Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Linglong Tyres !

My point exactly, they're all tested within British standards : )

"In order to earn the circled 'E' on their sidewall, tyres have to pass the ECE R30 high-speed test, which ensures they can carry a specified percentage of their rated load at close to their rated maximum speed without failure. But there are no statutory tests of braking, handling or aquaplaning performance, and even the R30 test is considered inadequate by many car makers. In other words, just because a tyre can legally be sold in the UK, that is no guarantee of its performance in safetycritical aspects of normal driving."

Like has been said before if you can't afford to maintain your Lexus properly then buy something cheaper you can afford the upkeep on. Budget tyres don't have a place in this end of the market IMO.

What end of the snobbery Market are you talking about. My GS cost a couple of grand, my misses has a Focus that cost triple that. Price or marque has nothing to do with it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In order to earn the circled 'E' on their sidewall, tyres have to pass the ECE R30 high-speed test, which ensures they can carry a specified percentage of their rated load at close to their rated maximum speed without failure. But there are no statutory tests of braking, handling or aquaplaning performance, and even the R30 test is considered inadequate by many car makers. In other words, just because a tyre can legally be sold in the UK, that is no guarantee of its performance in safetycritical aspects of normal driving."

Like has been said before if you can't afford to maintain your Lexus properly then buy something cheaper you can afford the upkeep on. Budget tyres don't have a place in this end of the market IMO.

So by your logic, only the very best tyre should be allowed to be fitted to any IS... So you are saying that there should only be one make of tyre on the market for any given car....No?

Any tyre less than the very best performing should be banned?

I'm sorry bud, but you sound like a Marketing mans dream....

My diesel van was more expensive than my car and can leave it for dead up to 60... Is my van a "Prestige" van and so in need of super special tyres?

My lexus has a full dealer service history, and over the past 3 years of ownership this alone has cost £1800. So mechanically my Is is perfect : )

If those four little pads were so important, then surely last Winter you changed your tyres to Winter tyres to minimise the risk to yourself and your passengers.... No?

Yes, I did. And they worked, in the ice and snow, extremely well. Now I have the Goodyear Eagle F1s back on again.

Next question?

If those four little pads were so important, then surely last Winter you changed your tyres to Winter tyres to minimise the risk to yourself and your passengers.... No?

Yes, I did. And they worked, in the ice and snow, extremely well. Now I have the Goodyear Eagle F1s back on again.

Next question?

Good for you... I believe that every vehicle in the UK should be fitted with Winter tyres through the Winter. My van gets Winter tyres also.

It has always been my belief that a motorist should fit the best tyres that they can afford. Unfortunately not everyone can afford big name brand tyres. There seems to be a perception here that if it isn't a big name brand, then it is dangerous which is total and absolute nonsense.... Perhaps it is the same thinking that makes folk believe that a shirt with the manufacturers name emblazoned across the front is better than a shirt without..

My diesel van was more expensive than my car and can leave it for dead up to 60... Is my van a "Prestige" van and so in need of super special tyres?

So do you run Linglong tyres on your van or as close to OE spec as possible? Do you drive you van spiritedly on B roads or does it stay in the city/motor way?

That's really what I'm getting at here, you should be using tyres as close to OE spec as possible. Using anything less will be detrimental to the handling of your car.

I'll keep buying quality tyres & you lot can keep buying crap, no skin off my nose.

So do you run Linglong tyres on your van or as close to OE spec as possible? Do you drive you van spiritedly on B roads or does it stay in the city/motor way?

That's really what I'm getting at here, you should be using tyres as close to OE spec as possible. Using anything less will be detrimental to the handling of your car.

I'll keep buying quality tyres & you lot can keep buying crap, no skin off my nose.

For the Summer, the van gets maxmilers... they are a softer compound than the standard Michelin Agillis tyres, they are quieter on the road and give better traction for pulling out of junctions, obviously they wear quicker but are half the price so if a tyre gets damaged whilst being bounced up and down kerbs or whilst driving across rough ground, I dont get hypertensive ... 90% of the time the van goes no further than 100miles from home but it does go down to the south of Germany on the autobahns now and then and is happy to cruise at well over the ton where there are no restrictions.

The lex has just been fitted with Pilots, mainly because this is what was fitted originally, they are cheap enough to replace like for like and the rear set lasted nearly 40k miles... Not because I would crash and burn if it had budgets on.

Theres so much marekting crap being thrown around here!

As for the whole 'only bits connecting my car to the road' argument thats crap! As someone previously mentioned... that has nothing to do with it!

You only buy trainers that are in excess of £100 when you walk somewhere? You only wear polarized sunglasses when its sunny incase you walk into something?

Its all marketing crap that over the years some people have been sucked into. Your paying for the NAME!!!

If your driving your car to the limits then yes... get some Toyo R888's, or Yoki A048's etc... I'l even put my hands up and admit I had R888's on my Lotus!

But for everyday driving, if your putting all your faith in a set of tyres and not in your driving abilities then shame on you! Theres far more to stopping a car in the wet than what tyres you have!

Bruce

Wow- is this thread still running???

Ok, its time to end the arguments people- those of you who want to carry fitting budgets please carry on doing so and those of your who wish to fit quality/expensive tyres then please carry on.

End of the day we all need to look at our pockets etc- this will probably determine whether your car wears budget or branded tyres.

I'm afraid that I don't see any car as a prestige car... The IS is a four door family saloon.

I bet Toyota wouldn't be happy with that comment- they have spent billons over the years trying to create a preimum brand (Lexus).

Your IS is a 3 series competitor. A GS is a 5 series competitor and a LS is a 7 series/S class competitor. Each Toyota/Lexus version beats the BMW/Mercedes eqvilant in my eyes.

I'm afraid that I don't see any car as a prestige car... The IS is a four door family saloon.

I bet Toyota wouldn't be happy with that comment- they have spent billons over the years trying to create a preimum brand (Lexus).

Your IS is a 3 series competitor. A GS is a 5 series competitor and a LS is a 7 series/S class competitor. Each Toyota/Lexus version beats the BMW/Mercedes eqvilant in my eyes.

Ha! The marketing men who invent such ideas as "Prestige car" can spend all the money that they like and the IS will still be just a family saloon to me, just as the 3 series is. Similarly the 5 series, GS, 7series, LS and all the other cars on the road are just cars.... some are better than others, some are better appointed, some are more reliable, some are faster or corner better.... The BS that spouts from marketing men is unbelievable and I am stunned that folk fall for it but clearly they do otherwise the marketing men would be unemployed. All around us we see slick marketing.. as BRUC3 has already mentioned, £100 for a pair of branded trainers aint gonna make me run any faster that a pair from Makro but I will have £70 in my pocket and I was shocked when a buddy told me how much he paid for a cheap looking nylon football shirt because it was genuine... Nylon doesn't absorb sweat on a warm day and is very uncomfortable when compared to cotton... but it did have lots of advertising on it along with a name on the back... It wasn't my buddys name, so I don't suppose I could even use the name to find my buddy in a crowd.... Madness!

I tend to look at how things are made and from what materials and decide how good something is from its construction..

I didn't buy my IS because it was a lexus, I bought it because it is made using the same build techniques as a Toyota, and I liked the car... So far it hasn't disappointed with the exception of the crummy paint on the wheels.

It is a sad fact of life that most folk these days need to be told what to buy by those slick marketing men... And they say that the bankers are crooks!

I agree. The only way to evaluate anything is by comparing quality against cost. Never perception. With cars and car components there is a wealth of information out there, especially the interweb. I've noticed that a lot of people spend a lot of time reading car forum sites for information before buying a car. I think they are spot on and are a marketing man/woman's worst nightmare. Those people hate the truth getting out.

Not wanting to denegrate Mercedes in particular but we have all seen several Top Gears were they have spent 10 minutes going into rapture over a new model only to add that it broke down twice whilst it was in their hands. No problems with the reasonably priced "non presige" car.

I thik threads like this are good for the forum Kamo! No one likes nothing more than voicing their oppinions in a heated debate! lol

Bruce

Lol... I thought that this debate was very civilized.... From memory the one on funny number plates got a bit heated though.

• 6 months later...

Just had two of these awesome tyres fitted on my IS200. Apparently their known in the trade as 'live longs' due to the fact they wear remarkably slowly compared to other tyre brands.

I have to admit there are a budget brand, but in my opinion a good looking budget tyre, plus they make a nice squeel when you go too keen round corners. Perfectly fine for me though as 99% of the time I drive slower than my grandad!

I agree. The only way to evaluate anything is by comparing quality against cost. Never perception. With cars and car components there is a wealth of information out there, especially the interweb. I've noticed that a lot of people spend a lot of time reading car forum sites for information before buying a car. I think they are spot on and are a marketing man/woman's worst nightmare. Those people hate the truth getting out.

Firstly i cant beleave how long this thread had been going! I rember reading last time and decided to stay out of it as i have strong views on what tyre's and will never buy budget ones. But thats not why i decided to reply this time, i have to agree kenfoxys quote and i have to say this is me i research every car i think about buying.

Just had two of these awesome tyres fitted on my IS200. Apparently their known in the trade as 'live longs' due to the fact they wear remarkably slowly compared to other tyre brands.

I have to admit there are a budget brand, but in my opinion a good looking budget tyre, plus they make a nice squeel when you go too keen round corners. Perfectly fine for me though as 99% of the time I drive slower than my grandad!

holy thread ressurection !!! - love the nice squeel comment !! pump em more and theyll squeel even better