Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, Is this another sign of the GS unreliability?

My moonroof tilts, but will not close. When I try closing it, it reopens. I have tried closing it whilst the engine is running and also using the fob key whilst the engine is off and not joy on all attempts.

Can anybody give me so ideas?

Car is 2005 GS 300 SE

Thanks.

Getting fed up with Lexus cars now

Does it open fully as well as tilt? Is there any noise from the sunroof motor? Have a good look to make sure nothing is trapped.

Getting fed up with Lexus cars now

Don't build them like they used to do they mate? Looks like Lexus/Toyota are going through a Merc phase (1995-2006) of crappy build and unreliability.

As suggested, check for trapped leaves/dirt etc.

Yes it does open fully as well as tilt. I opened it full and cleaned the surroundings just to ensure there are no leaves/ dirt caught but still no joy.

These cars were menet to be bullet proof..... Seriously considering the new E-class

Yes it does open fully as well as tilt. I opened it full and cleaned the surroundings just to ensure there are no leaves/ dirt caught but still no joy.

These cars were menet to be bullet proof..... Seriously considering the new E-class

Try calling into your local Lexus Dealer. I am sure they can point you in the right direction regarding any faults..........if your dealer is as good as Lexus Coventry then I am sure it will be diagnosed FOC.

I'm not sure how the GS sunroof works, but is it a one-touch close? If so have you tried holding the switch down?

We had a similar problem with the windows on our old Merc, if you closed them on auto, they would get near the top and then open again - they were somehow getting excess current making it think something was stuck in the way.

Wonder if the sunroof is having the same problem? Ask the dealer, there must be some kind of reset procedure which might work, else it might need something replaced.

Happened to mines couple of weeks ago. Get someone to press the button and you have a look

to see if the rubber seal is getting twisted and jamming, if so, some silicone spray did the trick.

The rubber and surrounging seal was dry and hard.

Worth a try.

Good Luck

The moonroof has travel limiters which may have gone out of sync. A dealer can recalibrate this quite easily.

If it does not respond to recalibration, you need a new motor. The motor is behind the overhead switch panel, so no worries about removing the headlining.

Will try resrting as suggested. Thanks for all the comments. Sadly the car is out of warranty and any repairs by the dealer will be costly.

Will try resrting as suggested. Thanks for all the comments. Sadly the car is out of warranty and any repairs by the dealer will be costly.

Hi there mate,

I think there can be few reasons for not having the moonroof working properly.

1. Dirt on the track of the moonroof - clean and oil the track

2. A silicone or rubber seal that could jam the full run of the sunroof - check possible problems

3. Faulty codes - needs reseting

4. And the last one - the motor will need to be recalibrated. Easy to do if you have the right tool.

Disconnect the moon roof from the Battery

Open the MR in the tilt position with a strong screwdriver or something

Find the motor and the plasticblack bix that's next to it

Get the plastic black box out. You will see couple of white markings on the small wheel inside the system. That will need to match the mark on outside. In order to do that you will need to open the small box very carefully.

Once they're all aligned put everything back together.

Voila!!!

Well, i hope it works well for you. If you don't want to mess with the system it;s better to give some sunroof experts a call and they can do it in no time for you.

Good luck!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links