Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3sge Beams In Is200

Hi

I've thought about buying myself a 3SGE Beams engine that is standard in the Altezza and install it in my IS200.

Does anyone here have any experiences with that swap? The problem is that my car is a LHD since i live in Norway. All Altezzas are RHD, so i think there might be a problem with the steering and maybe the brake and clutch reservoir. That they will come in the way. Does the Beams fit straight in? Is it the same gearbox on the IS200 and altezza? Both are six-speed gearboxes.

It is feasible to fit an Altezza engine in an IS200 engine bay (LHD). There is a Russian mod shop that has done it from what I know. In general it can be done, but you must have to do some mods in oder to find space for the exhaust manifold and turbo. This would be a goog projuect if you do it. I am not sure thought about the wiring, but if they can musch is200 with a supra motor this can be done too.

There's a guy on tezzaworld who lives in The Dominican Republic I think who has a left hook Altezza. I can't remember which way he went about the conversion but I think he may have started with a RHD Altezza & put LHD IS200 bits into it. Either way it's possible to do if you have a big enough budget. I'll try find you a link to some pics & his contact details if you like.

Hi

I've thought about buying myself a 3SGE Beams engine that is standard in the Altezza and install it in my IS200.

Does anyone here have any experiences with that swap? The problem is that my car is a LHD since i live in Norway. All Altezzas are RHD, so i think there might be a problem with the steering and maybe the brake and clutch reservoir. That they will come in the way. Does the Beams fit straight in? Is it the same gearbox on the IS200 and altezza? Both are six-speed gearboxes.

Why the 3sGE? its not that good, just put a 3SGTE like mine in, fits with ease and you get turbo fun.

The Down pipe for the exhaust on both engines is in exactly the wrong place for a LHD car so thats the 1st issue, next is electrics although if you go for a 3SGE I assume an Altezza ECU would sort out 80% of the issues??

You will need an Altezza gearbox bell-housing as it is different to the IS200's and alter your prop-shaft.

won't be an easy conversion but possible.

Hi

Why the 3sGE? its not that good, just put a 3SGTE like mine in, fits with ease and you get turbo fun.

The Down pipe for the exhaust on both engines is in exactly the wrong place for a LHD car so thats the 1st issue, next is electrics although if you go for a 3SGE I assume an Altezza ECU would sort out 80% of the issues??

You will need an Altezza gearbox bell-housing as it is different to the IS200's and alter your prop-shaft.

won't be an easy conversion but possible.

The reason for this is that I want to re-register my car as an Altezza instead of an IS200 and do it the legal way. My plan is to buy an Altezza and swap engine and drivetrain. I assume that the bodyshell is the same except for LHD/RHD, so that all brackets and so on is bolt on in my IS200?

I think its something to do with the avaliabilty/price of Altezza's in Norway, hence the OP wants to fit a 3sge in to his IS200?

Availability and Taxes!

A IS 200 starts at about £ 16 000 included taxes

An Altezza would start at about £ 22-23 000? included taxes

Buying a altezza engine from uk £ 3-4000?

The taxes in Norway are based on kW but after 10 years you can have as much kW as you like with out any extra taxes (still need to do some paperwork)

So it would be cheaper to swap engine but i would also recommend a turbo'd engine :D

Brakes have to be up rated and maybe the undercarriage as well

Buying a altezza engine from uk £ 3-4000?

So it would be cheaper to swap engine but i would also recommend a turbo'd engine :D

Brakes have to be up rated and maybe the undercarriage as well

What's freight going to be like importing a one off engine?. Do they have any Japanese engine importers in Norway? Ireland might be a good place to look as there's lots of Altezza's there. Over here in NZ you can pick up a complete 3SGE & J160 package for £1200.

IS200 already run large 2 pots callipers as used on the SC400, GS300 etc. Maybe just some better pads & up-rated brake fluid would be all that's needed if you went down the turbo route.

As for up-rating the undercarriage?? Do you mean TRD braces etc? Not really necessary but would help. Lowering it on quality struts & spring would be a good place to start along with front & rear strut braces.

Allready talked to an importer who can have a car in good condition delievered here for about 4500 £. Another problem here in norway is registering JDM RHD cars. So my best bet is to convert my IS200 I think. If it's worth all the hasse is another thing, but I must admit that my IS is one of the best cars I've ever driven, even though it is 11 years old.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Guys!

My name is Roel Marien from Aruba. I've just registered 2 days ago.

I own Dynamic Motorsports N.V. in Aruba wich is a company that imports JDM cars to the island and sell drift based performance parts.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right forum but I'm planning to bring in a Stock SXE10 Altezza for a drift project.

Besides from stripping down the car and fully adjustable suspension,etc, etc, I am planning to turbocharge the 3S BEAMS engine.

For now I want to keep the cost as low as possible until I get the car sponsered.

I want to check if anyone can confirm if the 3S-GTE (celica/mr2) engine block is compatible with the BEAMS cylinder head. Maybe some of you have ever done it.

My guess, that would be my cheapest way out to turbocharge it unless impossible I would have to opt for the TODA storker kit since my plans are around 400HP to the wheels.

A TODA stroker, ECU plus turbo kit and everything else would set me back around $12K, but I'm not really into spending that much at the moment.

Maybe anyone or Yeldarb can help me out with some info on this??

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-td04h...zza-3s-ge-54055

http://www.prolex-uk.com/store/product_inf...products_id=736

If you are already going to stroke the motor, forget the stock 3S-GTE. Take a look at the links.

The biggest setback for these bolt on forced induction systems is the stock compression ratio.

If you are going to use the TODA low compression stroke kit, this will offset that.

If I am not mistaken the BEAMS motor uses coil packs anyway,

and the other 3S-GE/GTE motors use distributor cap w/rotor for spark.

That means you would have to get new electronics, which I guess you will be doing anyway when you force induction...

Your next issue will be your transmission.

Remember, Yeldarb paid a lot of money to someone to get his car running,

and then had to take it to someone else and pay them a lot more money

because the first set of dudes did not do such a great job? (correct me if i am wrong Yeldarb)

Be wary of that route, it could get costly. I am sure he is content though.

You should read his thread completely, I have several times, lots of good info.

My MR2 experience was leading me down that road, now I think maybe not.

Now I know that this next will get some smiles and what not,

but, you could use both the Trust/Greddy Turbo kit, and the Blitz Compressor kit?

Lancia had a Super/Turbo charged car for rally sports...

just some food for thought.

Good luck with whatever you do, and keep us posted.

I would be interested to see which way you go with this.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy-td04h...zza-3s-ge-54055

http://www.prolex-uk.com/store/product_inf...products_id=736

If you are already going to stroke the motor, forget the stock 3S-GTE. Take a look at the links.

The biggest setback for these bolt on forced induction systems is the stock compression ratio.

If you are going to use the TODA low compression stroke kit, this will offset that.

If I am not mistaken the BEAMS motor uses coil packs anyway,

and the other 3S-GE/GTE motors use distributor cap w/rotor for spark.

That means you would have to get new electronics, which I guess you will be doing anyway when you force induction...

Your next issue will be your transmission.

Remember, Yeldarb paid a lot of money to someone to get his car running,

and then had to take it to someone else and pay them a lot more money

because the first set of dudes did not do such a great job? (correct me if i am wrong Yeldarb)

Be wary of that route, it could get costly. I am sure he is content though.

You should read his thread completely, I have several times, lots of good info.

My MR2 experience was leading me down that road, now I think maybe not.

Now I know that this next will get some smiles and what not,

but, you could use both the Trust/Greddy Turbo kit, and the Blitz Compressor kit?

Lancia had a Super/Turbo charged car for rally sports...

just some food for thought.

Good luck with whatever you do, and keep us posted.

I would be interested to see which way you go with this.

You are 100% correct - I am VERY fussy about mods, and Toyota GT did a poor job (thats being nice).

However it is 100% sorted now and cost a lot of money overall - although less than most people are thinking, because of a few deals I did.

The car runs a steady safe 280 BHP at 1bar, and if setting 2 is pressed on the EBC then its 1.2 bar and 301BHP. If I wasn't off to America and have to go on a SERIOUS saving plan, then no way would I sell this car.

It is set up ready for 400+ BHP, with a better turbo and internals, probably cost in the region of £2.5K all in and then dyno tuning. You could however just buy a forged engine already built and bolt it in. The car is built for ease of use and ease of servicing etc.

You can ditch the Dizzy and go electronic ignition but thats just not worth the expense, it doesn't gain anything noticeable..