Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Altezza Wont Start - Help

Hi folks,

I just replaced the engine on my Altezza (3sge), due to the cambelt snapped on the old engine. But now I have a problem that

the car wont start. I checked all the connection, new plugs, cambelt etc.It turns over fine, but just wonts start. I noted that

when you turn the ignition on the engine management light start flashing. Any ideas of what it might be or how to get to the root

of the problem?

To tell you the truth regarding the Lexus i'm not sure but after about 99-2000 most vehicles need remapping as the ecu controls immobiliser amongst other things so any old ecu will not do, As i say i'm not sure with this model so dont take my word as gospel, I'm sure the more experienced Lexus guy's will be along to advise soon. Good luck.

check the 2 engines earths, the ecu will more than likely not have the factory alarm/immobiliser installed

Thanks for the reply. Where are the earths located? I know there is one on the gearbox where does the other go

What year is the car? Even if the alarm immobiliser is bypassed it still could be sync'd with other things. I'm quite supprised this post has not had many replies, someone must have swapped an engine in a similar or the same car?

What year is the car? Even if the alarm immobiliser is bypassed it still could be sync'd with other things. I'm quite supprised this post has not had many replies, someone must have swapped an engine in a similar or the same car?

It is a 1998 Altezza. It is just weird, now when I switch the ignition on the fan come on and a clicking sound from the fusebox(where the diagnostics is done from) but it still does not start. I am also stunt by the response!

It is a 1998 Altezza. It is just weird, now when I switch the ignition on the fan come on and a clicking sound from the fusebox(where the diagnostics is done from) but it still does not start. I am also stunt by the response!

Forgot to add; the alarm and remote central locking system seems to work fine.

You said the cam belt broke. You are aware that these are interference engines?! I assume you took the head off to inspect for any damage inside before installing a new cam belt?

You said the cam belt broke. You are aware that these are interference engines?! I assume you took the head off to inspect for any damage inside before installing a new cam belt?

It is complete new rebuild engine I've put in.

I think he replaced the original engine that the belt went on, Thats why we were wondering, Do you need to remap the ecu?

changing an engine wont req any sort of recoding at all........the fault lies in the fitting poss electric ie plugs round the wrong way....or could be down to a loose connection check all the connectors ALL of them and make sure they are all in the right place and plugged in correctly.

also were their any plugs/sensors in diffrent places?

Yes obd is, on board diagnostics

That is what I will have to do next, as that is what will tell me where the problem is.

Thanks for the input all. Will let you know how things go

it might tell you then again it might not.......some faults req the car to have been running for you to find them..

After a 2nd read this sounds like a flat Battery to me. Try a different/new Battery or a jump start.

I flattened mine the other week listening to the stereo & it wouldn't start even with 10-11v left in it. It just clicked away rather than struggling to start. I had to get a jump start from a mate in the end after checking every fuse/relay etc.

Hi folks,

Just a quick update. The issue has been sorted, there was an earth wire(mentioned by one of you guys) which was not tight enough So did that and it after a few turns it started. However there seems to be another issue; the car revs around 2000rpm constantly and not sure what is causing this. Also when putting my foot on the accerlerator it goes halfway down before it has any effect on the car, which means a huge play on it. Any ideas of how to rectify this? The guy did a diagnostics check on it and the fault was the throttle body sensor etc.

Thanks again for the help with this.

i had a similar problem, it was the mass air flow sensor in the intake just before the throttle body.

it is a standard Toyota part, meaning it is not specifically for the Altezza, should be able to replace it without too much trouble.

one guy on here had almost same problem, he said he cleaned his sensor, and then it worked fine, but that may have been an IS200?

just curious, what did you do with your old motor?

i had a similar problem, it was the mass air flow sensor in the intake just before the throttle body.

it is a standard Toyota part, meaning it is not specifically for the Altezza, should be able to replace it without too much trouble.

one guy on here had almost same problem, he said he cleaned his sensor, and then it worked fine, but that may have been an IS200?

just curious, what did you do with your old motor?

I will try the cleaning of it first and see if that help. Do you have pics of how the air flow sensor looks like?

I still have have the old motor, still getting some bits of it.

• 5 years later...

hello makoto, i happened to come to your post while googling the same problem with my 3sge beams celica. it was working well and all of a sudden its not starting. when turning the key there is only a click sound. at the same time i believe the headlights have been fused out or something. rest all electrics are working and i also tried jump starting which didnt work. can you tell me what earth wire was lose. i dont know how an earth wire can come lose when the car is running fine. anyone knows if it can be anything else? thanks in advance