Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone ever put them on your car?

Went to Lexus earlier and they gave me the following prices for rear tyres (255 40 18):

Dunlop Sport Maxx ~£190 ish

Bridgestone ~£200

Capital ~£68!

The workshop manager said he has sold a lot and had good reports, has them on his car. I on the other hand wanted to find out some independent reports? Anyone?

Went to Lexus earlier and they gave me the following prices for rear tyres (255 40 18):

Bridgestone ~£200

Capital ~£68!

The workshop manager said he has sold a lot and had good reports, has them on his car. I on the other hand wanted to find out some independent reports? Anyone?

I don't know anything about Capital tyres, but in general low cost brands tend to get crappy results in the Swedish/German tyre reviews i read.

Buying cheap, crappy tyres does not make sense when you have spent a lot of money on a fantastic car, in my opinion.

Many low cost tyres are made for extremely price sensitive markets in the far east and use inferior tread patterns and compounds that get extremely hard at temperatures in our climate zone.

Of course, I could be wrong and Capital might be just as good as the premium brands, but without any facts from unbiased reviews I would avoid them.

I don't know anything about Capital tyres, but in general low cost brands tend to get crappy results in the Swedish/German tyre reviews i read.

Buying cheap, crappy tyres does not make sense when you have spent a lot of money on a fantastic car, in my opinion.

Many low cost tyres are made for extremely price sensitive markets in the far east and use inferior tread patterns and compounds that get extremely hard at temperatures in our climate zone.

Of course, I could be wrong and Capital might be just as good as the premium brands, but without any facts from unbiased reviews I would avoid them.

Up until today I would completely agree - I was just curious as Lexus suggested them!

Bridgestone ~£200

Capital ~£68!

Never heard of Capital tyres but it may be worth haggling on the price of the Dunlops. I got 4 off 17" Dunlop Sport Maxx for my IS250 supplied and fitted by Lexus Teeside for £500 all in which was pretty good I thought.

I know noting about Capital tyres but from the various reviews I have read on cheap tyre brands their performance and crucially stopping distance are inferior to the main brands.

Personally I think cheap Asian tyres are a false economy and just spent £489 on 4 Dunlop Sport Maxx from Elite Wheels and Tyres in Reading.

I would rather know I can stop within a safe distance on good tyres than overshoot, crash and end up losing NCB, higher premiums, hastle etc etc.

Thanks.

Never heard of Capital tyres but it may be worth haggling on the price of the Dunlops. I got 4 off 17" Dunlop Sport Maxx for my IS250 supplied and fitted by Lexus Teeside for £500 all in which was pretty good I thought.

Hi, they offered me the dunlops initially at 125 quid fitted (each) then realised that I had 18's on mine! This is when it shot up to 190 ish!

Hi, they offered me the dunlops initially at 125 quid fitted (each) then realised that I had 18's on mine! This is when it shot up to 190 ish!

Event Mobile Tyre Service supplied and fitted (at my home) 245/40/18 Falken FK452 97Y at £127.85 all in. I purchased 2 but if you need 4 you are given a bigger discount. Excellent tyres which I also used on my Series 1 GS300 Sport. The service was also top class.

Event Mobile Tyre Service supplied and fitted (at my home) 245/40/18 Falken FK452 97Y at £127.85 all in. I purchased 2 but if you need 4 you are given a bigger discount. Excellent tyres which I also used on my Series 1 GS300 Sport. The service was also top class.

Just given them a try online.

Cheapest is the Avon 255/40R18 95Y AVON ZZ3 - £165

Dunlop Sport maxx is £183.11 - would prob go for these (after a quick search around), reckon I will "steer" clear of the capital - if you pardon the pun!

Just given them a try online.

Cheapest is the Avon 255/40R18 95Y AVON ZZ3 - £165

Dunlop Sport maxx is £183.11 - would prob go for these (after a quick search around), reckon I will "steer" clear of the capital - if you pardon the pun!

Or found the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 for £149 fitted - seems to get good reviews on here and also 2nd best to Michelin on tirerack.com

blackcircles are doing a price beating service so might be worth calling them. 08456202000. Just give them the make and company you can get them from and they will try to beat it. As mentioned above do some searching online, you are gauranteed to get a better price, plus they alot of them will come to you, so you can get it done in your works carpark etc

AFAIK the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 has been out of manufacture for a while now, so it might be old stock they are trying to get rid of. They were replaced by the Eagle F1 Asymmetric model.

I have the GS-D3 ones on my car and they are great tyres though, so if you can ascertain that they've not been sitting on a shelf for 2 or 3 years, they would be a fine choice.

if you can ascertain that they've not been sitting on a shelf for 2 or 3 years

Easy enough, there is a date code on the tyres:

Tyre Age

Tyres carry a three digit age code on the sidewall indicating the month and year of manufacture. For example 129 means the tyre was manufactured in December 1999

To the OP:

Why are you considering even buying tyres from a Lexus dealer? You should be able to find cheaper (and better quality tyres) online.

Hi, I was just putting the feelers out at the same time as searching around. I was in lexus having another issue looked at so thought I would ask - I was expecting them to offer dunlop sports but not Capital.

I will probably go for Sport Maxx now from my local tyre supplier who did a price beat and offered them @ 165 each (255/40/18).

Tyre Age

Tyres carry a three digit age code on the sidewall indicating the month and year of manufacture. For example 129 means the tyre was manufactured in December 1999

True, but that's not much use if you buy them online and they've been shipped to a dealer ready for you to drop by for fitting.

Tyre Age

True, but that's not much use if you buy them online and they've been shipped to a dealer ready for you to drop by for fitting.

When the fitter from Event Tyres came to my house to fit the tyres they were supplying the first thing I did was check the manufacture date code. If they had been over a few months old I would have refused them. Out of interest, when you order from Event Tyres you don't pay upfront. The fitter collects payment after they have been fitted.