Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello to you all,

During the past few weeks I had occasion to use the snow mode (surprise, surprise). Allthough I haven't made an accurate check, it appears that I use l;ess fuel in this mode - when switching mover the read out on the fuel consumption improves ie greater mpg. I have a LS400 1998 auto'.

I assume that the engine goes to a higher gear sooner than it would normally. Has anyone else experienced this and do you think if I used the 'snow mode' all the time it would be ok - do any damage? I'd apprerciate any of your views/opinions on this. Thanks.

Hello to you all,

During the past few weeks I had occasion to use the snow mode (surprise, surprise). Allthough I haven't made an accurate check, it appears that I use l;ess fuel in this mode - when switching mover the read out on the fuel consumption improves ie greater mpg. I have a LS400 1998 auto'.

I assume that the engine goes to a higher gear sooner than it would normally. Has anyone else experienced this and do you think if I used the 'snow mode' all the time it would be ok - do any damage? I'd apprerciate any of your views/opinions on this. Thanks.

I noticed the same thing - it really holds the performance (revs) down doesn't it. Can't imagine it would do any harm - just annoy the drivers behind you. Would be interesting to see what percentage difference it makes to mpg over say a month, but unlike the other two settings, you have to remember to switch it on every time you get in.

Mike

It actually ensures you always start in second or third and avoids changing down until the very last moment. The objective is to be as smooth as possible with the power.

I did notice though that the difference between the normal and snow programme on the lexus's is much smaller than e.g the difference on a Merc.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'd always recommend good wintertyres between end October and end March. Priceless.

I sometimes use it as a "chauffeur" mode.

There's a phenomenon I first noticed when I was a teenager - when you're giving a lift to your parents, their neck muscles instantly atrophy to the point where the slightest dab on the accelerator results in their head snapping back into the headrest. Snow mode smooths out your driving to help stop this annoying practice. :)

You are accelerating and braking smoother, and going slower than normal.

So your mpg will increase as a result.

Does snow mode affect the braking? (I realise that traction control and abs will kick in a lot more if the conditions are slippy, but surely 'snow' mode doesn't affect the brakes directly does it?

Mike

I sometimes use it as a "chauffeur" mode.

There's a phenomenon I first noticed when I was a teenager - when you're giving a lift to your parents, their neck muscles instantly atrophy to the point where the slightest dab on the accelerator results in their head snapping back into the headrest. Snow mode smooths out your driving to help stop this annoying practice. :)

Yes - good point Jon. There's one thing I've never been able to cure in chaffeur mode. and that's the little jerk at the end of braking just as you roll to a final stop. Until the other day, I had assumed it was something inherent in big engined automatic cars - something to do with the torque converter disengaging right at the last. But yesterday I tried knocking it in to neutral at about 10mph and there was still the same jerk at the end as if the pads decide they will grab hard when the car is doing about 2mph.

Mike

Doesn't it also raise the ride height? I presume to clear any laying snow that might otherwise foul the bottom of the car.

perhaps - but that's no bad thing as the high ride is only effective under 25mph and my drive is a mess. I noticed today that when in snow mode the limitation on over-revving also disappears at higher speeds - in other words at motorway speeds acceleration seems normal. Again a good thing as it's round town that my mpg really suffers. So far it's looking like 10% better mpg using snow mode. I will know better after I have filled and used another tankful

Mike