Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

£500 93 Ls400 Newboy Looking To Solve An Un-lexus Like Ride

lexwaft

Hi everyone on here, aged 29 I have just bought my first Lexus, a £500 93 LS400. The good news - 1 owner from new, massive s/h, mechanically perfect despite 197k.

1 - My issues are wandering feeling on motorways - im thinking possible upper control arms...linked to

2 - Very disconcerting, almost dangerous, vague steering feeling over bumps especially at higher speed - feels like the front of the car is fighting to dart off in different directions and leaves you with a seasick sensation - im thinking lower nearside front balljoint - offside front balljoint replaced at last mot.

3 - Pulls badly to the left and most notable crawling in traffic, if you put the steering wheel in centre position take your hands off the wheel, it moves gradually in stages towards the left on its own - possibly tracking but I have just had the front wheels tracked at National tyres 1/2 price voucher for £14 but hasn't made any difference.

All tyres have correct PSI and look ok.

The slightly worring thing is it had a new mot less than 500 miles ago in december with no advisories!

There is no evidence in the s\history that the upper control arms have been replaced. Do these normally last 17 years and 200k? The ones on the rear were replaced a couple of years ago.

Am I on the right track with my assertions, anyone had these exact issues and have any better ideas or tips?

I am thinking of buying upper control arms at £99 a pair, £70 ball joint and around £50 tie rod ends, but as a keen student of bangernomics I dont want to do all that if it still pulls to the left or doesn't solve these problems as £250-300 bill is economically unwise on a £500 car even though I love it and appreciate its a luxury car so expensive parts.

I plan to try and do the work myself. The car is for my brother who lives in Holland and he will keep it for a year until its MOT so has to be right!

Welcome to the LOC.

If it has just passed an MOT I would doubt there is anything seriously wrong with the front suspension, you normally get a knocking/clonking noise when going over bumps when there is a problem.

What type and quality of tyres do you have fitted? Are they the same on the front? If you have the original wheels and tyres recheck the pressures according to the handbook, make sure the calipers are free and not causing brake binding ( the sliding pins do have a tendency to seize).

I would check all this out before you spend money you may not have to.

With the wondering do one quick thing and let me know.

Swap the front wheels around with each other and let me know what happens in a straight line.

To make a more solid feel at speed you can do loads of things but as you want to spend no money I can't advise. You just have normal wear and tear on everything. Things get weaker with age like humans.

thanks for recommending autoprochassis013, very reasonable prices!

I will swap the front wheels around and see if there is any change.

The 2 rear tyres are Continental eco contact with 3-4 mil.

The N/S front is the same eco contact with 3mm left.

The O/S front is a cheaper Federal tyre with around 7mm left.

I am happy to spend the money but am just reluctant as the car is only worth a few hundred quid,

the car does genuinely feel like bambi on ice over bumps/cambers at speed which made me feel N/S ball joint was worn. Its probably best if I take it to a garage and get it checked over properly.

I will post updates in due course.

The N/S front is the same eco contact with 3mm left.

The O/S front is a cheaper Federal tyre with around 7mm left.

There's the reason your car is pullint to the left. When you swap them around it will go the other way. Reason is not the depth of tread but the wear on the inside edge of the tyre. When you replace tyres on a car always do them as a pair or even better all four. It will seem like a new car.

If you've got standard alloys 16inch then you are looking at about £32 to £38 a tyre from any large dealer who does the budgets. Quite a few to choice from. If you need makers names then just ask.

Hi everyone on here, aged 29 I have just bought my first Lexus, a £500 93 LS400. The good news - 1 owner from new, massive s/h, mechanically perfect despite 197k.

1 - My issues are wandering feeling on motorways - im thinking possible upper control arms...linked to

2 - Very disconcerting, almost dangerous, vague steering feeling over bumps especially at higher speed - feels like the front of the car is fighting to dart off in different directions and leaves you with a seasick sensation - im thinking lower nearside front balljoint - offside front balljoint replaced at last mot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i had the above problems on my is when i got it - very disconcerting - my thoughts exactly - my car flew through an mot like it - replaced most of parts you mentioned and then got four wheel alignment at wheels in motion - problems pretty much solved -although still replacing arb bushes etc to achieve the result im after over potholes regarding noise

BAZGTR thanks for your info, I swapped the front wheels over this morning and it now drives 100% straight or as close to 100% as possible!

Even though it should really pull a bit to the right now..I am delighted with the result and was not aware it would make such a difference so thanks again.

I plan to put a new tyre on the O/S front to match up with the tread of the N/S front Federal H rated. Size 225/60/16 - The cheapest I can find new is £40.80 at black circles delivered free. Or £54 delivered for a matching Federal.

Any cheaper sites or eBay shops?

The only problem I have with the car now is the vague unpredictable feeling from the front, like you are on and off a train track/rails. It feels like the front suspension and wheels are disconnected to the rest of the car.

I am hoping its the N/S front ball joint as the O/S failed the mot and has just been replaced so the N/S can't have much life left in it. I will change both tie rod ends at the same time (£28).

The cheapest ball joint is around £64 plus vat from Euro car parts - anyone know where a cheaper ball joint can be found?

If that doesn't work then its onto upper control arms, but these looked ok when I took the wheels off this morning. The only bad thing I noticed was a bit of grease showing when I looked up and moved the N/S tie rod end - but I take it this will not cause the unpredictable suspension feeling.

I moved both tie rod ends with my hands quite easy is this ok or should the ball joints be stiffer?

BAZGTR thanks for your info, I swapped the front wheels over this morning and it now drives 100% straight or as close to 100% as possible!

Even though it should really pull a bit to the right now..I am delighted with the result and was not aware it would make such a difference so thanks again.

I plan to put a new tyre on the O/S front to match up with the tread of the N/S front Federal H rated. Size 225/60/16 - The cheapest I can find new is £40.80 at black circles delivered free. Or £54 delivered for a matching Federal.

Any cheaper sites or ebay shops?

The only problem I have with the car now is the vague unpredictable feeling from the front, like you are on and off a train track/rails. It feels like the front suspension and wheels are disconnected to the rest of the car.

I am hoping its the N/S front ball joint as the O/S failed the mot and has just been replaced so the N/S can't have much life left in it. I will change both tie rod ends at the same time (£28).

The cheapest ball joint is around £64 plus vat from Euro car parts - anyone know where a cheaper ball joint can be found?

If that doesn't work then its onto upper control arms, but these looked ok when I took the wheels off this morning. The only bad thing I noticed was a bit of grease showing when I looked up and moved the N/S tie rod end - but I take it this will not cause the unpredictable suspension feeling.

I moved both tie rod ends with my hands quite easy is this ok or should the ball joints be stiffer?

Here we go.

BAZGTR's LEXUS OWNERS TOP TIP.

If you want the cheapest tyres in your area then just find out the local garage the TAXI drivers go to. They are the tightest of the tight and will always know the best place for budgets.

END OF TIP.

I pay around £35 for a Nankang for the size you want. There are others just around the same price.

Your other problem unpredictable suspension feeling

There is so much to cause this include your first lexus drive. If you haven't driven one of these cars before it will feel a little loose as they are desgined for comfort not cornering fast. If you want to change one thing then change the front drop links and let me know if that's better.

One other mods is to get some front and rear strut braces, This will stop your wandering feel and let you corner much better.

• 1 month later...

make sure ALL your tyres inc the spare have the right weight loading and speed rating, you need 150mph+ which i think is V/W/Z and 98w or over for weight, nothing like a blow out while your doing 100mph+ 4 up to kill everyone :)

and obveriously the right tyre pressues (measured cold).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links