Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Over Revving Issues

lex28

Car: Is200 Sport 115k

Lately since after all the dismal weather ive noticed the lady to be very sluggish and non-responsive..no power wats so ever unless im putting my foot right down..

Changing in upper gears its revs higher than it should..it this something to do with the timing belt maybe?

Also i know the lexus is a thirsty little whore, but for hardly any miles i do, 80 a week it goes through £25 of petrol!

Tyres are checked and inflated every month to 33PSI

She has her annual service and oil change.

I did notice during the bad weather slight amounts of oil on the driveway..could this be from the LSD as it got a battering during the snow.

any help or advice would be great

Paz

Car: Is200 Sport 115k

Lately since after all the dismal weather ive noticed the lady to be very sluggish and non-responsive..no power wats so ever unless im putting my foot right down..

Changing in upper gears its revs higher than it should..it this something to do with the timing belt maybe?

Also i know the lexus is a thirsty little whore, but for hardly any miles i do, 80 a week it goes through £25 of petrol!

Tyres are checked and inflated every month to 33PSI

She has her annual service and oil change.

I did notice during the bad weather slight amounts of oil on the driveway..could this be from the LSD as it got a battering during the snow.

any help or advice would be great

Paz

is it an auto? if ti is then check the tranny fluid level, if its a bit low theres your problem.

sorry forgot to add, It's a Manual

overrevving?

sluggish?

> clutch gone?

From standstill with handbrake firmly on, try to drive away in 4th or 5th gear like you wanted to sprint away in 1st.

If the car stalls (which it should), then your clutch ought to be fine.

If your car keeps running, you have found the problem: clutch worn and needs replacement.

overrevving?

sluggish?

> clutch gone?

From standstill with handbrake firmly on, try to drive away in 4th or 5th gear like you wanted to sprint away in 1st.

If your car keeps running, you have found the problem: clutch worn and needs replacement.

That should be painful to the car, shouldn't it? I have heard that it is possible to test the clutch for slipping when driving slowly (like 20km/h), shifinting into high gear and pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor. Is it logic enough to test the clutch this way? Just something, what I heard :)

Taking of slowly in the snow to prevent the wheels from spinning tend to wear down the clutch quicker. Sounds like the clutch weared out...

Yes shifting the car in to a high gear while driving slowly will also help to se if the clutch is bad. If the car get higher revs than it normaly gets while pressing the accelerator to the floor then there is a clutch related problem

• 2 weeks later...

overrevving?

sluggish?

> clutch gone?

That should be painful to the car, shouldn't it? I have heard that it is possible to test the clutch for slipping when driving slowly (like 20km/h), shifinting into high gear and pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor. Is it logic enough to test the clutch this way? Just something, what I heard :)

The idea was to swiftly attempt to drive away in a high gear with the handbrake on. You won't be able to do so, the car should immediately stall. Obviously there are better things for a car (engine in particular), but it is the best test to confirm a gone clutch even at earlier stages.

• 3 weeks later...

well ive tried most of the above and when changing gear (in most gears) it revs higher as if ive changed gear at wrong interval (if that makes sense)

it is due a service anytime now and as clutch is starting to slip slightly i may need to invest in one too..

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links