Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clunk Clunk Clunk On Full Lock.

Been happy with the car so far! Had it now for 5 days.

One thing I have noticed is when reversing or driving forward with full lock there is a loud clunk / knocking (repeatedly as I move slowly).

Did the usual search around here and some people have previously mentioned that the front wheel stepping out. Not sure if you would get a repeating clunk with this and if this is an accepted "feature!"

Other views suggest ball joints? I have informed the garage (independent) as there is a 3 mth Warranty. They have a contact at lexus apparently and he seemed to think there was a recall on the steering rack (and he mentioned rear brakes). Does this sound right? If so, would you car automatically come up on a recall. I called Lexus prior to getting the car and they said there was nothing outstanding showing against the registration.

The garage also indicated that the recalls should all be done free even if out of warranty?

BUMP.

Still trying to resolve this.

Can any sport owners confirm that this happens to them (full lock knocking) - or any or 220 owners?? Other members have mentioned wheel stepping out issues....?......

Also, anyone experienced any issues where the steering rack recall fixed a similar issue. Independent Garage still suggesting this and trying to arrange it as a recall to Lexus.

I've not noticed a noise with mine although I did have the steering rack recall performed so perhaps that's why.

Garage has been in touch with Lexus - appears to think it hasnt had the steering rack recall done. Double checking with Lexus main group.

They suggest that you can have the recall done at any time even out of warranty so fingers crossed.

Mine has this feature on full lock to the right. It has done it from day 1 (18k miles when I bought it from Lexus) and continues now (I'm up to 60k miles). Lexus reckon there isn't anything wrong, no "advice" is ever given on the services and it passes MOTs so I don't worry about it (much) anymore and just try not to put full lock on so it doesn't happen! It did it both before and after the steering rack recall was done.

Mine has this feature on full lock to the right. It has done it from day 1 (18k miles when I bought it from Lexus) and continues now (I'm up to 60k miles). Lexus reckon there isn't anything wrong, no "advice" is ever given on the services and it passes MOTs so I don't worry about it (much) anymore and just try not to put full lock on so it doesn't happen! It did it both before and after the steering rack recall was done.

As above, 'they all do that sir' is the standard answer from dealers about the knocking noise, the steering rack recall is down to possable failure of the rack, the rear brake recall, if yours is affected, gets you new rear calipers fitted, and yes all recalls are free regardless of the cars age.

As above, 'they all do that sir' is the standard answer from dealers about the knocking noise, the steering rack recall is down to possable failure of the rack, the rear brake recall, if yours is affected, gets you new rear calipers fitted, and yes all recalls are free regardless of the cars age.

There contact in Lexus seemed to think that the rear calipers have been done as part of a recall. The steering column is outstanding, hence, I will hopefully get it into Lexus to get that done (will ask about the knocking, if they say its ok then fine I just wanted to be on the safe side!).

Ok, was in Lexus Stoke today. They were very helpful in arranging the booking and when I arrived! The workshop superviser then took it for a spin with me.

First thing he said when he reversed at full lock was, yup, thats just the wheel stepping out due to turning circle / rear wheel drive. I did say that it didnt appear to be apparent on all cars as per responsed from owners club to which he didnt comment.

He also said wheel alignment was off, pulling noticeable to the left (could make the knocking worse). It is due its 60K service in around 2,000 miles so will leave that until then.

He then checked the system and said no recalls outstanding. This is where I maybe have an issue. Lexus Sheffield werent able to access any of the cars data and had to go to Lexus Edinburgh where the car was born and had received all its services. Edinburgh said that it had a steering rack in 2007 but this was superceeded by a new rack in 2008!

I came back home and left a message with Lexus Edinburgh as I am now concerned that the systems dont tie up, hence, Lexus Stoke maybe cant see some recalls.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is Sorted!

Went on Blackcircles.com (fabulous web site and service by the way) and ended up at EDM Garage Services at Findern Derby to have my tyres fitted. They said that they do free wheel alignment check for all Blackcircles customers so I said:

"...........yes please and if you can stop my uneven front tyre wear you'll be doing better than Lexus who always say the alignment is within acceptable tolerances............."

They did the free check and confirmed it wasn't within acceptable tolerances. I therefore paid £29.99 for it to be put right AND it has also sorted out the knocking on full lock. :D

Mine is Sorted!

Went on Blackcircles.com (fabulous web site and service by the way) and ended up at EDM Garage Services at Findern Derby to have my tyres fitted. They said that they do free wheel alignment check for all Blackcircles customers so I said:

"...........yes please and if you can stop my uneven front tyre wear you'll be doing better than Lexus who always say the alignment is within acceptable tolerances............."

They did the free check and confirmed it wasn't within acceptable tolerances. I therefore paid £29.99 for it to be put right AND it has also sorted out the knocking on full lock. :D

Interesting, I took mine into F1 Autocentres and they said alignment was out 2mm iirc. Anyway, paid the 30 quid for it to be done and hey presto I still have the same issue, knocking on full lock.....

Lexus stand by the fact that its a feature!

Mine is Sorted!

Did you test for the problem after the tryes had been fitted, before the wheel alignment?

No cos it never occurred to me that the knocking would be sorted after the tyres and alignment were done. As i mentioned on previous post mine's had the knocking since i got it and has been through tyre changes before with the knocking being unaffected by the tyre change so i can only assume it was the alignment that sorted it.

No cos it never occurred to me that the knocking would be sorted after the tyres and alignment were done. As i mentioned on previous post mine's had the knocking since i got it and has been through tyre changes before with the knocking being unaffected by the tyre change so i can only assume it was the alignment that sorted it.

Just picked car up after 60K service @ Lexus (where they do alignment again and I still get the noise). Did you change all four tyres done? Also, did you change for the same brand / tread pattern?