Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clunk Under Heavy Breaking

pgls400

Hi all,

Have only had the beast for a couple of weeks, and have been all over the car and have only needed a new set of leads, and a bloody good clean. I also need a couple of new cat to downpipe gaskets, as i thought my exhaust was blowing, but upon closer inspection, the gaskets are dead. A temporary fix with some gun gum solved that one. Now it just purrs!!!!!

I do have one thing that's worrying me. As the title suggests, i do have a clunk with i hit the brakes hard, but not under smooth breaking. Is this a brake problem of a bush problem. Recently (when i was applying the gun gum to the holes left by the dead exhaust gaskets), i had the car jacked up on the nearside, and checked that wheel, and there were no visible signs of movement, but i havent checked the off side.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Phil.

This could be many things but check these two things first.

Play in one of the upper ball joints. The cluck is when the weight/force of the car breaking moving forward under load and putting extra pressure on the joint and just makes then noise on the suspension strut as it moves.

The other is that the spring or springs(There is two per set of pads) on the brake pads are no longer there and they are clonking into place on heavy breaking under brake pressure.

My option would be the first, upper arm ball joint.

There are other things to check but look at them first before going any futher.

Well, i think i was worrying about nothing.

Just had her in for an MOT, at a local garage, (NOT QUICK FIT!!!!!), and it passed, with no advisorys.

I was relieved as i havent even had the wheels off of it yet. He did tell me that the ball joints are showing some signs of wear, but not enough to justify an advisory.

One thing that did happen though was, this morning the brake warning light came on (the one on the right hand side of the display), and it turned out i had blown a brake light bulb. After looking in the book and wondering how the hell you get into the back of the light, it had started to work again, this time though the warning light on the right had been replaced by the one on the lower left hand side. According to the manual this means the pads are nearing their minimum wear, but how can this be as the pads i have on it are nearly new.

ANy thoughts anyone? I hope this isnt the start of an electrical gremlim!!!

Phil.

Hi all,

Have only had the beast for a couple of weeks, and have been all over the car and have only needed a new set of leads, and a bloody good clean. I also need a couple of new cat to downpipe gaskets, as i thought my exhaust was blowing, but upon closer inspection, the gaskets are dead. A temporary fix with some gun gum solved that one. Now it just purrs!!!!!

I do have one thing that's worrying me. As the title suggests, i do have a clunk with i hit the brakes hard, but not under smooth breaking. Is this a brake problem of a bush problem. Recently (when i was applying the gun gum to the holes left by the dead exhaust gaskets), i had the car jacked up on the nearside, and checked that wheel, and there were no visible signs of movement, but i havent checked the off side.

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Phil.

First of all take the wheels of and check the brake pad retaining clips ( spring clips ) sometimes they become loose and just need easing out a bit to hold the pads more tightly in the calliper housing OR they could have broken which would mean new pads ( unless you could find a way to make some form of springs clips to hold the pads (safely) in )

OR the other problem could be upper /lower ball joints....go for the easy option first and check the pads spring clips.

If you have your brake light on but have new pads then thats only one thing thats wrong. The brake pad sensor is damaged. Loads of threads on this but just cutthe wires strip and tie them together to cancel out the warning light. It's a common fault.

To get into the rear lgih clusters you just need to remove the three or four clips or the interior boot trim and the rear boot plastic surround that sits on the boot lock lip. You can then pull back the trim a little in the corner. There's two 8 or 10mm nuts holding the light on. Undo them and pop out the light. Easy job but could be easier from the design is not the best.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links