Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittiant Starting Problem

ghumra

hi guys, i wonder if you can shed some light on this for me. ive got a 2001 is200 sport. ive had it for about 7 months now, but after a month of owning it, it seems to have developed an intermittent starting problem.

it maybe happens like once in a month, or maybe once in 2 months. it happens when iv driven the car for example to work on a night shift and the car has been sitting till 7 in the morning.

when i turn the key it will crank for about 10 seconds before the engine kicks into life.

its been fully serviced 1 month ago, with 10w40 oil, but if i new the winter was this bad maybe 5w40 would have been better.lol

its had a new set of plugs, filters etc and even a new Battery. im just tottally confused. it happened it the summer time aswell with the heatwave so i cant be sure if its just the engine is cold.

can anyone shed some light on this. car has 35k on the clock only.

• 2 weeks later...

I very occasionally get something similar - though not som much when its been sat for as long. Sometimes when I reverse my car onto the drive, up a tiny slope bit, then trickle it back, cos the revs are low and am sort of throttle/clutching it back as it were, you can end up with some unburnt fuel in the cylinders which once being sat for a period of time will become "dead" fuel - meaning when you then turn it over to restart it, it will take a while to catch when fresh fuel starts to come through (sort of).

Poor explanation, but its the same reason why you shouldn't blip the throttle before turning the car off - I had heard the unburnt fuel can also damage the piston rings and possibly lining if you do this a lot.

• 1 month later...

My Is has just started doing the same thing, get to work at 8:00am, finish at 4:00pm, struggles to start for about 5-10 secs then starts. Has happened twice so far in the past 3 weeks, will be changing my sparks to Denso iridium IK20 soon to see if this resolves the issue