Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mild Engine Whine ( Ls400 Mk2 )

ultimatequinoxe

Just that, noticed a whine has developed. Seems to go a bit I think when warmer. Thought 1st had gone in the gear box, but then stopped, and put it in P, N etc, rev and you still hear it. Opened the bonnet - seems ( though by no means accurate, especially with the stupid exhaust blowing ) as though its coming from the dreaded belt area, possibly drivers side.

Belt was replaced at 156,000, now at just under 198,000 so its coming on due for a new belt but I'm not convinced its that yet. Wonder what else is down there, A/C pump ? Alt ? Water pump etc ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated as I am really feeling the blues over buying about the worst example of an LS400 going. If anyone has a cheap one to sell let me know, so I can strip this one for bits rather than try and get it through the MOT this month ! :whistling:

Check your PAS fluid level (black knurled lid with a little dipstick on it, on top of a silver drum, on the driver's side near the front). I bet you'll find it's off the bottom of the stick, meaning you have the dreaded PAS fluid leak (fitted as standard to all Mk2 LS400's I believe).

You can double-check without opening the bonnet by turning the steering wheel to full lock (either direction), then gently trying to turn it a bit more. If the whine gets worse, it's the PAS pump demanding a fresh supplication (i.e., oil). Mine leaks so much, I just lob garage ATF in it these days.

Thanks very much for that ! Strangely yesterday I thought, maybe I should check the PAS fluid as I remember having problems like this with previous cars ( usually french ones for some reason ), the level was down past the cold mark, so not a lot missing, but I topped it up anyway and the whining has gone ( for now ) but if it is leaking, then its yet another fault to add to the worse LS400 in existence I think :crybaby:

Thanks very much for correctly identifying the source of the noise ! :)

Leaking PAS fluid is, ISTM, the most common fault on the LS400 (Mks 1 & 2 at least). Almost every one sold on eBay mentions it. Mine had work done on it's PAS system on about 1/3rd of its dealer services, according to the receipts, including replacement of the resevoir, the pump, and various pipes. And it STILL leaks. Once I locate the leak (which first involves finding a Round Tuit), I'll try fixing it...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links