Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Engine Lagging After Service / Ecu Reflash / Egr Clean

IS220d SE 06

Hi I've just bought an 06 reg IS220 with 30k on the clock about 2 and a half months ago and brought it in to lexus for a service and requested them to check out the engine down power recall, intermediate service, power steering recall and rear brake caliper recall. They've reflashed the ECU, apparently cleaned the EGR (initially told me they were changing it because the private dealer who sold the car agreed to pay for it, but when I got the car back lexus told me they've only cleaned it), changed the air filter, did the oil service and the steering / brakes recall job, but when I got back my car it is just sluggish - with very bad turbo lag. The engine just wouldn't respond for 1 second or so, especially if the accelerator is floored and seemed to have a 'pull back' effect when 2nd is engaged even at 15mph or less (also other gears). This is especially evident when the engine is cold. Before sending the car in, the car drives smoothly without any 'pull back' effect after gear changes / when accelerating. It was also much more powerful with a less noisy engine.

I've brought it back for about 3 times for them to check it - Add coolant (not done even I've requested that before the service), steering pulling & downpower issue and they said it was because of the different tyre thread, and the power is because of turbo lag (saying that it's the same as their 09 reg new model). I've changed the tyre and brought it back again and they finally sorted the alignment and the car goes straight now (they just blamed the pot holes, whereas I think they've not done the tracking after changing the steering rack!)

I have booked in to ask them to check the power loss again end of this month - this time stating that it happens when it's cold. He said he will charge 1 hour labour & any addition if it's not a recurring problem, or they don't find any problem, so I am not sure whether to live with it or to bring it in to them again. Please advice.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I've just bought an 06 reg IS220 with 30k on the clock about 2 and a half months ago and brought it in to lexus for a service and requested them to check out the engine down power recall, intermediate service, power steering recall and rear brake caliper recall. They've reflashed the ECU, apparently cleaned the EGR (initially told me they were changing it because the private dealer who sold the car agreed to pay for it, but when I got the car back lexus told me they've only cleaned it), changed the air filter, did the oil service and the steering / brakes recall job, but when I got back my car it is just sluggish - with very bad turbo lag. The engine just wouldn't respond for 1 second or so, especially if the accelerator is floored and seemed to have a 'pull back' effect when 2nd is engaged even at 15mph or less (also other gears). This is especially evident when the engine is cold. Before sending the car in, the car drives smoothly without any 'pull back' effect after gear changes / when accelerating. It was also much more powerful with a less noisy engine.

I've brought it back for about 3 times for them to check it - Add coolant (not done even I've requested that before the service), steering pulling & downpower issue and they said it was because of the different tyre thread, and the power is because of turbo lag (saying that it's the same as their 09 reg new model). I've changed the tyre and brought it back again and they finally sorted the alignment and the car goes straight now (they just blamed the pot holes, whereas I think they've not done the tracking after changing the steering rack!)

I have booked in to ask them to check the power loss again end of this month - this time stating that it happens when it's cold. He said he will charge 1 hour labour & any addition if it's not a recurring problem, or they don't find any problem, so I am not sure whether to live with it or to bring it in to them again. Please advice.

Many thanks

No do not live with it, my wife has a 2006 is 220d se and we have had numerous problems with the car. And have had 3 new egr valves, 3 ecu upgrades,3 new cat convertors, new injectors,and last of all a new TURBO, the car does run better now with not much lag at all, also is the car a is220d,or is 220d se, as the gearing is slightly diferent on the base model,my wife's car is now being reviewed by the financial ombudsman as lexus will not admit that they have serious problems with this car!!!!!

No do not live with it, my wife has a 2006 is 220d se and we have had numerous problems with the car. And have had 3 new egr valves, 3 ecu upgrades,3 new cat convertors, new injectors,and last of all a new TURBO, the car does run better now with not much lag at all, also is the car a is220d,or is 220d se, as the gearing is slightly diferent on the base model,my wife's car is now being reviewed by the financial ombudsman as lexus will not admit that they have serious problems with this car!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks. I've brought it in and had it checked - no problems found.. 220d se, but not sport. Should've got myself a is250 instead!

• 10 months later...

Regarding the turbo lag in 2nd (whilst pulling away at low speed)....... I have always wondered myself if it should be so hesitant. To be honest i have just adjusted my driving style and dealt with it.

I am looking to get the chipped / remapped as i know this will fix the problem, give more power,and more economy.

http://www.chipexpress.com/products/1095/

One of my friends has recommend this particular company to me a however i know alot of people who have remapped their car and it makes a diesel so much worth having than a petrol model. (one of my friends remapped his alpha 147, the day he bought it (1 day old car).

Please let me know your thoughts on the lag in 2nd at low speed.

Martingalea123

Regarding the turbo lag in 2nd (whilst pulling away at low speed)....... I have always wondered myself if it should be so hesitant. To be honest i have just adjusted my driving style and dealt with it.

I am looking to get the chipped / remapped as i know this will fix the problem, give more power,and more economy.

http://www.chipexpre.../products/1095/

One of my friends has recommend this particular company to me a however i know alot of people who have remapped their car and it makes a diesel so much worth having than a petrol model. (one of my friends remapped his alpha 147, the day he bought it (1 day old car).

Please let me know your thoughts on the lag in 2nd at low speed.

Martingalea123

Has anyone used/installed one of these chips?

There`s a company in my town that deals in these and wondered what users thoughts were.

• 11 months later...

Guys - thanks for all suggestions

It died last year with clogged egr and bottom part of the engine and had an engine short block rebuilt and an ecu reflash. It's running smoother now with no holding back when upshifting. Power wise still not great, thought smoother. The fuel consumption has gone really poor since the engine rebuild.

I wouldn't want to try chipping it elsewhere because of it's sensitive engine that is prone to clogging up and the warrantee on the engine may void with unauthorise modifications.

In this forum people seems not study, but all the answers of your problems are around in the forum.

So i repeat very fast for the 1000 time ))

- to solve turbolag: install Sprintbooster from Boulekous Dynamic, 250 euro but solve the problem: pay attention, if u run the car with button in red position, it can be dangerous when wife goes to supermarket ))

- problems with EGR, DPNR, 5th inj., dirty recyrculation of vapor oils, etc etc, look the related topics. In general u need to make little modifications to that circuits; if u leave the car as it is, and u simply go to Lexus leader trying to solve problems u will always perpetuate them and spend a lot of money for nothing.

This car is not worst not better then any other turbodiesel Euro 4 or more, like BMW or Mercedes....it has same problems connected to Euro normatives and antipollution circuits which destroy the car. A car like this which runs for it first 100.000 km without solve problems as i told above, will loose inevitably many of its power and torque, because the engine will be completely full of dirty ***** inside.

Try to think....how to avoid that pollutions goes outside he car? Simple!! retain them inside the engine and solidificate them inside all that circuits like the EGR, DPNRs, etc etc.

A modern turbodiesel engine is not exactly something "reliable" for many reasons, mechanical, electronical...but use your brains and u ll have a reliable and more powerful car ;)

• 8 months later...

I've just bought a 2009 220D had it two days and i'm having to adapt my driving style as the Turbo lag is horrendous when pulling away , are they all like this ? Really is border line dangerous ! I now slip the clutch and rev the nuts off it . It's just had an MOT and Main dealer service and has covered just 25,000 miles.

Any ideas would be welcome , it may be just my lack of driving diesels I hope

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

The problem with diesel engines and EGR valves are very common, also with other cars. Mostly related to smaller engines, like 2 liter and below.

There are two reasons in particular causing them:

1. Low engine operating temperture = not proper combustion (like in the old days when forgetting to turn of the manual chocke)

2. EGR (exhaust gas return) valve leading some of the exhaust back into the airflow for second combustion.

After a short time residues from the poor combustion starts forming and will slowly block the EGR circuit or lock the valve in open/closed position. It aslo causes carbon build up on inlet valves, sensors etc.

During this process ECU gets faulty readings from the sensors, and tries to compensate by adjusting fuelling and airmix, makeing it even worse.

And then you get the lamps.... Often you will see an PS2002 error code, indicating that the problem has reached the diesel particulate filter (DPF)

This is why Lexus and others need to spend so much money fixing it, even at no cost for the car owner after the guarantee periode. They don't want a bad reputation.

The cheaper solution is to do a complete clean up of the engine, sarting at the air inlet, and then the engine oil. Until very recently this was not possible, but for the passed 2 years it has.

The system is develpoed by BG products in USA. It is offered by many garages in UK too.

It is called a BG Diesel Induction Service and takes about 2 hours to do.

I would do this myself at 30K miles, and then use BG 109 and DOC every oil change. A can of BG244 every 10 tanks keeps the problem from reappearing.

Good luck !

Thanks BG tab , I will give that a go . I've tried better quality Diesel fuel and some Comma diesel treatment and it has made a difference . just managed 42 mpg over a full tank , car average is 39mpg . Not sure if this is good for the Lexus 220d . I am an advanced driver who believe it or not works for JLR as an Engineer so get to drive Diesel Jags and Land Rovers. I have to say that they are far better than the Lexus or appear to be at the moment . Time will tell it will either get better or I'll trade it for a Jag XF V6D which are bullet proof engine wise.

Hello.

Interesting to learn that you are a JLR engineer.

I actually have a copy of a Tecnical Bulleitn from JLR recommending the use of BG products.

If you can access them the # is SSM46917.

So the BG reputation is good. I got to know the products throug my work with car dealers.

Even Comma and similar products cannot fix the problems once it's there. Dismantling/replasement are the only option to e BG treatment.

Hope it works out for you.