented warranty total cost £2, 000 which I feel is very good value if offset against the huge depreciation it suffered in the 2 years since new. I get total peace of mind, fixed price motoring in a top spec motor without massive depreciation. My cars are not for sale before 200,000 and I have no reason to worry this hybrid will struggle with this.

Good luck with your purchase. Tony

Personally I think it is brave of you buying a car like that :)

To protect yourself, an excellent Warranty will be essential - is this RX via a Lexus Main Dealer?

If it is not a Lexus AUC then I would question the value of the warranty you are being offered - as (in my experience) most (if not all) Third Party Warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. The Lexus product on the other hand is rock solid.

Plenty of RX400h's about - are you sure you really need to buy one that has done such high mileage?

Thanks for the advice.

I agree you need to be careful with something with some many miles on!

I'm buying it from Lexus Coventry - as it's a '56 plate with excellent Lexus Centre service history, 2 years Lexus warrantly (unlimited mileage/claims) and they have agreed to do the cambelt at 100k miles I've decided to take the plunge.

Can't wait to pick it up now!

Thanks for the advice.

I agree you need to be careful with something with some many miles on!

I'm buying it from Lexus Coventry - as it's a '56 plate with excellent Lexus Centre service history, 2 years Lexus warrantly (unlimited mileage/claims) and they have agreed to do the cambelt at 100k miles I've decided to take the plunge.

Can't wait to pick it up now!

Well done !!

24 months Lexus warranty and legend build quality, no worries just enjoy.

Tony

Congrats on purchase!!

The other thing with very high mileage cars like that is they have to have done most of those miles cruising along at motorway speeds with very little wear and tear on the actual parts; quite often they are in better condition than a car with very low mileage that has done 3-4 mile stop start journeys day in day out with hardly a journey long enough to warm up the motor.

I think you will be fine with a high mileage RX, they have to be good for a lot more miles than 100k!

Also you get 5 years warranty from new on all Hybrid parts, so you still have cover for the cells. May be worth getting them checked depending on what sort of mileage the car has done, i.e. a lot of town or motorway use

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links