Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pothole Damage

billyo

Hi one and all.Was out and about night before the snow fell last week hit a pothole at about 40mph the vibration through the car was really teeth rattling.I now have noticed i have a slow puncture probably caused by the afore mentioned.If i hve damaged the alloy wheel is it repairable by one of the companies that offer wheel refurbishment service or will i have to buy new wheel(they are stock alloys)or can any of the tyre suppliers help ,any advice appreciated

if it's not to bad out of shape i would put it on the left back wheel. most rims after 6 months of use are oval in some way..... better have it on the back and when you get a new tire on it ask the guy to run just the rim on the balance machine and check how bad it is... look at it while it's spinning to see what damage you have done

May not be buckled. I had a slow puncture and the tyre fit place could not find a leak. Turned out to be minor corrosion where the tyre seals against the rim. The guy rubbed the rim and the tyre is fine. My IS200 is a 2001. Apparently it is problem with old alloys.

May not be buckled. I had a slow puncture and the tyre fit place could not find a leak. Turned out to be minor corrosion where the tyre seals against the rim. The guy rubbed the rim and the tyre is fine. My IS200 is a 2001. Apparently it is problem with old alloys.

Ah that could be possible what you say about old alloys the car is a 1999 v reg

Consider yourself lucky if it's a slow puncture mate, guess you got a new innertube in there? i did the same thing about 3 weeks ago at about 30mph, massive clunk, was one hell of a pothole. cut about an inch gash in my tyre, was flat inside of 10 minutes, i had to park up just after that pothole anyway thats when i noticed my car was lopsided :angry: . cost me a sodding new tyre which as you guys know is £200 down the pisser easily for a rear wheel. even i was lucky not to do any damage to the alloy or anything, they checked the balance when i had it replaced.

Consider yourself lucky if it's a slow puncture mate, guess you got a new innertube in there? i did the same thing about 3 weeks ago at about 30mph, massive clunk, was one hell of a pothole. cut about an inch gash in my tyre, was flat inside of 10 minutes, i had to park up just after that pothole anyway thats when i noticed my car was lopsided :angry: . cost me a sodding new tyre which as you guys know is £200 down the pisser easily for a rear wheel. even i was lucky not to do any damage to the alloy or anything, they checked the balance when i had it replaced.

Yes new tyres about 2 months ago.stange though pressures set at 35lbs after impact and when i noticed tyre going down checked on gauge and it read 25lb pumped it up.Few days later it reads 30lb that is a slow and inconsistant puncture what do you reckon weird or what.

can you not claim accidents like this from the local council? i'm pretty sure you can here in nz...

Yes you can if you take photos and measure depth /width i dont have figures to hand of what constitutes a pot hole size you can claim on.After the recent snow 20 to 30cm and now the melt because the roads here in the southeast of england are old and the local councils dont spend to much on road maintance there are stretches of road covered in holes on our local trading estate there are literally hundreds of holes teams of local council workers have started to fill them,they shovel in a mix of tarmac pat it down i guess thats all they can do but it doesnt seem very permanant in fact we had snow early 09 and what they filled the holes with then lifted again.

Hi, Sorry to hear about your problem ; same thing happened to my other car( MX5 ) cost me a new wheel & tyre also .I would advise you to have the tyre removed and checked,especially the inside as the wall damage does not always show on the out side. Check the rim for cracks and deformity ,sometimes a buckled wheel wil not balance properly. Tyre fitters will no longer fit innertubes to tubeless tyres so if the tyre fails inspection I,m afraid its a new tyre. Don't compromise safety; if the wheel is not 100% you could keep it in the boot as the spare until pay day !!! assuming your car has a full size spare.

Good luck

Dave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links