Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My nearside mirror has stopped dipping when I engage reverse, and also cannot be adjusted in the vertical plane although it can be horizontally. The offside (drivers) door mirror dips and has full adjustment.

Anyone experienced this and has an easy fix? My first check of course was to ensure the selection rocker switch wasn't centralised, and then I noticed one side was OK and the other not.

I'm sure I've read this as quite a common fault on the mk3 GS and requires a new mirror - I hope it's not the same problem on the IS.......

So do I, but I need to get it fixed as that's the one I rely on when parallel parking to prevent kerb rash on my alloys. :crying:

I'm sure I've read this as quite a common fault on the mk3 GS and requires a new mirror - I hope it's not the same problem on the IS.......

So do I, but I need to get it fixed as that's the one I rely on when parallel parking to prevent kerb rash on my alloys. :crying:

I'm pretty sure there's a TSIB on this and it is a common fault as with the GS and requires a new mirror unit.. I did manage to download the TSIB from a website somewhere and it seemed like it was just down to luck whether they went within the warranty or not :-( I had both mine go within a few months of each other about 6 months ago. My car is an '06 plate and the dealer originally wanted about £900 to fix it! since I was only about 3 months out of warranty the dealer tried to get something off Lexus GB but this was knocked back - I did email lexus direct though, and with a bit of persuasion they agreed to pay for both parts, and the dealer discounted the labour by 50% - it ended up costing me about £100. I did find the function really useful so it was worth this to fix it, but much more and unfortunately I'd of just left them broken as it would have been uneconomic to fix.

Hi, I've had the same problem on my IS220, I've used reverse they were facing down and the one on my side wasn't pulling into normal position, it got stuck in the reverse position and I was also able to move horizontally from the control joystick.

I do not remember exactly what I did, but I'm sure I've pushed the mirror with my hand into normal position(adjusted vertically) and it worked, but don't push it hard. You should also try to find out if there's any reset procedures as for the windows.

Also check if you push the control to adjust if you can hear the little engine making any sound while trying to move the mirror.

Hope this helps, let me know!

I'm pretty sure there's a TSIB on this and it is a common fault as with the GS and requires a new mirror unit.. I did manage to download the TSIB from a website somewhere and it seemed like it was just down to luck whether they went within the warranty or not :-( I had both mine go within a few months of each other about 6 months ago. My car is an '06 plate and the dealer originally wanted about £900 to fix it! since I was only about 3 months out of warranty the dealer tried to get something off Lexus GB but this was knocked back - I did email lexus direct though, and with a bit of persuasion they agreed to pay for both parts, and the dealer discounted the labour by 50% - it ended up costing me about £100. I did find the function really useful so it was worth this to fix it, but much more and unfortunately I'd of just left them broken as it would have been uneconomic to fix.

I've just replaced the two speed sensors on the nearside rear wheel too :angry: My ABS and TRC light came on as I was just driving along. I know the 250 has a lot more tech than my IS200 Sport, but in terms of recalls, warranty work and recent failures I don't think it's as reliable. My 2001 IS200 has just done 98K and apart from a new clutch, replacement alloys and normal replacements of brake pads I cannot recall any problems at all. The 250 is just on 44K and has had two sets of rear calipers, a new fuel pipe. a replacement steering rack, two front seatbelt recoilers, and the speed sensors on the rear wheel,

I've just replaced the two speed sensors on the nearside rear wheel too :angry: My ABS and TRC light came on as I was just driving along. I know the 250 has a lot more tech than my IS200 Sport, but in terms of recalls, warranty work and recent failures I don't think it's as reliable. My 2001 IS200 has just done 98K and apart from a new clutch, replacement alloys and normal replacements of brake pads I cannot recall any problems at all. The 250 is just on 44K and has has two sets of rear calipers, a new fuel pipe. a replacement steering rack, two front seatbelt recoilers, and the speed sensors on the rear wheel,

Tango, what went wrong with your steering rack?

I've just replaced the two speed sensors on the nearside rear wheel too :angry: My ABS and TRC light came on as I was just driving along. I know the 250 has a lot more tech than my IS200 Sport, but in terms of recalls, warranty work and recent failures I don't think it's as reliable. My 2001 IS200 has just done 98K and apart from a new clutch, replacement alloys and normal replacements of brake pads I cannot recall any problems at all. The 250 is just on 44K and has has two sets of rear calipers, a new fuel pipe. a replacement steering rack, two front seatbelt recoilers, and the speed sensors on the rear wheel,

Well nothing tbh, it was changed out under a Lexus general recall. Same reason for the seat belts and petrol pipe. The rear calipers had been seized for some time before it was noticed on a service, so just as well I had the BBK on the front :huh: . Both rear calipers were changed under warranty, and when the problem became a general recall they were changed out again for the updated ones.

With the speed sensors and now the mirror, I've lost the 'bullet proof' feeling I have with the IS200. Looks like paying for an extended warranty is the best course of action.

At least I haven't had the rattles from the trim and the cold rattle on start up, but perhaps they're something I can look forward to :crybaby:

sounds like our cars are related! I had the abs and vsc light come on Friday on the way home! Took it to lexi

us Sheffield who plugged it in and said the code was a rear speed sensor - they reconned it was due to dirtbetween the wheel and sensor though and it tied in with me driving past and being caked in grit from 3 grit lorries on the way back. It's stayed off since so I just hope it says that way! My 200 did 150k without any probs whatsoever - the list of faults and issues on the 250 is getting long now an I'm worried it'll prove very expensive now it's out of warranty.

Tango, if you can spare a long winter evening to get the mirror open, the problem is:-

a) Power isn't reaching the motors - which you can prove with a meter (or a small 12 volt bulb on the end of two wires) connected to the motor leads when you actuate the switches. The problem may not even be in the mirror unit.

b) The motor(s) don't even twitch or try to move because they are dead.

c) The gearing is jammed, mangled or jumped a few cogs etc - which you can check by moving them manually.

The only problem with doing this is that you may break the glass when getting at the mechanism behind because it is never obvious how the glass clips in place, and you may find a fault you can't fix - but faced with a huge replacement bill, what is there to lose? I have done this with other cars and then prised the actual motors apart to fix them or replaced them with motors from Maplin - but have to say that a small tame octopus would be handy to refit concertina moisture seals etc.

Tango, if you can spare a long winter evening to get the mirror open, the problem is:-

a) Power isn't reaching the motors - which you can prove with a meter (or a small 12 volt bulb on the end of two wires) connected to the motor leads when you actuate the switches. The problem may not even be in the mirror unit.

B) The motor(s) don't even twitch or try to move because they are dead.

c) The gearing is jammed, mangled or jumped a few cogs etc - which you can check by moving them manually.

The only problem with doing this is that you may break the glass when getting at the mechanism behind because it is never obvious how the glass clips in place, and you may find a fault you can't fix - but faced with a huge replacement bill, what is there to lose? I have done this with other cars and then prised the actual motors apart to fix them or replaced them with motors from Maplin - but have to say that a small tame octopus would be handy to refit concertina moisture seals etc.

I'll take a look and report back.

Well nothing tbh, it was changed out under a Lexus general recall. Same reason for the seat belts and petrol pipe. The rear calipers had been seized for some time before it was noticed on a service, so just as well I had the BBK on the front :huh: . Both rear calipers were changed under warranty, and when the problem became a general recall they were changed out again for the updated ones.

With the speed sensors and now the mirror, I've lost the 'bullet proof' feeling I have with the IS200. Looks like paying for an extended warranty is the best course of action.

Can't help as regards the mirrors as, touch wood, had no problems of any sort yet.

The cars ( 250's) have a good reliability record but there are so many "extras" on this car that if I keep it for more than three years I will definately follow your advice and purchase an extended warranty.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if this function is available on all IS, mine is a 2008 IS220D Base model and they have never worked from new, maybe something to raise with lexus!!

May be wrong but I don't think it's on the base model. You probably haven't got rain sensing wipers, parking sensors, auto-dimming mirrors, electrically adjustable steering column, three-driver memory settings, power rear sunshade, illuminated scuff plates, swivelling HID headlamps with washers either have you?:whistling:

With regard to the problem with the dipping mirror, the Service Manager at the local Stealership told me over the 'phone that I needed a replacement unit as it was a known problem. Just as well I took out the extended warranty:)

Anyone know if this function is available on all IS, mine is a 2008 IS220D Base model and they have never worked from new, maybe something to raise with lexus!!

May be wrong but I don't think it's on the base model. You probably haven't got rain sensing wipers, parking sensors, auto-dimming mirrors, electrically adjustable steering column, three-driver memory settings, power rear sunshade, illuminated scuff plates, swivelling HID headlamps with washers either have you?:whistling:

With regard to the problem with the dipping mirror, the Service Manager at the local Stealership told me over the 'phone that I needed a replacement unit as it was a known problem. Just as well I took out the extended warranty:)

Yes your absolutely right!!! I don't have these fitted to my model as everyone who owns a lexus will know!!! just thought I'd ask the question above, hoping that I would get a sensible helpful answer and not a smart condescending one eh!!!!!

I had problem with the mirror on passenger side. Suddenly it doesn't dip down as much as driver side. My dealer "fixed" it once (don't know how they did) but now it comes back. It doesn't dip down enough for me to see the curb. Totally useless. :tsktsk: Will call mt deal again.

I had problem with the mirror on passenger side. Suddenly it doesn't dip down as much as driver side. My dealer "fixed" it once (don't know how they did) but now it comes back. It doesn't dip down enough for me to see the curb. Totally useless. :tsktsk: Will call mt deal again.

Do you have full movement in the vertical plain using the remote adjustment on the rocker switch? Mine doesn't have any movement at all.The Stealership has ordered another complete mirror unit (under warranty) without a look at the car, so I'm assuming the 'common problem' is a dead motor. I can move the mirror manually, so the gearing appears to be free enough.

I'm sorry Nolnod3, didn't mean to sound condescending, but I was unsuccessful in finding the information for you, and merely wanted to suggest that the base model is a fair bit cheaper for a reason. :shifty:

Do you have full movement in the vertical plain using the remote adjustment on the rocker switch? Mine doesn't have any movement at all.The Stealership has ordered another complete mirror unit (under warranty) without a look at the car, so I'm assuming the 'common problem' is a dead motor. I can move the mirror manually, so the gearing appears to be free enough.

Mine works when I manually adjust the mirror up and down with the rocker switch. It is only the auto tilt function doesn't work allway. I have seen quite a few on US forum that got same problem with their mirror. But their IS is from 2006-2007 so I thought that my late 2009 shouldn't have this problem. It seems like the problem is too small for Lexus so they don't bother to address it. Like the rattles... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

My nearside mirror has stopped dipping when I engage reverse, and also cannot be adjusted in the vertical plane although it can be horizontally. The offside (drivers) door mirror dips and has full adjustment.

Anyone experienced this and has an easy fix? My first check of course was to ensure the selection rocker switch wasn't centralised, and then I noticed one side was OK and the other not.

I had the same problem. After reading this forum I wished I'd taken it in to Lexus to show them so it could be fixed under warranty.

However, since the mirror would still adjust side to side, I adjusted it fully to the right ( mine is the drivers mirror )

and then was able to adjust it up and down. The Mirror now performs as normal.

I am getting concerned about the IS250 as the warranty finishes next month and it has had many niggling faults.

Having had 4 lexus over the last 11 years and had problems with all I think we might now part company

I had the same problem. After reading this forum I wished I'd taken it in to Lexus to show them so it could be fixed under warranty.

However, since the mirror would still adjust side to side, I adjusted it fully to the right ( mine is the drivers mirror )

and then was able to adjust it up and down. The Mirror now performs as normal.

I am getting concerned about the IS250 as the warranty finishes next month and it has had many niggling faults.

Having had 4 lexus over the last 11 years and had problems with all I think we might now part company

I had the extended warranty, so the Dealership changed out the complete unit. Now have dip function again, well until it fails again no doubt :angry:

• 4 months later...

My 2006 IS250 Sport has just developed the same problem on the n/s door mirror. No reverse dip and unable to electrically move the mirror vertically. It started as an intermittant fault and now seems to be permanent. Originally just re-setting the seat/steering/mirror memory sorted it. I can hear working contacts when I operate the door switch(and I don't mean the clicking sound that occurs when the mirror reaches its extreme travel), but no motor whirr. It may just be a seized motor. Does anyone know how to take the mirror glass/carrier assembly out so I can have a look.