Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crank Sensor?

Dave1986

Not too long after getting my cambelt and the likes done last year my car started to randomly cut out...very rarely tho, it done it a few times then never done it again for ageees so i never really thought much of it.

Recently its been happening more often, sometimes it will cut out when idleing and other times when im driving along and i go over a bump or a small pothole it will miss a beat and the power will die, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes long enough that i have to pull over to a stop and start it again. The roads around here are diabolical and its getting a bit of a c**t to drive with my car wanting to die everytime i go over a rough patch. I hate driving around here as my car is very stiff and the roads are a mess.

After fiddling with a diagnostics machine and checking the code online it seems like it is the "crankshaft position sensor"..does this sound like the case to some of u guys with more knowledge than me?

And if so, what kind of money am i looking at for a new1?

I just want my car back to normal so i dnt have to worry about cutting out everytime i go over a bit uneven road

Thanks in advance

don't think its a tooth out on the timing issue if so he would notice a drop in performance(you still doing the drifting??)also its every time he hits a bump which would suggest a poor connection check the wiring/plug on the crankshaft sensor....might not be plugged in correctly.

More likely the cambelt is not properly fitted, could be a tooth out making the VTTi adjustment go "out of range".

Car runs absoloutley fine though, just wants to die at times when it takes a bump, timing is spot on..The code i got from the diagnostics related to "crankshaft position sensor"?

don't think its a tooth out on the timing issue if so he would notice a drop in performance(you still doing the drifting??)also its every time he hits a bump which would suggest a poor connection check the wiring/plug on the crankshaft sensor....might not be plugged in correctly.

Iv stopped drifting the Tez for now, got an omega to crash :) Altezza needs lower ball joints on both sides just now...i fancy harder/stronger bushes all round but spending is on hold for a long time!

I had the car into a garage getting it looked at last thurs, it was all stripped and cleaned then put back together, also had all the wiring checked right back all the way to the ecu but eveything is fine, other than the sensor.. Since then its been a bit better but still dies for a second or 2 when it takes a bump on these lovely roads

How expensive are new sensors for it? Someone said to me around £120 but did say it was a wild guess?

Generally the crankshaft position sensor is located close to the crankshaft pulley at the bottom of the engine.

Due to the fact the crank pulley has to be removed to replace the timing belt there is as other has said a good chance the plug and/or wiring have been disturbed or damaged during the belt change, the fact it is intermittant seems to reinforce this theory.

When CPS fail completely the engine normally fails to start at all.

I would get underneath and have a good look around, check the wiring, plug and make sure the fixing bolt(s) are secure.

Below is a typical layout.

post-12144-127058098319.gif

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links